Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #31
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There is a github project by Microsoft called Font-Validator. On macOS, the built in Font Book will do font validation. But Linux isprobably your best bet as I remember there being a font editing program that validated the full set of font metrics by walking all of the glyphs in a font. You might google "fontforge" or "birdfont" to see if they validate fonts, especially the font metrics.

You should always validate on borh Windows and Linux/Unix/macOS as there are both Windows and unix spevific font tables.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #32
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think there is a python based font module that does validation if I am remembering correctly.

If the font metrics for height and descenders are not correct you will see a partial line. To make things more difficult there are cases where height includes ascender and decenders and others where they do not.

Just try replacing the font with a known good font, and if theproblem goes away, the issue is with the font (bad or missing font metric data tables).
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I think there is a python based font module that does validation if I am remembering correctly.

If the font metrics for height and descenders are not correct you will see a partial line. To make things more difficult there are cases where height includes ascender and decenders and others where they do not.

Just try replacing the font with a known good font, and if theproblem goes away, the issue is with the font (bad or missing font metric data tables).
That's why I asked where he obtained that particular Charis SIL. we know that Wolfie uses it all the time; so, if he had a bad version, Wolfie could point him to a known quantity and see if that would fix it. That's kinda how my thinking on this is running, too. Funky Font-ness.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
@abecedarian, I suggest you give ChareInk a try. It's based on Charis SIL 5.0 and it has kerning and the bad line height has been fixed.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
That's why I asked where he obtained that particular Charis SIL. we know that Wolfie uses it all the time; so, if he had a bad version, Wolfie could point him to a known quantity and see if that would fix it. That's kinda how my thinking on this is running, too. Funky Font-ness.

Hitch
I just pointed abecedarian to ChareInk ehich is made from Charis SIL 5.0.

As for Charis SIL, I've never see this issue in any version of the Calibre viewer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #36
KevinH
Wizard

FWIW, All it would take is the line height to be off by 1 pixel in the bad font and that can add up over the page length to end up being half a line. I have seen this problem in other editors. I rarely use calibre so I can not comment on that. I have also seen this problem caused by reported page window sizes being off by half a line even with good fonts.

It looks easy but paginating like calibre's ebook viewer does can be quite difficult to do perfectly. It is not easy.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #37
abecedarian
abecedarian began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre, Kobo Aura H2O
Hi guys! I just want to let you know that the help I got from everyone is more than I could ever have anticipated. So thank you all for the profuse amount of help you are providing on this issue. I'm learning so many new things regarding fonts that I think it will take some time for me to explore and comprehend all the different suggestions that you have been giving. I just need some time to try out all these different proposals. I'll come back as soon as possible. In the mean time I'll keep an eye on this thread.
abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre