Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
alchemyst
alchemyst began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
prs505 problems with files - please help

Hi guys,

I spent the day yesterday converting my html files into rtf files.

Some, I could do directly through Word.

Others, I had to save as txt file and then convert to rtf through Word.

Changed all the titles to read: author last name/author first name - book title.

Everything looked great.

Then I loaded them onto the reader, along with a number of pdf files.

And - WHAT a mess. It really looks like a dog's breakfast. I've been pulling my hair out here.

Very few of them came up author last name/author first name - book title.

A lot of them came up with MY name as author (as writer/originator of the doc in word). So, went into each and every one and took my name off.

Some had the first line of the synopsis showing where author/title should have been. Removed all those.

Some didn't show a title at all - just a blank space on the reader - altho looking at the rtf file, the information IS there. (???)

Some of the pdf files show the info all wrong - for instance author first name/author last name - title .... instead of author last name/author first name - title. Bringing up the properties for the pdfs, it does not appear you can rename them. (???)

The book I'm reading right now is in pdf format - and as far as text/font/size etc - its fine. (which is why I thought saving the pdfs yesterday just as they are - would be ok).

BUT - some 'pages' (of this present pdf book, anyway) when shown on the reader - only have one or two lines of text per page - and there are a LOT of blank pages - or nearly blank pages. Not EVERY page, but enough that it becomes a nuisance!

Any books I've read on the prs505, up until the pdf that I'm reading now, were txt files - and altho there were some small glitches in continuity - there wasn't so many blanks.

Some of the titles on the reader are shown in very large font, while others are small/normal.

Some show the title first and then the author in tiny font in the right corner - others have the author first, and then the title, all in the same size font.

Obviously, this converting is not nearly as simple as I first thought ... (understatement).

What do the rest of you do? Am I just being anal about this stuff?

I'd really like everything to show up exactly the same - so that scrolling titles or authors is a simple thing - and the authors all stay together.

(For instance: I've been working my way through all 17 of Stephen White's books. All but the last 2 books were in txt format. The txt files come up fine - with only minor glitches. However, the last two books in the series are saved in pdf format. And - those last two books/pdf - are NOT shown under W (White, Stephen) ... they're under S - (Stephen White) ... so not REALLY seeing all the books by a given author at all.

Sorry - rambling now - but so FRUSTRATED. Obviously missing something here.

Any suggestions? lol (Be nice! lol)

Thanks guys,
A
alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemyst View Post
Any suggestions? lol (Be nice! lol)

Thanks guys,
A
This is what I do for texts accessible with microsoft word:
1) Correct any format problems if needed
2) Save as html filtered.
3) Import them in Calibre
4) Edit metadata in Calibre (name of the book, author,...)
5) Convert to lrf

Otherwise, I experience the same problems.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
My advise: use BookDesigner to make your ebook in lrf format and Calibre to edit metadata and tranfer to the Reader.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
alchemyst

Smile

Hi guys,

Will definitely put both of your suggestions to use - thank you so much for taking the time to clue me in ... I knew I had to be missing something ... and the metadata issue - I should have twigged to that

I just started reading my first-ever book in epub format ... what a revelation ... even the cover art is perfect - the font is bigger than anything I've read so far (can use it on medium or even on small without toooooo much hassle) - no continuity glitches - no pages with one or 2 lines of txt. Ahhhh ...

Thanks again for taking the time to respond ... going now to put your suggestions to use

A
Old 08-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Before I import a pdf into calibre I always check the document properties (ctrl-d) because that's what my 505 looks at and calibre doesn't change them even if you edit the metadata in calibre.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
alchemyst

Thank you SuperLucky ... I wondered about the pdf files ...

IS there a way to edit the properties of a pdf, so that it comes up correctly on the prs505?

Sounds like maybe there isn't?

Thanks again ...
A
Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
IS there a way to edit the properties of a pdf, so that it comes up correctly on the prs505?

A
There is. Sorry, I have Acrobat and my suggestion was based on the assumption you did as well (dumb). You can change the properties on a pdf so that it shows correctly on your device, but you need a pdf editor in order to change the document properties. I googled "free pdf editor" and noticed that there are some options.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
There is. Sorry, I have Acrobat and my suggestion was based on the assumption you did as well (dumb).
Yes, there are other tools which allow to correct the properties (or "metadata") of a pdf.
Here is one.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote