Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Tassyr
Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Need help finding a new book!

Aright- so I finally broke down, got myself a kindle, and am trying to find a book. Any book, really. I've torn through the collection I've... er... collected... and thanks to a terrible financial situation, I really don't know what's out there right now.

That's the preface. So last night I sat down and watched the Fifth Element, which has been one of my favorite movies, since I was a kid. I immediately went, "God, I wish people wrote books with this sort of feel!"

... simply put- do they?
Tassyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassyr View Post
Aright- so I finally broke down, got myself a kindle, and am trying to find a book. Any book, really. I've torn through the collection I've... er... collected... and thanks to a terrible financial situation, I really don't know what's out there right now.

That's the preface. So last night I sat down and watched the Fifth Element, which has been one of my favorite movies, since I was a kid. I immediately went, "God, I wish people wrote books with this sort of feel!"

... simply put- do they?
Yes they do. I find more books have it than movies.
What kind of genres or authors are you interested in?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Well there's this list at goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/book/simila...lement-a-novel or you could try movies like The Fifth Element and see which ones came from or were novelized as a book: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fift...fifth_element/

Alternatively just start exploring the science fiction section of your local library, bookshop or Amazon.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
have you seen goodreads.com/recommendations?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Tassyr
Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tassyr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Yes they do. I find more books have it than movies.
What kind of genres or authors are you interested in?
Apache
scifi mostly, at least for now, when it comes to genre. I'm completely open as to authors; but people I've enjyed in the past include Heinlein, Pratchet... er. sorry, I should be able to name more, but I'm heading out in moments and my brain is very tired. XD
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Tassyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
have you seen goodreads.com/recommendations?
Unfortunately, what I'm drawing from is a movie, not a book; when I look up t he book version, just about everyone says it stunk- so the recommendations are odd.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Well, since you mentioned a bad financial situation, you can't go wrong giving "Turing Evolved" a try. It's a free book and really quite good, one of the more pleasant surprises I've had after purchasing an ebook reader was the discovery of a large number of free, or really cheap, books that are excellent reads. Keep an eye on this forum in the freebies and recommended reading sections and you'll be astonished at what you come across.

http://www.amazon.com/Turing-Evolved.../dp/B004XR4Y5S
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Have you seen the series Firefly? Did you find the tone to be similar at all? (the snark/fun, maybe?) I ask because there was a thread about "books similar to Firefly" and you might like the recommendations. Here it is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127749

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
John Steakley's "Armor" has some of that SF/absurdity/violence mixture, especially the Jack Crow section.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
H.P. Lovesauce
Word Herder
H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Tassyr, if you ever find such a book, please let me know.
H.P. Lovesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
Tassyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Well, since you mentioned a bad financial situation, you can't go wrong giving "Turing Evolved" a try. It's a free book and really quite good, one of the more pleasant surprises I've had after purchasing an ebook reader was the discovery of a large number of free, or really cheap, books that are excellent reads. Keep an eye on this forum in the freebies and recommended reading sections and you'll be astonished at what you come across.

http://www.amazon.com/Turing-Evolved.../dp/B004XR4Y5S
Hah! Funny you should mention that- I have it, and have already torn through the thing fast. XD it was a fun read, although I wish it hadn't been in first person. (call it a pet peeve.)
Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
Tassyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
John Steakley's "Armor" has some of that SF/absurdity/violence mixture, especially the Jack Crow section.
Yanno, I read that way back when in a paperback format- and I might need to read it again, but I swear it did nothing for me, at all. Still, it's been years.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #13
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
how has nobody suggested The Fifth Imperium or the Baen free library yet?

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

http://www.baen.com/library/

there's enough free sci-fi and fantasy there to choke a horse. I'm partial to David Webers Honor Harrington series but theres enough there to keep you reading for the rest of your life. And its all free and legal.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
In addition to what xg4bx mentions, take a look at the freebies section of the forum for the Baen webscription deals. There should be several threads still active at this point and some of the books are quite good. I've gotten into Larry Correia's books, especially the Monster Hunter series, that are done through that site.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I second the Fifth Imperium/Baen Books suggestion. Huge number of great books by well established authors for free.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote