Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Trying Multiple Formats on Kindle DX

Okay

Comics:
Doable. Not great. Screen is still just a bit too small for vertical use, but horizontal works fine. The method I was using is a PDF, I imagine a purer format one might get out of Calibre would be much better. But currently that's not an option. The grayscale looks great, but text is often to small. The vertical didn't seem to crop the white edges like the vertical.

Magazine:
I scanned (very high quality scan, mind you) a few pages of a standard glossy. Text is again too small for vertical use, but horizontally it is very readable.

PDF text:
Tried a number of these. One had a standard 12pt Times Roman font. A BIT too small on the screen vertically. Horizontally was about 11pt and very readable. It also leaves a bit of the last page up top so if you're cut in the middle of the line you're fine.

A smaller PDF that actually got enlarged a bit with the screen was very nice and very readable.

PDF tables of contents do NOT work - and that is a big pain in the butt.

Badly scanned PDF:
I scanned a few pages from a book - two pages showing. Unreadable in horizontal, too small. When turned it tried to be smart and just show part of page but you hit next and you'd get lines, etc - boy... this is hard to explain. Okay... Included a screenshot (first one)

Scanned journal article:
Single column - looks great

Digitial journal article:
wonderful

PDFs, text and scanned - were often very slow to change pages (sometimes as long as 5 seconds - and this file was only 4.6mb)

(I'll add more as I do more).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-63049.gif
Views:	354
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	30631  
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

And no, Calibre doesn't see it yet. But I'm sure Kovid will have that going soon.
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Actually Calibre does see it. You have to download the .06 beta Calibre.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Support for the DX is in 0.6.0. Try the Beta and help with the DX support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, I found that after. I wrote that post as I actually did it.

Support is good, except for PDFs.
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I have DVDs that contain the entire publication history of 'The National Lampoon' and 'Mad Magazine' (got them off Amazon, every issue ever published!)

For chuckles, I put one of each on my new DX. They read surprisingly well! For those pages which are hard to read horizontally, vertically works just fine.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote