Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #16
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Diablo - what if it is fully charged and you don't connect it to a PC? How long does it last then?

Also, just to be sure, you guys aren't keeping your Readers in a cold place are you? For example I went on a trip and I kept the Reader in my bag in the trunk on the way there. After a 6 hour drive with it being 35 degrees out, my Reader's battery was depleted, cold really messes with batteries and drains them.

This was on a full charge without connecting it to the PC. The Reader has been in room temperatures all that time. It took three weeks for the ~600 pages BTW. Maybe the Reader uses more energy than we think when it's off? When I get the change I'm going to test how many pages it can flip in one go. I will post back with the outcome.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #17
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
That's a lot of flipping diabloNL, good luck with that.......

my reader went down to half again......seemed to happen after I connected it to the computer to get that last book purchase on it.... Either way, I haven't gone down to dead yet and it's easy enough to just plug the sucker in to recharge it so I guess in a way, why even worry about it until the battery just won't take a charge anymore?

I wonder if the purchased extra warranty covers a faulty battery? yea go and read the fine print. ha ha that print is so freakin small would need a magnyfying lens.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #18
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

If my battery is really faulty the page flipping won't take that long.

The problem is that I'm now in Chile - Santiago and my battery is empty. Didn't take my charger but only the USB cable. When my battery wend down to one bar I connected it to my GF notebook only to find out it won't charge without the connect software (Why Sony? Why?!) Anyway, right now I'm scanning the people in the hotel with the hope someones got a PSP so I can charge it.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
If my battery is really faulty the page flipping won't take that long.
When my battery wend down to one bar I connected it to my GF notebook only to find out it won't charge without the connect software (Why Sony? Why?!)
This may not be the place for it, but there is something more going on than just needing the Connect software. I just installed the software on my Mac using Parallels (windows environment on Intel Macs). Even when parallels is not running, if I plug the reader in I get the "USB Connected" message and the little read light on the side comes on (thats the charge light, right?).

So if you can't find a PSP look for a Mac -- it might work.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #20
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Diablo - what if it is fully charged and you don't connect it to a PC? How long does it last then?
I'll put my $0.02 worth in, as I was thinking my charge was not lasting long enough. After letting it go all the way down and then charging three times, I did not connect to the PC.

I kept a note of the page numbers so after reading a few books, I found the charge lasted a bit over 4,000 page turns.

As I read it in the horizontal position, it takes two presses of the button for one page, so doubled the number of pages to get this.

Far from the 7500 they tout, so just for kicks, called Sony and told them this. I was told that if I had doubts about the battery, I could send it in for checking, but declined. From what I read here, 4K sounds pretty good. Sure beats the old Rocket eBook!

Sony says battery only used for page turns, but I wonder about using the Mark and the on/off switch. Suppose that must take some power too, or not?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
Sony says battery only used for page turns, but I wonder about using the Mark and the on/off switch. Suppose that must take some power too, or not?
Clearly the rest of the hardware - CPU, memory, LEDs, etc etc etc must use some power. I suspect that what Sony mean is that, unlike an LCD display, which constantly uses power, the eInk screen only uses power when its contents change.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #22
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

I'm going to look for an universal power adaptor here in Chile. Can somebody confirm that the middle pin is the +?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #23
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
I'm going to look for an universal power adaptor here in Chile. Can somebody confirm that the middle pin is the +?

Yep. Its plus for the tip and negative for the ring..

You will need one that can do 2.5 Amps.

Last edited by Nightwing; 01-01-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #24
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
Yep. Its plus for the tip and negative for the ring..

You will need one that can do 2.5 Amps.

Thanks Nightwing! What would happen if I would take a 1 Amp one? Wouldn't it work? I think it should work or I'm I wrong? Probably just takes longer to charge.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #25
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Part of me says would take longer... But could pop the power supply also. Depends on the PS designed.

You should be able to find a PSP charger some where there.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #26
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Part of me says would take longer... But could pop the power supply also. Depends on the PS designed.

You should be able to find a PSP charger some where there.

I don't mind if it's the power supply that pops as long it is not the reader. I want to prevent buying a PSP charger because it's a little expensive known to the fact I need to charge it only ones with it.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #27
Nightwing
Addict

If you could borrow one. Would take about 5 hours to charge...

Have you been able to find anyone that would loan one for a while.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #28
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If you travel a lot the number and weight of transformers quickly becomes overpowering. There is a line of "everywhere" adapters called iGo. In the USA it is available at Radio Shack and on-line. (Maybe elsewhere, not sure.) So I carry one transformer and a bunch of adapters that allow me to charge my laptop, cell phone, camera, handycam, mp3, and my Reader. If you are interested, it is adapter (or "tip" as they call it) A54. It is rated at 5.4V, produces 5.41 V without other loads on the circuit. The Reader charger produces 5.39 V. Both fit the same plug and have '+' tip and '-' collar (ring.)

The main unit that I am using will work from a wall outlet, auto jack, or airplane connection.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #29
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
If you could borrow one. Would take about 5 hours to charge...

Have you been able to find anyone that would loan one for a while.

Not yet. The first guy I asked if he has a PSP said: "what's a PSP?"And the annoying thing is that you have your answer ut still need to explain what a PSP is.

RWood thanks for the tip I will look in to that.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #30
Nightwing
Addict

What were you plugging the Reader via the USB into?

Wondering now if a stand along of just the Reader driver only could be used to trick it into charging it. Would solve some problems with people esp Mac to chard up the little thing.