Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
bhoyt
Enthusiast
bhoyt began at the beginning.

Device: KT, Android Tablet and Phone
AZW3 vs KF8

I just updated to Calibre 0.8.65. I have a Kindle Touch and usually output AZW3 format for it.

My question: What's the difference between AZW3 output which I have been using and MOBI output using the "new" setting which I understand produces KF8 format. I thought AZW3 output was KF8 but there is quite a size difference between the two.

Is there any advantage in using one over the other?
bhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no difference as far as calibre is concerned. But, I would suggest you stick with azw3, since that is what amazon seems to prefer for kf8 books.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
bhoyt
Enthusiast

Then why is there a difference in size when I produce azw3 and MOBI/new formats from the same source?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Is there a difference in size when you view them using the calibre viewer?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
bhoyt
Enthusiast

No! my bad!! I had the wrong setting: MOBI/both instead of MOBI/new. Sorry for wasting your time.

Calibre is a great piece of software! Thank you for all the work you have done on it.

Warm regards,
Bruce Hoyt
Advert

Tags
azw3, kf8