Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Pdf, calibre and metadata.

Thank you for including this! This is one MAJOR step !!!

Really appreciate this new addition, now all my pdf can be found easely on my device!

thanks again!
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
thanks go to user_none There are still a couple of bugs, setting metadata can cause calibre to freeze for some PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

K thanks! Well nothing is expected to be free of bugs on the first try ! Anyway the project is making leeps and bounds, thanks for all your hard work Kovid, without you and a few helping hands like user_none we would still be using sony' s software... =)!
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
There would seem to be (from the above comment, and the changelog) suport for PDF metadata updating. Is there a way of applying the current calibre metadata to pdfs, as changing it in calibre doesn't seem to have any effect.

I was hoping that copying them to the sony would set the metadata on the way through, as this would be quicker than updating each book manually, but it doesn't seem to.

So ... how does one actually use the new PDF metadata support?

iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

using either save to disk or send to device should update the metadata in the pdf files.
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can also user the command line tools to set the metadata.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Doesn't seem to be the case, I'm still ending up with files on the reader with titles such as "file:///C|/2590%20Sci-Fi%20and%...", despite having sensible titles in calibre.

I'm running version 0.5.8 on OSX.
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
thenickdude
thenickdude began at the beginning.

Same problem here, Calibre 0.5.9 on Windows Vista, PDF metadata is not updated on send to device or save to disk. PDFs are unsecured and unencrypted, version 1.3 and 1.5.

Could Calibre print a diagnostic when it cannot update metadata?
thenickdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre's pdf metadata setting code unfortunately works only for some PDF files. I've written tot he author of the pdf library calibre uses and hopefully he will fix it soon, otherwise I'll have to look into using pdftk instead
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre's pdf metadata setting code unfortunately works only for some PDF files. I've written tot he author of the pdf library calibre uses and hopefully he will fix it soon, otherwise I'll have to look into using pdftk instead
That's interesting. I wonder why that is and not that I have enough technical know how to fully understand or fix the problem! But, nevertheless interesting to know.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Sorry about bringing up an old thread...

What's the current status of PDF metadata-setting capabilities in Calibre? Have the previous issues been sorted out?

It has been mentioned that PDF metadata can be set from the command line -- I know of the tool which gets passed metadata as options; is there one which will fetch the metadata from Calibre's database and apply that? Or even more conveniently, is there an option applying metadata to all files of a book record (maybe I overlooked it)?

Last but not least, is the metadata also applied upon provisioning files via the Stanza/OPDS interface, i.e., e.g., when fetching books from a Nook via Trook?
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
aritza
aritza began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
I too would like to know what's going on with saving metadata to PDF. Sometimes I want to share a PDF with someone and I want all the metadata saved to the file, but this does not happen. I realize now that a pdf's metadata fields are not the same as Calibre's, but some moving around could be done so that no metadata from the database is lost when saving a file. Thanks.
aritza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When you want to share PDF file how are you getting it out of the Calibre library? If you use the Calibre "Save to Disk" command then the saved file should have saved metadata. If you use an OS level copy this would not be the case as that would get the PDF file as it was before the metadata changes.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
aritza
aritza began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
When you want to share PDF file how are you getting it out of the Calibre library? If you use the Calibre "Save to Disk" command then the saved file should have saved metadata. If you use an OS level copy this would not be the case as that would get the PDF file as it was before the metadata changes.
This does not work for me. Am I missing something?

I'm working with PDFs. Say I update the database for a book using lookup, getting the following information:
Title
Author
Author sort
Publisher
Tags
Series
ISBN
Date
Published
Comments

When I save the PDF to disk, only Title and Author seem to transfer to the new version of the PDF. At least that's all I see when I look at document information in the PDF (including the additional metadata window). So most information doesn't seem to be transferred, which to me is not acceptable.

I realize that the PDF doesn't have all the fields available in the Calibre database record, but some kind of field mapping should be done so that at the very least if I save a PDF to share with someone when they import it to their Calibre database, all the fields will show up just as in my database without having to go through the lookup process again.

Is that feasible? I do think it would be highly desirable.
aritza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Many of those fields cannot be saved to the PDF. This is a limitation of the PDF format.

When you do a "Save to "Disk" you are also given the option of having the .opf file as well. This file will have ALL the metadata in it, and if the recipient has Calibre as well can be used to transfer it to their Calibre library
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote