Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
When I click "Try It Now" I get AmGov by Christine Barbour and it is scrollable, not reflowable and it is not fixed layout.
It looks like every chapter is one long rotulus where you scroll up and down, so it is not reflowable - perhaps that is the way that javascript renders epub, but without original epub I don't know.
We can slap the RPNs in there--a page map and we can slap the visible page numbers in there, too. It will significantly interfere with the layout of the eBook. This is "one of those;" it's an eBook that is, in actuality, reflowable, but it's formatted to the nth damn degree. When I originally met with this client, I proposed fixed-layout--that's how heavily-formatted it is, and all you guys know, I call FXL the "Format of last resort" for a reason. But they wanted reflow and we made it so. Nonetheless, it's rife with text boxes, tables...I just dread the thought of of adding these RPNs and visible page numbers. I know--KNOW--the client isn't going to be happy with the result.

They're already cranky (not with us) because the WAY that the page flows doesn't align, visually, with how they 'see' the book pages. When we add these PNs...well. URGH.

I agree with najgori about what s/he sees here. It's like this odd critter, neither beast nor fowl.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
When I click "Try It Now" I get AmGov by Christine Barbour and it is scrollable, not reflowable and it is not fixed layout.
It looks like every chapter is one long rotulus where you scroll up and down, so it is not reflowable - perhaps that is the way that javascript renders epub, but without original epub I don't know.
When I tried the RedShelf try it now, it was reflowable. When I shrank the web page, the text reflowed. I've attached a couple of images of what I saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redshelf_large.png
Views:	31
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	181949   Click image for larger version

Name:	redshelf_small.png
Views:	33
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	181950  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #48
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Reflowable means no scrollbar.

edit:...meaning, text should "flow" to next page.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I tried the RedShelf try it now, it was reflowable. When I shrank the web page, the text reflowed. I've attached a couple of images of what I saw.
Yes, and the mobileRead web page is reflowable exactly the same way. It is displayed as HTML in a browser.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
It's also slow and those annoying flashing dots. MEH! BAH! AWFUL!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #51
phillipgessert
Connoisseur
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:

Not exactly; reflowability in this context has to do with content reflowing according to viewport size or display preferences, and that's not incompatible with vertical scrolling. Lots of e-readers support scrolling as an alternative to "pages." Now if that were a horizontal scrollbar, it might be different.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:

You and I have very different ideas of what reflowable means. To me, reflowable does not mean no scroll bar, it means the presentation is adapted to the output device regardless of whether that output device uses flow or paged mode. Which as the two sample images I posted shows that RedShelf does. Your logic would seem to state that when I am viewing an epub using calibre's viewer, I must use page mode or the ebook will not be reflowable.

Now if it had horizontal and vertical scrollbars such as many PDF viewers...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #53
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Suggestion: you, or your client, invests in an existing Redshelf publication and then you can dissect it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Red, you crush me! You never thought I'd think of that? Sheesh, you wrong me, brother!
Quote:
...or one could use browser web inspector and directly read book code.
Is this demo epub even reflowable, or is it fixed layout?
Quote:
Sorry… silly questions time, they can sometimes trigger an ah-ha moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Redshelf epubs are reflowable. Just that they do not have useful documentation on the accessibility requirements. What they seem to want is a page list in the navigation document ( the first sample is from an epub3 book's nav.xhtml, the second from the toc.ncx included for epub2 renderers):

Code:
<nav role="doc-pagelist" aria-label="Page list" epub:type="page-list">
<h2>Pagebreaks of the print version</h2>
<snip>
Q.E.D.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Q.E.D.

BR
I'm beginning to regret bringing this all up here. I mean, I didn't intend for any punching fights to start, lol.

I tend to agree that a scroll bar doesn't fit my idea of reflowable; (it's clear that like so many things, we all have our own ideas about what that is) that does help explain to me what the client means about the book not fitting their "pages." (sigh).

I'm just going to tell the client we'll slap in the page map...only god knows what it will do to their to-the-gnat's-ass layout and formatting, but you gotta slay the biggest dragon first, I guess.

(SIGH).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:47 AM   #55
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
Not exactly; reflowability in this context has to do with content reflowing according to viewport size or display preferences, and that's not incompatible with vertical scrolling. Lots of e-readers support scrolling as an alternative to "pages." Now if that were a horizontal scrollbar, it might be different.
Not on any of my Sonys, Kobos and Kindles. I guess I will have to read more and search harder to find such ebook.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #56
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Quote:
What are reflowable eBooks?
Reflowable eBooks, sometimes called standard or flowing eBooks, are eBook files where the content will adjust (reflow) depending upon the reading system being used to view the file. For example, the amount of content visible on a single screen on an eBook being viewed on a smartphone will be much less than the amount of content shown on one screen of the same file being viewed on a larger device such as an iPad or PC.

With reflowable formats the person reading the book can usually adjust the text size, font, and other view settings, using their device or software.

Most eBooks are created in reflowable, rather than fixed-layout, formats as there is wide support across different retailers and reading systems, and the development costs are lower than fixed-layout formats.
The almighty internetz have spoken...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #57
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not on any of my Sonys, Kobos and Kindles. I guess I will have to read more and search harder to find such ebook.
It's not the ebook that has to be set up special for scrolling support...it's the device or app that needs to support the function. My iOS reader of choice, Marvin, handles it automatically on any ePub when I choose "scrolling" instead of "paging" in the software's settings.

edit: The viewing or reading functions, scrolling vs. paging, should not be confused with whether it is a fixed layout or reflowable book. It is perfectly possible to have a reflowable book being viewed in a scrolling manner - where the (vertical) scroll bar is either a means of navigation or just an indicator of your place in the document. The reflowable function would apply if/when the font size changed, or the width of the screen changed (portrait/landscape), etc. The number of words on a given line might change which in-turn changes the "length" of the document thus causing the scrollbar to cover more, or less, landscape when it moves.

Last edited by Turtle91; 09-15-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #58
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Also, from what I understand, eink devices have a little trouble (ie. they can't) with scrolling text. But other Kindles (Fire) are able to just fine. Here is a site with instructions on how to turn the feature on/off.

In addition, Kobo seems to have "page transition settings" that allow scrolling:
Quote:
The options will be "Plain", "Page Flip", "Page Fade", "Page Curl",
and "Scrolling".
Cheers,

Last edited by Turtle91; 09-15-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
The Fire is a Tablet. I think they dropped Kindle from the name?

I doubt any dedicated ereader sensibly scrolls. Scrolls are stupid and it was really silly that Websites in 1992 went back over 2000 years. Pages are far better.

I'd love my web browser to paginate. The one on the Kindle DXG does. IMO the later webrowsers on eink are all horrible to use.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #60
najgori
Klak

...about horizontal scrolling

What we really have now on hardware eink readers is horizontal scrolling, only page by page.
You only have to imagaine epub rendered as in Dead Sea Qumran Scrolls where on one horizontal scroll text is written in columns big image