Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I buy via PayPal since I don't get charged a transaction fee.
What's a transaction fee?
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
As did I. Although it may not matter as I am becoming disinclined to use their store the more they do stuff like this.
As Kobo is one of the few that allows a coupon for non-agency eBooks, I'm still using Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
What's a transaction fee?
A transaction fee is a fee charged for using a credit card outside the country in which the credit card was issued. Kobo is in Canada and I am in the USA. So if I was to use a credit card, I'd get charged for the privilege. Using PayPal, I don't get charged a transaction fee.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Thanks so very much for the heads up! I buy nothing at Kobo unless I can use one of their coupons, and I'd been very pissed if this Quick Buy thing had caused me to buy a book at full price
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
If you haven't purchased from them before, you won't get Quick Buy, as they don't have a credit card stored.
Quick Buy was activated in my account (didn't try wether I'd get a popup or not). And I have never bought a book using a credit card...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #21
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I too noticed the new checkout options this morning when looking at the Australian book offer. There was an option to use regular checkout which I did but as I clicked through to that I noticed the quick buy check box was ticked by default to quick buy from now on and I think had I gone to purchase another book I too would've ended up not being able to enter a promo code I have since gone to my account settings and deselected quick buy

Why anyone would want to use it if you don't get to enter the promo code is beyond me
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quick Buy is clearly Kobo's answer to those who want a one-click purchase system like Amazon has. I've seen more than a few threads here from people who are annoyed at having to go through the normal multi-step buying process and who want a way to just quickly buy a book.

It's clear, though, that Kobo needs to clarify what's going on for their customers. I would have guessed the quick buy option was a one-click option and opted out, but it's clear not everyone will know that. Not if they're not familiar with options available at other ebook stores. Perhaps a better explanation up front when asking if people want to opt in. I also like how Amazon's buy button changes to tell you it's now a one-click button. Kobo needs to implement something similar.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a shopping cart. I imagine it would be hard to implement together with coupons that often can only be used for one book. Personally, I'd rather have coupons than a shopping cart.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #23
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
Unfortunately this thread came too late for me. I downloaded my free book successfully yesterday, but today's book was added to my library and the purchase price was extracted from my account before I had a chance to realise anything was different. Like Murg, I rang the 1800 number, but I couldn't understand the operator and he couldn't understand me so I've sent an email. Thanks to this thread I have now changed my settings - I'd forgotten that Kobo had my credit card details, since I always pay by PayPal.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #24
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
And, to make matters worse, in order to opt-out of Quick Buys, I have to enter a First Name, Last Name and Date of Birth on the profile page.

As these are optional fields, there should not be a requirement.

And, Kobo is quick happy to believe that I'm 157 years old.
Sorry about your troubles, but karma to you for bringing it to our attention.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I agree. Sorry you had troubles, but I sure DO appreciate your sharing them with us so we can turn this feature off!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #26
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks for posting this warning. I would have been quite disappointed to discover this by accidently purchasing a full price book.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #27
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Thank you! I had an awful time getting logged in but I finally got it changed. My Kobo Mini should be here tomorrow and I was planning on shopping...you saved me from a nasty surprise.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #28
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
And, to make matters worse, in order to opt-out of Quick Buys, I have to enter a First Name, Last Name and Date of Birth on the profile page.

As these are optional fields, there should not be a requirement.

And, Kobo is quick happy to believe that I'm 157 years old.
thanks for the info - I changed to regular checkout with a first name of No and last name Way.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #29
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Thanks for the warning, i had already turned this off on the android app as i didn't know what it was, now disabled it in my account on the web

I might be still half asleep this morning, but the description
Show me Quick Buy Charges are applied to the credit card we have on file
doesn't make sense
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #30
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Thanks for the warning, i had already turned this off on the android app as i didn't know what it was, now disabled it in my account on the web

I might be still half asleep this morning, but the description
Show me Quick Buy Charges are applied to the credit card we have on file
doesn't make sense
No punctuation in sight. It's kind of ironic for someone selling literature. Should have been...

Quote:
Show me Quick Buy. Charges are applied to the credit card we have on file
doesn't make sense.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote