Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Kindle 2 file formats

Ok. I'm confused so I'll have to post a question that, hopefully, will not cross the margin of forum propriety. I am a happy PRS505 and Calibre user. I am thinking of getting a Kindle 2 for wife and to sell her 505 to a friend. When I buy books for my 505 I always strip off the DRM before downloading to the reader. Why...I don't like DRM and I don't want it to come back to haunt me in years to come. I thought that I could do the same with the Kindle.
I've seen multiple posts that say that you can strip DRM off of AZW files although I can't find any software to do it. This raises several questions:
How many formats can you buy e-books from Amazon in? How do you select format? Any hint that Amazon would drop AZW?
Where do you recommend, outside the forum, that I look to learn more about saving the files that I buy DRM free?
Does the Kindle currently work with Calibre?
If I load a DRM free file on the Kindle is it true that it has to be DRMd to work?
I know that some of these points are covered in other threads but it is so much easier to ask at one time. Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
The kindle works great with calibre.

Amazon sells .azw and azw1 (topaz) I hear that azw is able to be stripped, but not azw1 (topaz).
I dont know how you do so though, I have no interest in it.

The kindle doesnt add drm to non drm'd books.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Ok. I'm confused so I'll have to post a question that, hopefully, will not cross the margin of forum propriety. I am a happy PRS505 and Calibre user. I am thinking of getting a Kindle 2 for wife and to sell her 505 to a friend. When I buy books for my 505 I always strip off the DRM before downloading to the reader. Why...I don't like DRM and I don't want it to come back to haunt me in years to come. I thought that I could do the same with the Kindle.
I've seen multiple posts that say that you can strip DRM off of AZW files although I can't find any software to do it. This raises several questions:
How many formats can you buy e-books from Amazon in? How do you select format? Any hint that Amazon would drop AZW?
Where do you recommend, outside the forum, that I look to learn more about saving the files that I buy DRM free?
If I load a DRM free file on the Kindle is it true that it has to be DRMd to work?
I know that some of these points are covered in other threads but it is so much easier to ask at one time. Thanks.
Check the Kindle Myths and Partial Truths link in my sig for info about formats available from Amazon and which can be converted for use on the Kindle and links to the ebook wiki which contains sites that sell ebooks.

On stripping DRM from .azw files, search the forums and Google for MobiDeDRM (a python script run similar to KindleFIX).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Look for MobiDeDRM. AZW files are Mobi files with a different extension.

Quote:
Yep

Quote:
Nope. With my 505 I always tried to buy Lit books to un-DRM & convert. I had to reconvert my stuff when I got a K2, but it all works great. No DRM involved.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can also continue buying the books from where you are buying them and use calibre to convert them to .mobi as well as LRF/ePub. This way you can read those books on both the Sony and the Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Maura Anderson
Maura Anderson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Great Info - I have a library of about 3000 ebooks that are mostly in .LIT but some in .LRF so I'm even more comfortable getting a Kindle 2 now.
Maura Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
kirwoodd
kirwoodd doesn't litterkirwoodd doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
The kindle works great with calibre.

Amazon sells .azw and azw1 (topaz) I hear that azw is able to be stripped, but not azw1 (topaz).
I dont know how you do so though, I have no interest in it.

The kindle doesnt add drm to non drm'd books.
Drago,
aren't you worried that you may go to a different ereader someday and not be able to take your books with you?
kirwoodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Kirwoodd--If Dragoro is anything like me, zie has no need to strip DRM now and doesn't see any point in messing with it before it's necessary. It's not like the old methods are going to be forgotten, and new, better methods may be invented before it ever becomes an issue. So zie doesn't keep more than a cursory eye on it.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I can vouche for calibre, it's a great conversion tool, I just used it on a number of texts. Thumbs up!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote