Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question I want to buy a Kobo Glo from Japan (Launched Nov 15)

Hi all:

I am going to osaka for a holiday in 2 weeks time, and I was thinking of buying the new Kobo Glo (or the Kindle Paperwhite) while in Osaka, with a BIG IF (if i can even find any store having it in stock!).

So, what I would like to ask is, is the Japanese version of the Kobo e-readers (I know currently Kobo Touch is on sale in Japan), any different from the international version? Is there a setting to set the entire firmware to show menus and settings and ebooks in English instead of localized Japanese?

I read only english ebooks, and would like to be able to navigate through the menus and the ebook in english..

Also, are firmware updates for the Japanese Kobo e-reader the same as international ones? or do they release a firmware specifically for the japanese sets?

Thanks for your help!

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by silverspear; 11-19-2012 at 08:13 PM.
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
koboaya
koboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch,Kobo Glo
Hello.I',m Japanese.

>>Also, are firmware updates for the Japanese Kobo e-reader the same as >>international ones? or do they release a firmware specifically for the japanese sets?

It is the same as the international version.
koboaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboaya View Post
Hello.I',m Japanese.

>>Also, are firmware updates for the Japanese Kobo e-reader the same as >>international ones? or do they release a firmware specifically for the japanese sets?

It is the same as the international version.
Thank you for your reply! So English menu and reading english ebook is possible too? I hope that the Kindle Paperwhite will also be the same as the international edition.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
koboaya
koboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animalskoboaya is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
Thank you for your reply! So English menu and reading english ebook is possible too? I hope that the Kindle Paperwhite will also be the same as the international edition.
I have not tried in English mode.
But I think that, to work without problems.

I have analyzed the firmware package Kobo.
I suspect that there is no unique customized Japan.

I do not know when you do go to Osaka. But
So if you are if you already own a Kobo Touch
I think there is no need to buy.

I think there is little stores that sell.

In addition, Kobo Glo is now on sale (Japan time) tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I was in 'Yodobashi Camera' (perhaps Osaka's largest retailer for e-readers as well as all other electronics) just yesterday and looking at a few different readers, but unless I'm mistaken, they were just Sonys and Nooks, but don't quote me. I may have just not noticed them. 'Bic Camera' in Nanba (I was there last week) only carries Sony. Same with the chains, Joshin and Yamada Denki.

If you need help finding these stores while you're here, msg me and I'll give you directions.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
koboaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I was in 'Yodobashi Camera' (perhaps Osaka's largest retailer for e-readers as well as all other electronics) just yesterday and looking at a few different readers, but unless I'm mistaken, they were just Sonys and Nooks, but don't quote me. I may have just not noticed them. 'Bic Camera' in Nanba (I was there last week) only carries Sony. Same with the chains, Joshin and Yamada Denki.

If you need help finding these stores while you're here, msg me and I'll give you directions.

Stitchawl
It would not have sold in their store.

"PC DEPOT" and "EDION" in Japan is selling.

EDION stores in Osaka ...
http://standard.navitime.biz/edion/M...=true&acode=27
(In Japanese)

Only one store ... PC DEPOT store in Osaka.
http://www.pcdepot.co.jp/shop/info/10001.html
(In Japanese)

I do not live in Osaka.
I do not know what is in stock.

Akihabara in Tokyo is so there is a shop that sells.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(In Japanese)
Hmmm.... I pass PC DEPOT when I visit my favorite motorcycle shop, which is on the same road but another 3-4km further along. I've never stopped in there. I'll go take a look on Friday. (Heavy rains tomorrow... )

Stitchawl
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
It would not have sold in their store.

"PC DEPOT" and "EDION" in Japan is selling.

EDION stores in Osaka ...
http://standard.navitime.biz/edion/M...=true&acode=27
(In Japanese)

(In Japanese)

I do not live in Osaka.
I do not know what is in stock.

Akihabara in Tokyo is so there is a shop that sells.
thank you guys! you are really very helpful. =) I will be in osaka from 3-7 Dec, and I plan to either buy a kobo glo or a kindle paperwhite.. either one is fine, as long as a shop sells it.

For Kobo touch, according to the official kobo blog, this is what is written:
"In addition to Rakuten Ichiba, The Kobo Touch eReader is also on sale at major electronics retailers Bic Camera, Sofmap, Joshin and Yodobashi Camera, while bookseller Tsutaya will also be selling Kobo at select stores. Major bookstores Maruzen, Junkudo, Bunkyodo and Tsutaya are also prominently displaying the Kobo Touch eReader in their stores. "

So I assume that if they sell the touch, they might stock the Glo when I'm there in dec?

For Kindle PW, in the official amazon announcement, this is what is written:
"Japanese retail chains like K’s Holdings and Bic Camera, and in “a variety of TSUTAYA bookstores.”

So having read these in the announcements above, I'm surprised that Stitchawl says he's hardly seen any Kobo's around in BIC and Yodobashi..
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
koboaya

Quote:
thank you guys! you are really very helpful. =) I will be in osaka from 3-7 Dec, and I plan to either buy a kobo glo or a kindle paperwhite.. either one is fine, as long as a shop sells it.

For Kobo touch, according to the official kobo blog, this is what is written:
"In addition to Rakuten Ichiba, The Kobo Touch eReader is also on sale at major electronics retailers Bic Camera, Sofmap, Joshin and Yodobashi Camera, while bookseller Tsutaya will also be selling Kobo at select stores. Major bookstores Maruzen, Junkudo, Bunkyodo and Tsutaya are also prominently displaying the Kobo Touch eReader in their stores. "

So I assume that if they sell the touch, they might stock the Glo when I'm there in dec?

For Kindle PW, in the official amazon announcement, this is what is written:
"Japanese retail chains like K’s Holdings and Bic Camera, and in “a variety of TSUTAYA bookstores.”

So having read these in the announcements above, I'm surprised that Stitchawl says he's hardly seen any Kobo's around in BIC and Yodobashi..
Kobo does not see much in the over-the-counter.
In Japan, not so good reputation of Kobo.
Therefore, I think a small shop that sells.

I think shops selling Kobo Glo is small.

Kindle PeperWhite will be released in Japan next week.
However, it is expected that it is difficult to obtain because there are a lot of reservations.
(Currently scheduled for delivery Amazon is next January)

If I got the information, I will post again.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath

There is a new 7-story Maruzen in Umeda. I'll be downtown next week in that area and will take a look to see what they have. Of course, that will be a couple of weeks before you get here and things change quickly in Japan.

Stitchawl
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
There is a new 7-story Maruzen in Umeda. I'll be downtown next week in that area and will take a look to see what they have. Of course, that will be a couple of weeks before you get here and things change quickly in Japan.

Stitchawl
That is true.. but oh well, since I can't come any earlier, I'm already extremely appreciative of fellow forummers' help to scout it out on my behalf! Thank you very much!!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
Kobo does not see much in the over-the-counter.
In Japan, not so good reputation of Kobo.
Therefore, I think a small shop that sells.

I think shops selling Kobo Glo is small.

Kindle PeperWhite will be released in Japan next week.
However, it is expected that it is difficult to obtain because there are a lot of reservations.
(Currently scheduled for delivery Amazon is next January)

If I got the information, I will post again.
when you say small shops, I think of den den town.. do you think that place will stock kobo?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
koboaya

Quote:
when you say small shops, I think of den den town.. do you think that place will stock kobo?
I am sorry. My English is very bad.

It is not a "small shop". I want to say that "there are not many shops."

Google translation is not accurate ......
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
koboaya

I got the information on the bulletin board in Japan.
(I do not know the truth or lie)

I asked the shop are in stock Kobo Touch in Osaka.

◆ Yodobashi Camera (Umeda)
I do not know the time, seems to have had in stock.

◆ big camera
In Stock. What store is unknown.

◆ Other
It seems there was a stock in the store in Nihonbashi, Osaka

Helpful.

In Japan, Kobo Glo will be released today.
Kindle PeperWhite will be released on November 19.

Kobo Glo, Kindle PeperWhite is $ 7980 in Japanese yen, respectively.
Price may be the lowest in the world.
Kobo Touch is $ 6980 in Japanese yen.

I hope you will help anything.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
There is a Joshin in den den town, and several Soft-Map stores. If the e-readers are around, that's where I'd look for them. I've been taking very long 'speed walks' for exercise 3-4 times a week, walking from Namba to Umeda or vice versa, so it's no problem for me to stop into these shops and look around.

Stitchawl