Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #31
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
WIFI is great to daily load Newspapers, read RSS, etc...

Moreover, as someone said, it makes anyone without a computer
able to buy ebooks! Grandmothers, etc... of course you still need an
internet connexion but you can for instance use free starbuck/mcdo
wifi hotspots.

And btw, I don't think it costs more than 10-15$ by units to include a
wifi 802.11g chip. Maybe you think it's expensive because of the iRex,
but remember the most expensive part of it is the large touchscreen e-ink
display, NOT the wifi chip!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #32
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I wonder if wireless (cellular or WIFI) will be the ONLY way to get Kindle-Edition books into the device? What better way to prevent piracy of their Kindle Edition books.

That also begs the question: will there be memory expansion via flash memory? Imagine this: The Kindle only has 64-128MB of internal storage. But the Amazon.com website allows you to store not only your Kindle Edition purchases, but whatever other documents you want on their website. Gigabytes if necessary. Then you use the Kindle to grab documents from your online collection whenever you need something that isn't stored locally. Perhaps it will automatically throw out something you haven't opened in a while, or perhaps it will prompt you to delete something before downloading the new document.

What if? Would that be a good thing? A bad thing? I think it would be an interesting solution.

If this was the only way to get documents to the Kindle, then I'd be slightly concerned about privacy. I'd want some type of public key encryption that ensures that Amazon can't read my private documents on my online account.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #33
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Hey!

Look this: if you search site:amazon.com "Auto-delivered wirelessly to Kindle" in google you obtain 61 results.

I tried some of them and they are not avalaible now, but google's cache stored them.

Look this:
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari

Book number five:
Auto-delivered wirelessly to Kindle via Amazon Whispernet

Amazon whispernet?

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #34
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I just browsed the Mobipocket forums and discovered an entry that was made on March 30th this year where someone already mentioned "Kindle Edition":

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24065

Quote:
I just saw that Amazon is slowly uploading our ebooks, which is fantastic!
But I have a couple of questions. First, I see them listed as the "Kindle Edition". Not sure what that is.
Also, the books are all being listed as being 'by Champagne Books'. Now, the company didn't write these books, the authors did, we merely published them.
Is this a glitch that is going to be corrected, or will I have to log in somewhere and request a correction?

Thanks,

Ellen
Publisher/Managing Editor
Champagne Books
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #35
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have been lurking here for some time and you have a good community. Like many, I have been scouring the net for clues to the Amazon launch which I am very excited (and now let down) about. I have been watching the "kindle editions" grow in number as was pointed out earlier. Did anyone else notice, for the past few days, in conjunction with the vaporous announcement, that the number of "kindle edition" hits on the Amazon site via Google is now shrinking daily, and down to not much more than 1000? I almost hate to attach any meaning to this.

As a frequent business traveler, I really like the idea of the wireless newspaper delivery and ability to carry my sci-fi on one thin device. This whole failure to launch is a real downer. As a marketing guy, I think they really missed the momentum here. I can only speculate that something wasn't ready.

Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplasticguy View Post
I have been lurking here for some time and you have a good community. Like many, I have been scouring the net for clues to the Amazon launch which I am very excited (and now let down) about. I have been watching the "kindle editions" grow in number as was pointed out earlier. Did anyone else notice, for the past few days, in conjunction with the vaporous announcement, that the number of "kindle edition" hits on the Amazon site via Google is now shrinking daily, and down to not much more than 1000? I almost hate to attach any meaning to this.

As a frequent business traveler, I really like the idea of the wireless newspaper delivery and ability to carry my sci-fi on one thin device. This whole failure to launch is a real downer. As a marketing guy, I think they really missed the momentum here. I can only speculate that something wasn't ready.

Jim
Yes, I've been charting the drop. It can only mean two things:

one: They have put up all the Kindle edition titles they were planning on.

two: They are more careful about the titles not appearing on the website.

Last edited by Nate the great; 10-15-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #37
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
two: They are more careful about the title snot appearing on the website.
Oh, yuck. I wouldn't want any title snot on my Web site, either!
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote