Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Ramses505
Ramses505 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Unhappy Problem using CollectionsManager

I have a Kindle Touch (D01200) - It has been jailbroken using kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip - gets the *****Jailbreak***** message after update.

Copied over CollectionsManager.azw2 - and I get an item called "Collections Manager" ('ixtab' - underneath)

I have built collections in Calibre using "kindle Collections" set the sort column, run it and then ejected the Kindle.

I am not sure if I am I am meant to run the "Collections Manager" on the Kindle and use the 'Home Icon' - Synchronization - Import Collections from Calibre OR if I should reboot the Kindle (Settings - Home Icon -Restart) and then as above afterwards - whichever, I have tried both.

On the Kindle I have an Icon dropdown in which I can choose; 'Recent - Title - Author - Collections' but I cannot choose 'Collections' as it is always greyed out.

I have not found really clear instructions on the process of creating the collections on Calibre through to seeing the collections on the Kindle - there always seems to be a missing step (like choosing 'Collections' on the aforementioned dropdown ?) so I am not clear what is going wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kindle running 5.3.7.3.
Calibre 2.67
Jailbreak as above

Last edited by Ramses505; 10-11-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Ramses505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think this is a Kindle question, not Calibre or a Calibre Plugin.

Moving
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
Ramses505
Ramses505 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi theducks, I did look around the various forums trying to decide where the best place to post this would be, thanks for moving it if it was posted wrongly.

I thought that as it concerns a jailbreaked Kindle and it is not to do with the operation of the actual Kindle, but additional software (Calibre plus a plugin ? Collections Manager) that it might be better found in the Software section.

I am sure that your sig. is maybe not directed directly at me, but for the record, I did try and do my homework around the issues I was having before asking for help.

I see that this post maybe reads as me being slightly annoyed or has a sarcastic tone - I'm not and it isn't and I appreciate both yours and any other help I am given. Great forum and I can see that you have played a good sized part in it's success.

Thanks again.
Ramses505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I can confirm that Collections Manager should import the collections.json the Kindle Collections plugin generated, so the likely problem is that the collections.json is not being created properly.

Just to double-check, you did make sure to export the collections to your Kindle (via the appropriate plugin option), yes? If so, then the file "[userstore]/system/collections.json" should exist (where [userstore] is the Kindle device as mounted by your computer, and system is considered by the Windows operating system to be a "hidden" folder).

It is about Collections Manager and the Kindle Collections plugin, so the best place to post would be in either the Kindle Collections or Collections Manager support threads, ideally whichever one is the cause of the problem... but failing that, you could also post a new thread in the Kindle Developer's Corner (KDC).
(My analysis of the situation is that the actual problem lies on the Kindle Collections end of things, which is why I am the one answering questions, so don't feel bad about not knowing that.)

Unfortunately, theducks, who is an awesome person, is not particularly a Kindle person (by which I mean he primarily frequents the calibre forums, not the Kindle forums). So he accidentally moved this thread to the Amazon Kindle forum, rather than the KDC subforum where you could actually get an answer.
(I have reported the thread to the people who do have moderation capacity in this subforum, so hopefully that should change soon.)

Plus, I am mostly the only KDC regular who really checks the Amazon Kindle top forum, and I'm not actually very regular anymore. Since NiLuJe (currently our one and only moderator, with the power to move the thread again this time to the KDC) is also kind of gone at the moment... and NiLuJe is the Kindle Collections maintainer as well...

Basically, what I am saying is that you weren't being ignored, much though it might seem that way. It's just that our usual helpdesk is in a state of shambles. So, sorry about that.

I hope you haven't given up in the month it took for someone to notice this thread, and that you in turn notice that someone has posted to this thread.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-06-2016 at 09:29 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:58 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the Kindle Developer's Corner.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote