Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #316
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Attached is an update to Mobi_Unpack_v0.45, a python 2.X program which works with both older mobi and newer KF8 mobi formats. It includes a Graphical User Interface frontend.
This is failing on the first KF8 I tried it on. So the problem may be at my end. I get the same failure using ebook-convert in Calibre 0.8.42, presumably from its version of the unpack code.

The ebook is asin B005IEGK5C (Turing's Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe by George Dyson) and I downloaded it to K4PC version 1.9.1. The sample exhibits the problem. What I get is:
Code:
Conversion Log 

Command = "python mobiunpack.py"
Mobi Path = "C:\Users\Alan\Documents\My Kindle Content\B005IEGK5C_EBSP.azw"
Output Path = "C:\Users\Alan\Documents\My eBooks\SOFTWARE\Mobi_Unpack_v045\Mobi_Unpack\Dyson_TC"
Options = "-d"

Please Wait ...

MobiUnpack 0.45
  Copyright (c) 2009 Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
  With Additions by P. Durrant, K. Hendricks, S. Siebert, fandrieu, DiapDealer, nickredding.
Unpacking Book...
Palm DB type:  BOOKMOBI
Mobi Version:  8
Codec:  utf-8
Title:  Turing&#x2019;s Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe
Palmdoc compression
firstaddl 2c
ncxidx ffffffff
exth flags 1058
skelidx 27
dividx 24
othidx 29
fdst 86

Processing K8 format Ebook ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "lib\mobi_unpack.py", line 1184, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "lib\mobi_unpack.py", line 1172, in main
    unpackBook(infile, outdir)
  File "lib\mobi_unpack.py", line 736, in unpackBook
    uncompressed_data = zlib.decompress(data, -15)
zlib.error: Error -3 while decompressing data: invalid block type
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 450 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 451 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 452 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 453 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 504 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 405 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 406 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 407 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 403 found
MetaData from EXTH
{'ISBN': ['978-0-307-90706-6'], '450 (hex)': ['00000000'], 'Title': ['Turing&#x2019;s Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe'], 'Clipping Limit': ['0'], 'Fake Cover': ['0'], 'sample': ['1'], 'Codec': ['utf-8'], 'Font Signature (hex)': ['8700008050000000000000000000008000200000000000000000000000000000edbbfde501bd01f801e701e102d307c64094409340994098409c409d40a240a640b240b340c442d8449e'], 'K8(129)_Masthead/Cover_Image': ['kindle:embed:0001'], 'ASIN': ['B005IEGK5C'], 'Language': ['en-us'], 'Watermark': ['atv:kin:1:e+ilN1YvGlfTYxKEpQ+nVyAtCJ25P7eAI016TPM0E2CyqOi+JBAC8IT4B1fZJb/5xbbW1Js0Pi7R8GfttVlALys7cjmnlad/5WHXjHHDYDIiwuQ2OfpX2S7OpUReCTUKdmIhbJ8DXHUGwjVVbRucJF4EvecYIrN+lZ+U/GPeUOc=:pAS3rR9WtVUcbXsGs/7UPtGGv9M='], 'Rights': ['Copyright &#x00A9; 2012 by George Dyson'], '451 (hex)': ['001e1bb0'], '452 (hex)': ['00000000'], '407 (hex)': ['0000000000000000'], 'StartOffset': ['9368'], 'ThumbOffset': ['89'], 'CDE Type': ['EBSP'], 'Publisher': ['Random House, Inc.'], '504 (hex)': ['423030354945474b3543'], 'Updated Title': ["Turing's Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe"], 'Creator Software': ['301'], 'Tamper Proof Keys (hex)': ['01000000d000000001940000000191000000019500000001960000000197'], 'Published': ['2012-03-06'], 'Text to Speech Disabled': ['0'], 'Creator Major Version': ['2'], 'Creator': ['Dyson, George'], '403 (hex)': ['00'], '406 (hex)': ['0000000000000000'], '405 (hex)': ['00'], '453 (hex)': ['0001edab'], 'Creator Build Number': ['35749'], 'CoverOffset': ['7'], 'K8(125)_Count_of_Resources_Fonts_Images': ['9'], 'UniqueID': ['2698837455'], 'Creator Minor Version': ['2'], 'K8(131)_Unidentified_Count': ['4294967295'], 'Drm Ebookbase Book Id': ['0000000501507']}
Unpack raw markup language
Unpacking images, resources, fonts, etc
firstaddl is  44
num_sections is  136
K8Boundary is  -1
Section is  44
    extracting resource:  resc00001.dat
Section is  45
    extracting image:  image00002.jpeg
Section is  46

Error: Unpacking Failed
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #317
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@wallcraft: See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/953260
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #318
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Perhaps some fonts are being compressed with something other than zlib? Or different zlib compression flags. Easy enough to work around, but I'd like to discover the reason they're failing to uncompress in the long run.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #319
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In their publishing guidelines amazon claim they obfuscate fonts in kf8, that would likely be the cause.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #320
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In their publishing guidelines amazon claim they obfuscate fonts in kf8, that would likely be the cause.
Oh, that sounds very likely. I wonder what algorithm they're using. I guess they must do it at their end, as fonts aren't obfuscated in the output of Kindlegen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #321
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, that sounds very likely. I wonder what algorithm they're using. I guess they must do it at their end, as fonts aren't obfuscated in the output of Kindlegen.
I think it's done in the ePub, actually. But maybe it's different in this case—since even obfuscated fonts continue to work in epub readers, you just can't extract them and use them for anything else (regardless of DRM).

Hmm... never mind. It must be something else (or different obfuscation). ePubs using either Adobe's or IDPF's obfuscation (applied with Sigil) result in embedded fonts not working at all when run through the latest kindlegen.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #322
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The first 1040 bytes of the *compressed* font are XORed with a (seemingly randomnly generated) key. I have committed code to calibre to de-obfuscate them. Given that the MOBI format itself is a much harder form of obfuscation, I have no idea why amazon felt the need to implement a XOR on top of it, but then I have no idea why Amazon makes have the technical decisions it does...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #323
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The first 1040 bytes of the *compressed* font are XORed with a (seemingly randomnly generated) key. I have committed code to calibre to de-obfuscate them. Given that the MOBI format itself is a much harder form of obfuscation, I have no idea why amazon felt the need to implement a XOR on top of it, but then I have no idea why Amazon makes have the technical decisions it does...
1040 bytes sounds like the IDPF font obfuscation algorithm.
http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/FontMan....0.1_draft.htm
http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-...nt-obfuscation

In which case, the key might also be the one specified in those documents. But since the XOR key is given in the file, I suppose it doesn't matter whether it is or not.

I'm not sure that de-obfustication code should go in calibre, unless any output is re-obfusticated. Simple though it is, I think it could be argued that the obfuscation is a digital rights management method, and that removing it might make calibre an illegal bit of software under the DMCA.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #324
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is no way to obfuscate a font in an open source application (for the same reason that it is impossible to implement DRM in an open source application). If someone wishes to argue that therefore open source applications must never be allowed to access embedded fonts in any document, let them make that argument, we'll see how far they can take it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #325
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Any chance for an update to MobiUnpack to handle KF8 files with embedded obfuscated fonts?

About 10% of the KF8 files I have tried from Amazon error out when I try to unpack them using version 0.45. Almost all of them display properly in the latest versions of Calibre.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #326
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I beleive one is in the works.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #327
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
New Version: Mobi_Unpack_v047.py

Hi All,

Attached is the very latest version of Mobi_Unpack.py (v047) which adds support for obfuscated fonts and opentype fonts plus a number of other bug fixes.

Have Fun!

KevinH
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi_Unpack_v047.zip (45.5 KB, 9889 views)
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #328
lizcastro
lizcastro doesn't litterlizcastro doesn't litter

Device: iPad, NOOK, Kindle, Kobo
Mobi Unpack usage

Hi you all. Thank you so much for developing this tool. I have found it very useful.

One doubt. When I double-click the Mobi_Unpack.pyw file on Mac, it asks me for the app I want to open it with. So instead, I go to Terminal, navigate to the MU folder, type python and then type Mobi_Unpack.pyw. And then I get the GUI.

What am I not doing to be able to double-click?

(I'm about to write up my workaround, but I hate feeling like an idiot for not knowing the normal way!

thanks again,
Liz
lizcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #329
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I think you just need to associate .PYW files with the Python launcher... which may be what it's prompting you to do. Someone with more Mac experience will have to provide the details, but I'm certain it's fairly trivial.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-09-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #330
lizcastro
lizcastro doesn't litterlizcastro doesn't litter

Device: iPad, NOOK, Kindle, Kobo
Python Launcher! Didn't know it existed. Google and this page helped me find it:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ry/579790.html

Once I drag Mobi_Unpack_v047.pyw to it the first time, it remembers it for the next time. Excellent!

Thanks. Sometimes you just need to know the right question to ask...

best,
Liz
lizcastro is offline   Reply With Quote