Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Authors Hating Authors

Spotted this over at The Digital Reader:

Classic Authors Who Suck, According To Other Classic Authors

Quote:
Famous Authors Who Hated Each Other’s Writing

For every great author, there’s another great author eager to knock him or her down a few pegs. Although the writers on this map are typically deemed canonical by literary tastemakers, there wasn’t much mutual admiration amongst them.

We’ve mapped out the rivalries and one-sided vendettas of many celebrated writers; just hover over an arrow between two authors to see a cutting insult directed by one to the other.
Some examples

Quote:
Mark Twain on Jane Austen

“I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice'; I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.” -- Letter to Joseph Twitchell (Sept. 13, 1898)
Quote:
William Faulkner on Mark Twain

“A hack writer who would not have been considered fourth rate in Europe, who tricked out a few of the old proven 'sure fire'; literary skeletons with sufficient local color to intrigue the superficial and the lazy.” -- From "American Drama: Inhibitions"
Quote:
Ernest Hemingway on William Faulkner

“Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?” -- Quoted in A. E. Hotchner, Papa Hemingway
Quote:
William Faulkner on Ernest Hemingway

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.” -- Quoted in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Literature, edited by Richard Thomas Eldridge
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Criticism isn't the same thing as "hatred". I can criticise someone's writing, without any feeling of hatred towards the writer. Why should personal animosity enter into it at all?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Criticism isn't the same thing as "hatred". I can criticise someone's writing, without any feeling of hatred towards the writer. Why should personal animosity enter into it at all?
Don't know why either; but it does happen.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.” -- Quoted in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Literature, edited by Richard Thomas Eldridge

I don't understand what the criticism is in the above statement. Why would an author consciously make a reader look up words in a dictionary?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Quote:

I don't understand what the criticism is in the above statement. Why would an author consciously make a reader look up words in a dictionary?
It's a slam. Faulkner is accusing Hemingway of having a poor vocabulary. I think it's pretty funny.
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Quote:

I think he meant that Mr. Hemingway didn't use words in a way that would stretch the readers vocabulary by virtue of them having to look up the meaning of a word they hadn't seen before. Instead he stuck to well known words that everyone knows.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I don't see these quotes as objective critiques. For the most part, they're vicious, cheap shots; especially those from Twain and Vidal.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think he meant that Mr. Hemingway didn't use words in a way that would stretch the readers vocabulary by virtue of them having to look up the meaning of a word they hadn't seen before. Instead he stuck to well known words that everyone knows.
It's basically the other side of Hemingway's quote, above, and I have to say I think I'm on Hemingway's side in that one.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Tolstoy wrote an essay trying to prove Shakespeare was bad. Orwell wrote an essay in response, saying history had proved Tolstoy wrong.

And let's not forget "The Lem Incident" where Stanislaw Lem said all Western Sci-Fi authors were crap, apart from Philip K. Dick. Philip Jose Farmer was outraged!

And then there is Christopher Preist's expose "The Book on the Edge of Forever" all about Harlan Ellison sitting on the third of the Forbidden Tales trilogy. Not really a criticism of Ellison's writing, but more the fact he had refused to release the book and all the good stories he had locked down under contract. Ellison was outraged!

Last edited by Rizla; 05-21-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Mark Twain on Jane Austen

“I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice'; I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.” -- Letter to Joseph Twitchell (Sept. 13, 1898)
"Everytime" he reads 'Pride and Predjuice'? Why would he keep reading that book if he really hated it? Is it possible that this specific quote was taken out of context somehow and meant to be humorous?
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
"Everytime" he reads 'Pride and Predjuice'? Why would he keep reading that book if he really hated it? Is it possible that this specific quote was taken out of context somehow and meant to be humorous?
I don't think so. If you have read something about Jane Austen, Twain's distaste about her appears soon.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Maybe he couldn't finish it. Lol. I thought Twain's comment was the funniest. It's funny because it's mean.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Sounds that way, I found another quote, emphasis added:
Quote:
She makes me detest all her people, without reserve. Is that her intention? It is not believable. Then is it her purpose to make the reader detest her people up to the middle of the book and like them in the rest of the chapters? That could be. That would be high art. It would be worth while, too. Some day I will examine the other end of her books and see.
- "Jane Austen," published in 2009 in Who Is Mark Twain?
Seems like he's saying he never got past the halfway point in any of her books. There's also this one, emphasis added:
Quote:
To me his prose is unreadable -- like Jane Austin's [sic]. No there is a difference. I could read his prose on salary, but not Jane's. Jane is entirely impossible. It seems a great pity that they allowed her to die a natural death.
- Letter to W. D. Howells, 18 January 1909
I know he was a journalist for a while, so it's possible he had to read her books to review them.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Quote:

I can understand the idea that writing can expose the reader to new appreciation of language, but I don't think it's a necessary characteristic of great literature. It's good to that we have both Faulker and Twain, and their respective kin.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
All of you convinced me I was probably wrong about Twain. I hadn't thought of him starting to read the same book over and over again and never finishing it! LOL
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote