Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #181
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Thanks Zelda, that's indeed a nice trick. I'm now playing with it, and here's the same thing "cleaned-up" and with the elements made visible:

(Edited for space)

I think the css is self-explanatory, this keeps the settings specific to an image separated from the global ones. The max-widths are actually optional, but the widths (and height) are proportional to them (I guess that makes it impossible to use percent values, as then width and height proportions are not linked). I don't know if it would be possible to do something more self-contained, that allows an easier change of the image size...

Hi all,
I realise this thread is rather old, but I am just wondering if someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

I read the various posts in this thread about this image (Alice talking to the Cheshire Cat) and wanted to replicate it myself, so followed the instructions to the letter (actually, copied and pasted both the css code into the style sheet, and the html code into the body, adjusting for the size of the image - mine is a gif, 342x480).
In fact, I tried all 3 versions detailed in this thread, and got the same (or at least they looked similar) results every time.....and that is, it looks perfect in Sigil (screenshot attached), but doesn't work in any of the e-book previewers I have (iBooks, ADE, and Kindle Previewer) or my Kindle Paperwhite - see attached screenshots. .

I am sure it is something I am not understanding and am doing wrong, but I have spent quite a few hours on it now, adjusting various things, and have not been able to get a different result.

I could paste the code in here, but it is simply a copy and paste of code earlier in this thread, and it seems to work OK in Sigil.

Does anyone have any idea where I should be looking please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil Preview.png
Views:	564
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	143848   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE.png
Views:	564
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	143849   Click image for larger version

Name:	iBooks.png
Views:	558
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	143850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Previewer.png
Views:	587
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	143851  
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #182
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrixxxxxxxx View Post
Does anyone have any idea where I should be looking please?
I encountered exactly the same problems.

Check out this solution by RbnJrg.

It works with ADE, iBooks and AZW3 books. The only downside is that the image won't resize if the user changes the font size.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #183
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Thanks Doitsu. I'll have a look.
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #184
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Formatting centuries (French)

Hi
Putting the Calibre editor "report" to good use, I obtained a list of Roman digits (see screenshot). I wish to enclose them in a span only if they are followed by the expression
Code:
<sup>e</sup>*
My aim is to obtain for them this code for example:
Code:
<span class="century">XII</span><sup>e</sup>*
Code:
.century {
 font-size: smaller;
 text-transform: uppercase;
}
* is (&)#160;
Doing this way, I do not modify other names like: Chapter XII, Charles IV which are NOT centuries.

To check them one by one for each number would be very long for a full book. Is there a code I could use to get this result? Up to now none of them has a span. All the centuries have this <sup>e</sup>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	century.png
Views:	569
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	149063  

Last edited by roger64; 05-31-2016 at 10:02 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #185
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You could use a simple regex search & replace operation. The following should work both in Sigil and Calibre Editor:

Find:([MDCLXVI]+)<sup>e</sup>
Replace:<span class="century">\1</span><sup>e</sup>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM   #186
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. Solved (27 items modified).

I suppressed the M in the search field because we have also some M<sup>e</sup> which means "maître" (say a lawyer).
Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #187
roger64
Wizard

Only the text please

Hi

It happens we may have to intersperse within the text a lot of no-break spaces or narrow-no-break spaces (if they did not do it before with the text processor). In French, we have to do it according to specific typographic "rules" (before some punctuation signs, among them
Code:
? ! : ;
It's tricky to do it because many tags, including in the head, contain such signs and if you add some no-break space there, you trigger parsing mistakes.

So, the question is: how can I insert these signs only within the text and avoid spoiling any tag?

For example:

- Nothing here:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="fr-FR" xml:lang="fr-FR">
- Only for the red print here:

Code:
<p class="standard">« Cette lettre en est la preuve ! C’est à cause de cette Sylvia Sheilds. Elle lui a tourné la tête. Il est tout bizarre depuis qu’elle a quitté l’île. » Mon père avait donc lu la lettre ! Mon estomac se contracta.</p>

Last edited by roger64; 06-15-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #188
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
It's tricky to do it because many tags, including in the head, contain such signs and if you add some no-break space there, you trigger parsing mistakes.

So, the question is: how can I insert these signs only within the text and avoid spoiling any tag?
Perhaps the calibre editor or Sigil provide some 'text only' checkbox in their search/replace?

To do the job properly requires an XML parser linked to the search/replace, so no ordinary text editor is going to be adequate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 AM   #189
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
With Calibre editor:
For example for the character ?.
Remove all non-break spaces or narrow-no-break spaces before ?.
Run this search with regex-function:

Search:
Code:
>[^\n<]*?<
Function:
Code:
def replace (match, number, file_name, metadata, dictionaries, data, functions, * args, ** kwargs):
     return match.group().replace ("?","@?")
Where @ would be a no-break space or narrow-no-break space.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #190
roger64
Wizard

@jbacelar

Thanks very much.

This code is working very well for one punctuation sign. I tried to make it work for a second one but I probably did something wrong because it failed. I have been told indentation is tricky but between theory and practice...

So, I tried this... No

Code:
def replace (match, number, file_name, metadata, dictionaries, data, functions, * args, ** kwargs):
     return match.group().replace ("!","@!")

return match.group().replace ("?","@?")
Should I create several functions like your own or is there a way to concatenate several of them in a single one (or even better group several punctuation signs replacement in the same command)?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #191
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@roger64

Oh! forgiveness for being so succinct.

The correct code is:
Code:
def replace(match, number, file_name, metadata, dictionaries, data, functions, *args, **kwargs):
    return match.group().replace("?","@?").replace("!","@!").replace(";","@;").replace(":","@:")
Of course, you also have to remove the n-b-spaces, before the other characters.

Last edited by jbacelar; 06-16-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #192
roger64
Wizard

It's working.

The only thing is the count with the Calibre editor: it anounces 1386 replacement which seems to be only the replacements regarding the first element. When I make a separate recount (out of the function), it finds 1802 which seems to be the true amount, because, as far as I can look, every punctuation signs get its own @.

The main thing is that the full function does the job. I will reuse it for many other things.

Thanks a lot for your very appreciated help.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #193
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

You are welcome
Old 10-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #194
roger64
Wizard

Hi

I have a regex question. The solution would allow me to convert more easily output from my word processor.

Say we have this text:

Code:
<blockquote>
      <p>A la première ville,<br/>Son amant l’habille<br/>Tout en satin blanc</p>
      <p>A la seconde ville,<br/>Son amant l’habille<br/>En or, en argent.</p>
      <p>Elle était si belle<br/>Qu’on lui tendait les voiles<br/>Dans tout le régiment.</p>
</blockquote>
I wish, using an editor, to add a class "note" for each p. The number of p can vary from one to nine.

I fail to do it.

Last edited by roger64; 10-08-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #195
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

I have a regex question. The solution would allow me to convert more easily output from my word processor.

Say we have this text:

Code:
<blockquote>
      <p>A la première ville,<br/>Son amant l’habille<br/>Tout en satin blanc</p>
      <p>A la seconde ville,<br/>Son amant l’habille<br/>En or, en argent.</p>
      <p>Elle était si belle<br/>Qu’on lui tendait les voiles<br/>Dans tout le régiment.</p>
</blockquote>
I wish, using an editor, to add a class "note" for each p. The number of p can vary from one to nine.

I fail to do it.
Just do a SINGLE mode search and replace, with the cursor on the <blockquote>

<p>
<p class="note">

If you are changing a font, why not apply the class to the Blockquote instead
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote