Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #16
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
This is useful advice; I'll give it a try once the ePub is completed and backed up.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It was depreciated and then un-depreciated. They (Web Standards) then decided <b> is literally bold and <strong> is semantic, but always rendered bold unless the CSS does something different. They can be the same via CSS.

It's alleged than some screen readers differentiate between <b> and <strong>, though mine don't!

It's likely you can just search and replace if you feel you need to change it.

Note that while ebooks use HTML and CSS largely the same way as web pages, they are not web pages.

Also a Chapter Heading might not be using <strong> or <b> but an H class. Probably shouldn't be using <b> or <strong> directly. Arguably only a word or phrase inline in a styled (via CSS) paragraph would directly have <b>, <i> and the semantic alternatives.
Very well said!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #18
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
These extensions did exactly what I wanted; thank you for your advice!
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Is there a way to replace every instance of that particular <span> tag in an ePub, including the closing tag with a <strong> tag, other than doing it all manually?
As a few other users have pointed out, DiapDealer's two plugins are perfect for this.

For Calibre, you could use his Diap's Editing Toolbag.

For Sigil, you could use his TagMechanic.

I wrote some instructions with pictures just a few months ago in:

"How do I change italic <i> shortcut to use <em> instead?"

In order to go from <span class="bold"> -> <b>, you have to use slightly different settings:

Action Type: Modify
Tag name: span
Having the attribute: class
Whose value is (no quotes): bold
Change tag to: b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
So now I'm confused about the difference between the strong and em tags.
For all the technical details on <i> vs. <em>, <b> vs. <strong>, and <span class="italics"> vs. <i>/<em>, see the famous thread from earlier this year:

"<i>, <em> or <span> for italics?"

<em> = emphasis, like:

Code:
"Don't you know <em>you're</em> supposed to walk the dog today?"
<strong> is meant for "important information", like:

Code:
<strong>WARNING!</strong> Minefield ahead!
Also see MDN's article on it, where they also explain the differences between:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...Element/strong
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote