Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Opinions on Literati needed ASAP

I came across a real deal on a Literati, such a good deal I'm considering adding a second e-reading device. Any opinions from Literati users here? I apologize if this is in the wrong place but I didn't see a literati forum.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I own one, but rarely use it. I have issues with backlit LCDs. I gave it to my roommate, and it's slowly failing. However, others have had better experiences in that regard.

As far as usability, the navigation seemed clunky at first, because the highlight that shows the selected item is light blue, making it hard to see at times. I think had I been able to use it longer, I would have gotten used to that.

The page turn buttons (located on both sides) are touch-sensitive, and John reports that he accidentally turns the page frequently.

Overall, it's not a bad ereader if you like LCDs. If you can get it for a great price, I think it's worth it, but it's nowhere near worth its original retail price IMO.

You should know that the wireless can only connect to the store. There is a hack somewhere that allows you to specify another address (such as Google) so that you can navigate elsewhere via links.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I own one, but rarely use it. I have issues with backlit LCDs. I gave it to my roommate, and it's slowly failing. However, others have had better experiences in that regard.

As far as usability, the navigation seemed clunky at first, because the highlight that shows the selected item is light blue, making it hard to see at times. I think had I been able to use it longer, I would have gotten used to that.

The page turn buttons (located on both sides) are touch-sensitive, and John reports that he accidentally turns the page frequently.

Overall, it's not a bad ereader if you like LCDs. If you can get it for a great price, I think it's worth it, but it's nowhere near worth its original retail price IMO.

You should know that the wireless can only connect to the store. There is a hack somewhere that allows you to specify another address (such as Google) so that you can navigate elsewhere via links.
Thanks so much for the swift reply. Yeah, I'm not too concerned about hacking to connect to other sites than the store. Would you say it is worth $44 (that includes shipping)? Seller says its like new. Do you think it will last as much as 2 years? You said the one you gave your roommate is slowly failing. It might be cool to have an LCD as well as an eInk (I love the eInk Kobo WiFi I have).
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Thanks so much for the swift reply. Yeah, I'm not too concerned about hacking to connect to other sites than the store. Would you say it is worth $44 (that includes shipping)? Seller says its like new. Do you think it will last as much as 2 years? You said the one you gave your roommate is slowly failing. It might be cool to have an LCD as well as an eInk (I love the eInk Kobo WiFi I have).
Yes, I paid 40 for ours in February and consider it to be worth it. Even though it's failing it's still working, and will probably be usable for a while.

When I say failing, I mean that the battery life is getting to be less and less, and it's quite finicky about connecting to the computer sometimes. Others that bought theirs at the same time I did (the BB&B clearance sale) have had no problems with their units. Technically, it started acting up while under warranty but I just waited and bought him a Pandigital Novel Personal instead of trying to get a replacement.

Another thing to note is that it does not charge via the USB port, only through a wall plug. Some people like this, others don't. Personal choice, really.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yes, I paid 40 for ours in February and consider it to be worth it. Even though it's failing it's still working, and will probably be usable for a while.

When I say failing, I mean that the battery life is getting to be less and less, and it's quite finicky about connecting to the computer sometimes. Others that bought theirs at the same time I did (the BB&B clearance sale) have had no problems with their units. Technically, it started acting up while under warranty but I just waited and bought him a Pandigital Novel Personal instead of trying to get a replacement.

Another thing to note is that it does not charge via the USB port, only through a wall plug. Some people like this, others don't. Personal choice, really.
Thanks, CW! I'll get it as soon as Paypal gets back up. Both of my eReaders together only cost me $100.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Thanks, CW! I'll get it as soon as Paypal gets back up. Both of my eReaders together only cost me $100.
You're very welcome! I hope you enjoy it.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Thanks again, CW. Looks like the Literati will be a birthday present to a friend. I lost my old, "dumb" phone and got my first smart phone from Sprint. They have several for free and I got the Samsung Replenish. I didn't think I'd be able to read on a cell but I can and it will serve my reading-in-the-dark needs, I think. I'll test drive the Literati, though, and load up a few Gutenberg books for my friend before her birthday.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Thanks again, CW. Looks like the Literati will be a birthday present to a friend. I lost my old, "dumb" phone and got my first smart phone from Sprint. They have several for free and I got the Samsung Replenish. I didn't think I'd be able to read on a cell but I can and it will serve my reading-in-the-dark needs, I think. I'll test drive the Literati, though, and load up a few Gutenberg books for my friend before her birthday.
Sounds like it worked out all the way around! Congrats on the new phone.