Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #241
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihman View Post
HI. I am a complete noob here and trying to figure out where this page is:
"Download both images from the Debricking thread on the first page of the MobileRead Kindle Developer's Corner forum." Trying to debrick K3.
Scroll to the top of the forum's first page, click the topmost 'sticky' thread, scroll down to the 'links and references' section.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #242
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: O_o
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The "connection thingy" is called Device Manager. Go to the RNDIS device, TCP/IP v4 properties, manually assigned IP address = 192.168.15.201 netmask = 255.255.255.0, no gateway...

I guess USBNetwork is running now, no mass storage when plugged in.

^ After I get here: "Network error: Connection Refused"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It can be found in the forum, complete with screenshots as I recall.

Sorry, I couldn't find enough on the forum about how to use these things.
I learned about the debug menu, and how to turn on usb networking through it. Then start using ssh, but I'm stuck on getting the connection started now.
(-_-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #243
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The single USB cable has two ends, each end is a different host, which to work needs to be different addresses.

Your "image 2" shows that you are trying to connect to the "Windows End" of the cable set in your "image 1".
If that is what you want to do, that is just fine.

But if you want to connect to the "Kindle End" of the cable, use the Kindle's address in "image 2".
Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #244
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-_-) View Post
^ After I get here: "Network error: Connection Refused"
Can you ping it okay by that point? you should be able to.

try ping.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #245
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: O_o
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The single USB cable has two ends, each end is a different host, which to work needs to be different addresses.

Your "image 2" shows that you are trying to connect to the "Windows End" of the cable set in your "image 1".
If that is what you want to do, that is just fine.

But if you want to connect to the "Kindle End" of the cable, use the Kindle's address in "image 2".

Ok, I need the kindle's IP.

Found this information:

Quote:
You can find out the Kindle's IP address by accessing the secret 711 network info screen:

Home > Menu > Settings >

# ALT + U Q Q
Doing this shows:
"This device does not have wifi"
(Probably because MAC address is unavailable)

Well, that's it.
It's over.
I lose.

Well thank you guys anyway, for putting up with me and trying to save my K3.
Looks like I won't be using it anymore.
(-_-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #246
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-_-) View Post
Ok, I need the kindle's IP.
Found this information:
Doing this shows:
"This device does not have wifi"
(Probably because MAC address is unavailable)

Well, that's it.
It's over.
I lose.
Well thank you guys anyway, for putting up with me and trying to save my K3.
Looks like I won't be using it anymore.
Tha is only for sshing over WiFi. ssh into 192.168.2.2 IIRC for usbnet.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #247
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
This (connect to 192.168.2.2) plus set the IP address on the "Windows desktop" end to the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet, i.e. to 192.168.2.N where N is anything between 1 and 253 (for the pros: yes, this is esoteric about 254) _but_ 2.

192.168.2.N (Desktop) <----USB---> 192.168.2.2 (K3)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #248
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
192.168.2.N (Desktop) <----USB---> 192.168.2.2 (K3)
what he said. bigger
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #249
shihman
shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.shihman got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Scroll to the top of the forum's first page, click the topmost 'sticky' thread, scroll down to the 'links and references' section.
Yep, did that. Not sure which one is the best one. I have tried K3noobdebrickatk, and as I've said, stuck with 32 and 64 part where USB can;t be traced. I actually have a 32bit XP.

Also tried multi platform MFG TOOL, tried all files. One actually had a Trojan.

I am now lost. I also tried Fastboot for Mac. As I have zero knowledge of programming, I am stuck with the terminal open and not knowing what to do. ARGH!
shihman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #250
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihman View Post
Yep, did that. Not sure which one is the best one. I have tried K3noobdebrickatk, and as I've said, stuck with 32 and 64 part where USB can;t be traced. I actually have a 32bit XP.

Also tried multi platform MFG TOOL, tried all files. One actually had a Trojan.

I am now lost. I also tried Fastboot for Mac. As I have zero knowledge of programming, I am stuck with the terminal open and not knowing what to do. ARGH!
Antivirus tools these days have many false positives. Where did you get the MfgTool that you think may have a "trojan" virus?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #251
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
So I'm coming back with news in flashing my uncle's kindle.
I've made a backup to every partition from my identical kindle 3 , took apart the kindles and used a fully charged battery to flash the dead kindle. I've flashed all the backed up image parts (partition table, kernel, roots, vars. etc)
The flashing process took some hours and finally completed without any error. (I've modified the faslhing script to dump the output to a file too, so I could verify the output)

After restarting it, now I have serial and mac address (of course, cloned from mine) , the power green led lights up, the screen flashes, starts to load it but still gets stuck at the loading amazon screen (around 10%).

I've also rebooted with button ENTER pressed, the debug menu came up, and could mount hte usb port.
I've tried to copy the latest official update file to see if it does something, but nothing.

How can I start usbnetworking to see what's happening ?

Also, I've put the other drained battery in the 'working' kindle and plugged it to the charger.The yellow light is on, but the kindle does not start.
I've read somewhere that the charger works if the kindle started.. but with completely dead battery this will not happen. So I cannot charge the battery any more ?
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #252
knc1
Going Viral

Sure you can, remove the battery and use an external battery charger intended for Li-Ion batteries.

What you read is that the **Kindle** can not re-charge the battery if too far discharged.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #253
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Sure you can, remove the battery and use an external battery charger intended for Li-Ion batteries.
So without any power the kindle won't boot up, therefore it won't charge the battery, right ? I mean, I've read in the forum that the charger does not work unless the kernel has started, so it's necessary sufficient current to load at least the kernel.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #254
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
So without any power the kindle won't boot up, therefore it won't charge the battery, right ?
Correct.
The battery management chip is under computer control.
No computer, no control.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #255
trex_daemon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Correct.
The battery management chip is under computer control.
No computer, no control.
I see. Thanks for the info.
Now regarding the other part of my question: How can I find out why it is stuck at 10-20% ?
Is there a way to enter usb-debugging without having the kindle up and running ?
I want to start usb networking, to bring up ssh /telnet ?

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3