Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
José Soto
José Soto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite / iPad
Is is possible to share free epubs with the public through Calibre itself?

I have written some essays and small ebooks that I'd like to make public (for free) in EPUB format. Is this possible through Calibre?

I've noticed platforms in which this is possible, like http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/ but the set up is too complicated for me. The best I've found so far is Dropbox, but their site is quite slow with epubs. I'm wondering whether there's a secure way to set up the Calibre sharing options so that my library is available to anyone with the ebook links (or who find it online).
José Soto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by José Soto View Post
I have written some essays and small ebooks that I'd like to make public (for free) in EPUB format. Is this possible through Calibre?

I've noticed platforms in which this is possible, like http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/ but the set up is too complicated for me. The best I've found so far is Dropbox, but their site is quite slow with epubs. I'm wondering whether there's a secure way to set up the Calibre sharing options so that my library is available to anyone with the ebook links (or who find it online).
I'd suggest running calibre and it's content server on a separate computer with your network router set to allow it to be accessed from the Internet on the ports used to connect to the content server. The library on that computer would only have your public domain epubs on it. Once you've created the computer, take a full backup of it allowing you to do a bare metal restore.

For my setup, I placed the computer in my router's DMZ which is configured not to allow access to the internal network from the DMZ (much like a guest network). When I want to update the books, I allow that connection but then remove it. You are not paranoid when they are out to get you.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Note Free <> Public Domain. A book obtained for free might be copyright and have no permission to reshare it.

Genuine Public Domain works can be shared on this site. I think that's a good solution.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
Chrystalline
Enthusiast
Chrystalline began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Did you know that Kobo will publish almost anything? I have literally found (terrible) fanfiction published as free ebooks on Kobo.com so if you have stuff that you wrote (and therefore you own the copyright) you can publish through Kobo and have it be free to the public. Saves you the trouble of hosting it!
Chrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystalline View Post
Did you know that Kobo will publish almost anything? I have literally found (terrible) fanfiction published as free ebooks on Kobo.com so if you have stuff that you wrote (and therefore you own the copyright) you can publish through Kobo and have it be free to the public. Saves you the trouble of hosting it!
You can find that crap on almost every ebook publishing site. Throw your slushpile at the public and see if anything sticks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystalline View Post
Also true for Smashwords, Google, Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble and Google Playstore books in terms of content.

However many don't allow you price at Free.

They only really care that the formatting / Index works, you have the right to publish and they won't get in trouble because of the content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote