Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
txtr pre-orders

I just got an email from the txtr people, subject "txtr reader pre-order"

here is the text of the mail (german, then english) :
Quote:
Lieber txtr-Kunde,

wir freuen uns über Ihr Interesse am txtr Reader. Leider müssen wir Ihnen mitteilen, dass die Resonanz auf unser Gerät so groß ist, dass wir nicht allen Kunden sofort ein Gerät zukommen lassen können. Wenn Sie sich bereits letztes Jahr registriert haben, können Sie nun den Reader verbindlich vorbestellen, wobei wir die Vormerkliste chronologisch abarbeiten.

Alle anderen Interessenten bitten wir um ein wenig Geduld, wir werden Sie informieren, sobald Sie soweit vorgerückt sind, dass Sie den Reader bestellen können. Wir entschuldigen uns für die Unannehmlichkeiten und verbleiben mit den besten Grüßen aus Berlin

Das txtr-Team

Dear txtr customer,

we're happy about your interest in our txtr reader. Unfortunately we have to inform you that the reaction to our product was so overwhelming, that we can't send out readers to everybody immediately. If you registered for a device purchase in the last year, you are now eligible for a binding pre-order: We're working through the registration list on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you're not part of that group, we're asking for your patience and will inform you as soon as you're eligible for pre-order. We'd like to apologize for your discomfort and send you all the best from Berlin,

The txtr-team
So, who pre-ordered a txtr ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Who still wants one given the other readers since then?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Who still wants one given the other readers since then?
there were other devices before as well. i don't see why that might make someone who was interested in the txtr change their mind. it looks like a great device to me ; i'd love to have one.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
there were other devices before as well. i don't see why that might make someone who was interested in the txtr change their mind. it looks like a great device to me ; i'd love to have one.
There's the nook, the Kindle DX, the PRS-900, the DR800G, and the Que. All announced after the txtr was announced. So maybe one of these other devices would hold more possible interest. I'm just interested if the txtr is still as interesting as it was when it was first announced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
wherethewild
wherethewild began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
(I'm brand new here, joined up recently because of the txtr actually)

What is really confusing about that email is that the German version says "if you already registered last year" while the English version says "IN the last year" - two quite different things. Txtr hasn't clarified that yet.
wherethewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
its semantics that mean the same thing.

I received the email above as well so no order yet. I was hoping to retail it in the states but I'm not sure now that the wifi is gone.

I'd prefer if they offered it stripped of the Edge as well and offered a still lower price point. The hardware design is very good and the speed of it is still better than most(from what I've seen-I've not had one in hand yet). If the bluetooth remained you could tether it to your phone for side loading giving it a leg up over the competition. It would do well if priced reasonably in the states next to Netronix Hardware units from PocketBook,Cybook, Cool-ER etc

In fact with its 6inch screen, bluetooth and design it comes pretty close to Holly Gates' BlueChute design http://www.positron.org/projects/bluechute/ with slightly better controls and I've always preferred his design.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-01-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
BlueMonkey
Evangelist
BlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it is

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Nexus S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
So, who pre-ordered a txtr ?
The "Preorder"-Page on the new txtr.reader.com says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://reader.txtr.com/txtr-reader/pre-order-now/
As thousands of customers have already registered for ordering a device over the past 11 months, we are now working through this list on a first-come, first served basis.
Please feel free to fill out the form below and we will send you as soon as possible a personal link for your purchase opportunity.
Please apologize this bottleneck. We do everything we can to serve you as soon as possible.
I am excited when these "personal links for your purchase opportunity" will hit the inboxes As for now I just know people who got the mail you cited.
BlueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
BlueMonkey
Evangelist
BlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it is

Now there is a second mail with some "Clarification for pre-ordering a txtr Reader":

Quote:
Dear txtr customer,

you are receving this email and the previous one because you registered for a txtr reader purchase in the past on the web site reader.txtr.com. Please allow us to clarify our pre-order process:

The registration process for a device purchase is open since Januar and since then a large number of potential customers have signed up - many more than we have readers to sell! We are keeping the registration open on reader.txtr.com.

We are now working through this registration list on a first-come-first-served basis and are sending out emails with private purchase links - these lead to a web site where binding pre-orders are taken.

Since only a small number of devices will be available this year, only a few binding pre-orders will be taken and unfortunately many of you will not receive a private purchase link soon.

Again, we are sorry about the inconveniece and promise to work hard to make as many readers available as possible.

Best,
txtr team
Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

thanks BlueMonkey for posting the second mail !

so who are the happy few who will get the first orders ?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
Blue monkey since your tag shows you are the lucky owner of a txtr reader and i have not found a review elsewhere can you confirm please the capability to read adobe drm'ed books including the ones sold by B&N, if that's the case i will gladly stay in line and await my confirmation
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
BlueMonkey
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
Blue monkey since your tag shows you are the lucky owner of a txtr reader and i have not found a review elsewhere can you confirm please the capability to read adobe drm'ed books including the ones sold by B&N, if that's the case i will gladly stay in line and await my confirmation
I'm sorry to say that I'm one of those "soon" txtr owners - Maybe in 3 Weeks But the capability to read adobe drm'ed books can be easily confirmed, as they offer EPUBs with Adobe-DRM in their own eBook Store (txtr Store).

In Germany you can access this Store via EDGE on the device (same as on the kindle), but I don't know how this will work outside of Germany, as the included sim card is from a German mobile carrier. The device is not simlocked though, so there should be the opportunity to insert an own sim card of your choice.