Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
BevL
No Tech Patience
BevL began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Talking I Pack the iPAQ No More

Greetings fellow readers! I've been following the MobileRead RSS feed since... well, since I started using Google Reader, thanks to DA Jane and her frequent MobileRead references. The folks here and at TeleRead keep me updated on upcoming eReader news and also keep my hope alive that the "perfect" eReader just might show up someday.

I'm currently reading ebooks on an HP iPAQ rx5900. Or, more correctly, I WAS reading on it. My middle-aged eyes just can't take the eye strain anymore. GAK! And increasing the font size on that puny 3.5" screen makes reading way too irritating. So, I just don't read ebooks anymore, even free ones.

My perfect eReader would be a larger (5-7" screen) PDA type device running some version of Windows (i.e. Mobile, CE, etc.), but with longer battery life and eInk-like clarity (UMPC's failed on those last two plus price). Why? Because I prefer MSReader's excellent features- bookmarks, notations, last page, furthest read, multiple ways to navigate, status bar, folder organization, and full color cover pics. Plus, I have HUNDREDS of ebooks in LIT format- many even date back to pre-DRM, pre-metadata days! I think Microsoft really dropped the ball with LIT and MSReader, and their negligence has all but made them irrelevent. What a shame.

Right now, I'm holding out hope that one of the upcoming tablets will meet my needs. I've got a 12" convertible HP TX1000, but with its standard LCD display, eye strain is still a problem when reading ebooks, and it's size makes it impossible to lug around in my purse. If nothing else, I'll at least have the Astak readers to consider, assuming they work the bugs out of their LIT display glitches.

So, anyway, I finally got around to joining MobileRead because I'm HOPING that there will soon be products released that I'll want to jump in and ask questions about.
BevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi BevL and welcome to MobileRead. I used to read on an iPaq and like it fine, that is, until I got an eInk device. I've ha dmy Sony since Jan 08 and really like it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Hi bevL,

There are no E-Ink devices that will read DRM MSReader LIT Books.

You will need to liberate and convert them in order to read them on an E-Ink device. So, if E-Ink is something you are interested in, then you have many choices. If your E-ink device supports Adobe ADE, then you can borrow library books and read them on the device.

I also was using an Ipaq to read and liked the fact that I could read almost any format DRM or not on it. It is a shame that PDA's did not take off, since they had everthing, imho, color and flexibility.

I still do not quite understand why there is not e-ink window device that would let you add any reader application you want.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
My perfect eReader would be a larger (5-7" screen) PDA type device running some version of Windows (i.e. Mobile, CE, etc.), but with longer battery life and eInk-like clarity (UMPC's failed on those last two plus price).
You should have a look at the smartQ7.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=smartQ7

Or wait for similar devices from more mainstream manufacturers (Toshiba have something similar on the way : http://jkontherun.com/2009/09/03/tos...let-prototype/)

None of these have e-ink screen though. The only e-ink reader running CE was a korean reader long forgotten and it was quite buggy as the display driver was not optimised for e-ink.

Quote:
Plus, I have HUNDREDS of ebooks in LIT format
Lit is one of the easiest format to convert to something else. You should also consider choosing a Sony reader or an Astak for example, then converting your library to a compatible format.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
BevL
No Tech Patience
BevL began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Kindle Paperwhite 3G
cassidym, good to hear you're happy with the Sony, I know a lot of people who are also loving it. I really want to be able to make annotations but the 700 that had touchscreen also had not-so-good reviews. I haven't checked out the new one (600?) much mainly because I'm hoping that 2010 will be the year that eReader availablity explodes on the market. Of course, that's what I thought about 2009 also.

Musicman, as long as the display comes CLOSE to eInk quality, reading would not be so much of an eyestrain. The number one reason I've not bought an eReader yet is because of all my LIT ebooks. Besides, I'm not about to accumulate yet another few hundred books in another format only to see that format fade away like LIT has. Ironically, I started buying in LIT format precisely because it was a Microsoft product and I stupidly assumed that meant it would eventually be the most popular format. DOH!

ShortNCuddlyAm, thank you!

Faenad, thanks for the heads-up on that Toshiba JournE! I missed that one completely somehow. Can't wait to check one out if/when it's available here in the US. Of course it will also depend on the screen quality and price. Who knows, maybe they'll go with a Pixel 3qi screen when they're in full production.

Quote:
Lit is one of the easiest format to convert to something else.
Yeah, I know, but I REALLY do not want to go through the hassle if I can help it. That's why I said that my ideal eReader would run some version of Windows, then I don't have to deal with the LIT DRM problems or conversion. (note the phrase above my avi- "No Tech Patience")

Last edited by BevL; 10-11-2009 at 02:51 PM.
BevL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipaq, lit, msreader, tx1000