Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #31
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
From a quick google, and browse of https://github.com/reHackable/awesome-reMarkable, I don’t believe it there’s anything that does support that sort of thing - you’re probably going to need iOS or Android with encryption enabled if that’s a requirement.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:44 AM   #32
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Thanks! I sent them a tech question, but maybe somebody here knows. Do any of the alternate readers, or possibly the OS itself suppose onboard encryption?
Nope, and cloud encryption seems to mean TLS when connecting to google cloud's server and encryption (at the server/storage layer, not specially for your data).
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #33
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Thanks! I sent them a tech question, but maybe somebody here knows. Do any of the alternate readers, or possibly the OS itself suppose onboard encryption? It mentions encrypted cloud storage and fine transfer, bt there's no indication that you can protect the documents that are retained on the device itself.
I don't think this is likely to be different between rM2 and rM1, so my guess is, probably not. My rM1 offers to lock the device with a password, an option that I have never enabled; but encrypting the documents would make the device much more cumbersome to use - in my opinion, its strength is enabling you to work with a document, then quickly switch to another, let it go to sleep, wake up fast...

If you have to type in a password every time, plus the time (and CPU) for decryption, you'll lose much of the efficiency.

I ordered the newer version, despite already owning the older one. If it's just more of the same, but slightly faster and with a bit more battery life, it's still a very good device for my use cases (reading PDFs, annotating them, taking handwritten notes). It's probably also very good if you want to sketch, as it's obviously what it was intended for.

For other uses, I don't think it will be very good. Storage is limited; no light; and it doesn't natively support third-party apps.

To be honest, I'm not even sure the differences between the two versions warrant buying a new device altogether, but hey, I ordered during the COVID lockdown; I wasn't losing any income and was spending much less than usual... so I could afford it.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #34
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
in my opinion, its strength is enabling you to work with a document, then quickly switch to another, let it go to sleep, wake up fast...

If you have to type in a password every time, plus the time (and CPU) for decryption, you'll lose much of the efficiency.
However, for somebody working in law, banking, or real estate, efficiency isn't the only concern. You have client privacy to worry about. If this is ever expected to replace a legal pad, it will have to offer data protection.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
However, for somebody working in law, banking, or real estate, efficiency isn't the only concern. You have client privacy to worry about. If this is ever expected to replace a legal pad, it will have to offer data protection.
That is why one firm I do some work for decided to not order the Remarkable 2 and continue with the Sony DTP-RP1/CP1 devices. The original reply they go from Remarkable seems to suggest that encryption is supported but a closer reading says that encryption is only for data stored in the Google cloud or being transferred between the device and the cloud. As a legal firm, on-device encryption is pretty much mandatory. The 10 week delay for their sample device didn't help either.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #36
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
It’s an interesting consideration, as on the one hand, replacing a legal pad should realistically need no more encryption than a piece of paper supplies, but it’ll be compared with a laptop rather than a legal pad so probably will have issues in certain market sectors...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
It’s an interesting consideration, as on the one hand, replacing a legal pad should realistically need no more encryption than a piece of paper supplies, but it’ll be compared with a laptop rather than a legal pad so probably will have issues in certain market sectors...
I asked a question about this and at that legal firm, their corporate policy with the legal pads was that the pages were transcribed and then shredded. Not to mention that since they were mostly in shorthand, the person who wrote the notes was often the only person who could easily read them. I hadn't realized that even for people trained in a shorthand system, their notes often became very idiosyncratic as they develop their own symbols/abbreviations/whatever.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #38
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
I think this part of the market has already been cornered by Sony, right? I'd say reMarkable not trying to compete with Sony on their established turf is a rather smart move. Or, in this case, absence of move.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I think this part of the market has already been cornered by Sony, right? I'd say reMarkable not trying to compete with Sony on their established turf is a rather smart move. Or, in this case, absence of move.
There are a few competitors in that niche market but, yeah, it's a niche.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #40
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There are a few competitors in that niche market but, yeah, it's a niche.
At these prices, if Sony's had an aluminum case (like my awesome 505 did), I'd probably go with that. I think I'm sold on reMarkable.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #41
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
I like that this device has a large 10 inch screen when all other devices are around 6 inches, and that it seems that it runs PDFs smoothly.

But it seems this can't connect on the internet so that you can't read online articles and books from sites like archive.org and projectgutenberg. And reviewers say that inporting ebooks on it is a drag.

So can anyone recommend me a device with 10 inch screen which can connect to internet and run PDFs smoothly?

EDIT ok, I see that Kobo Forma is something like that.

Last edited by prom king; 08-29-2020 at 01:04 PM.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #42
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^

I'm considering the Boox Note2 or the ReMarkable 2.

The boox Note2 is supposed to be more of an actual ebook reader, and is supposed to work excellently with PDF files.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #43
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^

I'm considering the Boox Note2 or the ReMarkable 2.

The boox Note2 is supposed to be more of an actual ebook reader, and is supposed to work excellently with PDF files.
I just got an Onyx Boox Note 2 and seems to be working very well with both its stock software and with KOReader. I was somewhat leery of trying an Onyx device, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised, with its features and performance. I did notice that a number of its features are "phone home", possibly to China through the cloud. I just keep the WiFi off most of the time and don't enable it for those features (mostly that means not using them, not a loss, in my case).

You can download the user's manual (PDF).

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you for the info on Boox Note2.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #45
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom king View Post
I like that this device has a large 10 inch screen when all other devices are around 6 inches, and that it seems that it runs PDFs smoothly.

But it seems this can't connect on the internet so that you can't read online articles and books from sites like archive.org and projectgutenberg. And reviewers say that inporting ebooks on it is a drag.

So can anyone recommend me a device with 10 inch screen which can connect to internet and run PDFs smoothly?

EDIT ok, I see that Kobo Forma is something like that.
I've pre-ordered a reMarkable 2, and the built-in workaround for not having its own browser is a Chrome plug-in to send web pages from your PC to your reMarkable. Apparently, there's also a MacOS script that adds a "printer driver" for the reMarkable, and you can send any document from a Mac by "printing" it.

(I'm buying primarily for the note-taking and handwriting recognition capabilities.)