Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
So I presume wanting to use Comic Sans MS is out of the question Hitch?
Wiseass.

I will have you all know that the dreaded Comic Sans has an open, lower-case "g" for all its faces. Regular, bold, italic and bold-italic.

Gg

Which, for the edification of all concerned, I demonstrate herewith.

It's not that I mean to go off, but when I finally realized that the bloody typeface didn't have the open g's in its bold and italic style faces, my brain melted. (Note, he ignored my first post asking if the faces had been embedded.)

I mean, here we are, all discussing these style variants, Kobo's RMSDK...and the entire time, the desired character glyph didn't exist. This request is effectively The Emperor's New Clothes meets a snipe hunt, and our forum posts up to that point were discussing the tailoring being worn by the damn snipe.

So, yes, it makes me cranky.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There is an option: Do not embed bold and italic variants, and let the device (if it supports it) artificially embolden and/or slant the font. As anything else, it depends on what the device might or might not do.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2020, 02:43 AM   #18
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Gentium plus does have open lower case "g" at unicode position uni-0261 as it should.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:12 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
Gentium plus does have open lower case "g" at unicode position uni-0261 as it should.
Gentium Plus does not have a bold face, though, isn't that right? Or am I mis-remembering?

Didn't the OP specify regular, bold AND italic?

@Jellby--what devices support emboldening and slanting, on the device through simply the use of the HTML i/b or em/strong, without the embedded fonts?

Hitch
Old 09-20-2020, 03:27 AM   #20
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

...Genitum basic & Gentium bold basic & Genitum book basic & Gentium book bold basic also have it.

To me it looks like OP choose wrong Gentium.

edit: font names

Last edited by najgori; 09-20-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Advert
Old 09-20-2020, 03:56 AM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
@Jellby--what devices support emboldening and slanting, on the device through simply the use of the HTML i/b or em/strong, without the embedded fonts?
I don't know, even if they do I try to avoid it But I think browsers do, and KOReader too, so I guess there are more.

Last edited by Jellby; 09-20-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:26 AM   #22
najgori
Klak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I don't know, even if they do I try to avoid it But I think browsers do, and KOReader too, so I guess there are more.
In 1994. QuarkXpress did it. Text printed but it looked like sh*t, obviously.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
...Genitum basic & Gentium bold basic & Genitum book basic & Gentium book bold basic also have it.

To me it looks like OP choose wrong Gentium.

edit: font names
Jesus. all this fooferah over choosing a font that doesn't have the characters that an OCD customer wants.

Hitch
Old 09-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Another problem with SIL fonts is no kerning. So Gentium won't look all that good because of lack of kerning.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another problem with SIL fonts is no kerning. So Gentium won't look all that good because of lack of kerning.
Jon, dear:

eBooks, not print, rightyO? Ixnay on the ern-kay.

Hitch

Tags
character display, double-storey, single-storey