Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
gerard0986
gerard0986 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for an eReader...

So I have a set of needs for my next eReader purchase. I used to own some 2nd(?) Edition Kindles and even the Kindle DX. Both were good, but are now sold.

Anyway, I'm looking for an eReader that HAS to have expandable storage. Hopefully MicroSDs. MicroUSB connectors would be nice too.

I've had a few in mind so far, maybe the Kobo Aura HD, but I hear lots of bad things. A lot of good too, but the bad...DO seem pretty bad.

I've also seen the Nook Simple Touch. (The Glowlight doesn't have expandable storage?) But seeing it in store seemed a tad small. I kinda would like a bigger device.

Some Sony eReaders. However I heard that I should stay away since Sony has given up on the market anyway.

I would like something bigger than the average 6 inches, but the DX seemed a bit big. Maybe if it had no keyboard or something. I've also seen the Cybook Ocean which might be nice. Others like one that had a stylus and looked really nice, but was WAY over my budget. Etc.

A lot to choose from.
gerard0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Both the Aura HD and Sony have removable storage. The Aura HD chokes a bit on more than 1,000 books though and has recently developed firmware problems relating to books stored on SD card. Sony seems okay with 4000. Probably more.

Aura HD has larger screen and is larger size. I don't find it overly cumbersome to hold, but I prefer the more lighter compact T3 and its nice soft feeling back. I do like the HD touch to turn pages, but the T3 buttons are just as easy.

I display about the same amount of text on either as I find the Sony fonts slightly easier to read and smoother. Kobo has more options but they don't all work and even those that do are of no benefit to me because of their limiting factors.

All epubs display well as can be expected on the Sony, the Kobo is more finicky. Some books have triple line spacing or wide margins for instance on my Kobos but look perfect on my Sonys. I can fix them for kobo with calibre but a PITA and I don't think it is right to de-DRM and change library books.

Kobo updates their firmware fairly often trying to fix older problems and to give us a few new ones to whine about. Sony doesn't, and perhaps they should, but overall the Sony readers are relatively bug free. The T3 has not exhibited any unexpected behavior in the 8 books I have read on it, but I had the occasional issue with the T1. The 600 and 350 did not seem to have any issues.

People speculate that Sony is going out of the ereader market because they are not selling readers in the US and don't have a built in light. Maybe they are but so far it is purely speculation.

Doesn't matter to me in the choice of which reader today. Sony readers have few problems, and AFAIK there support is as good as Kobos. (Amazon is the best support IMO).

I would be sad if Sony stopped making readers, but this just means no new model perhaps next year, or the year after, and has zero importance on what I buy today. Neither Kobo or Sony sell replacement part so what is the difference. Braun doesn't sell blenders in North America any more, but despite that my Braun blenders still function and Braun is still in the blender business. And I'd still buy Braun given a choice.

Overall I prefer the T3 but I may have a low frustration tolerance compared to most. I am sure you would be okay with either. (or a paperwhite)

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The BN Nook HD tablet makes a GREAT ereader, has expandable storage, and never chokes on the thousands of books I put on it. 7" high resolution screen and low price make it a top choice!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would be hesitant to buy a Sony e-reader in the US because I don't think that Sony will provide any type of customer support. I have long held that people outside the US should not buy a Nook because BN will not provide customer support. It depends on what you are comfortable with.

I think Onyx makes a large screen e-reader but it might be the same size as the DX.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would be hesitant to buy a Sony e-reader in the US because I don't think that Sony will provide any type of customer support. I have long held that people outside the US should not buy a Nook because BN will not provide customer support. It depends on what you are comfortable with.

I think Onyx makes a large screen e-reader but it might be the same size as the DX.
I believe Sony US will provide support. Not 100% sure but close as I asked at a Sony store. The T3 I bought is a Canada/US model according to their setup. That is the first setup question you are asked I believe whether you are in Canada or the US.

Based on my experience, the likelihood of needing support is pretty low, but one never knows.

Still they are hard to buy from the US presently. They are often out of stock in Canada so perhaps they do not have enough resources (eink screens etc.) to manufacture enough to supply the smaller markets, let alone the US market. There is AFAIK only one major manufacturer of Eink screens and a lot of companies that buy from them.

I don't care for the built in light myself, but for some that is a major deal breaker. Other than that the T3 is just so very nice

Helen
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
gerard0986

I forgot to mention that it HAS to be eInk. I don't want a tablet. And I'd like it if it had some kind of light to read in the dark.

Also, I do live in the US, so it'd be great if the suggestions were sold/supported in the US as well.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard

Kindle, Nook or Kobo then I am sure you will be more or less happy with any of them and possibly ecstatic

Helen
Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Since the OP wants some sort of expansion via SD card or such, I think the list is dwindled to Kobo or Nook (not sure if the new glo has SD card support, though).
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Since the OP wants some sort of expansion via SD card or such, I think the list is dwindled to Kobo or Nook (not sure if the new glo has SD card support, though).
The new Nook doesn't have SD.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Kobo Aura HD seems to be the best option, since it has a slightly larger screen than the others, but you'd need to look into the issues with the large header/footer on the Kobo forums, and think about if you are willing to work with hacks or workarounds to improve it, as otherwise, as speakingtohe has already indicated, there's not a huge difference in the amount of text you see on screen compared to something like the Sony.

That apart, the Aura HD does look good, and the quality of the light/screen seems better than the other lighted readers in the Kobo stable. If you aren't really worried about the light though, the Sony is cheaper. Nook Glowlight and the Kindle PW aren't worth you considering since you need expandable storage (and I presume Amazon's cloud storage would be a poor substitute).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
gerard0986

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The Kobo Aura HD seems to be the best option, since it has a slightly larger screen than the others, but you'd need to look into the issues with the large header/footer on the Kobo forums, and think about if you are willing to work with hacks or workarounds to improve it, as otherwise, as speakingtohe has already indicated, there's not a huge difference in the amount of text you see on screen compared to something like the Sony.

That apart, the Aura HD does look good, and the quality of the light/screen seems better than the other lighted readers in the Kobo stable. If you aren't really worried about the light though, the Sony is cheaper. Nook Glowlight and the Kindle PW aren't worth you considering since you need expandable storage (and I presume Amazon's cloud storage would be a poor substitute).
Large header/footer? Didn't hear about that before. I'm fully willing to tweak with it. Would actually prefer it.

I think the older Nook Glowlight has expandable storage. But yeah, staying away from Kindles. They were good, but I need more offline space.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
There are various posts re the "wasted" space in the Kobo forum, the most recent thread is this one:
Will the footer issue ever be fixed?

Yes the first generation Nook Glowlight has an SD card slot, but the difference in screen quality (and to a lesser extent, the speed) between it and the Aura HD is quite substantial.... though to be fair, that might not bother you. Plenty of people are happy to save money and pick up an older Nook cheaply, I'm pretty careful with my money but in terms of quality the only competition for me when I was upgrading was between the Paperwhite and the Kobo Aura/Aura HD. If I'd been happy to get a non-lighted reader, the Sony T3 would have been there too.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest looking at the Pocketbook range. They have a number of good readers available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote