Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #4171
kuromusha
Enthusiast
kuromusha began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-T2, PRS-T3, Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the return you' get from fixing up PRS+ is almost non-existent. Most people who used PRS+ have moved on as their Sony batteries died. Plus, with Readers such as Kobo, there's no need for PRS+. So not only do you no longer need PRS+, but you get a Reader that's faster, more reliable, handles hi-res images much much better, has a significantly better higher res screen with more contrast, font light, newer version RMDSK, and maybe a larger screen.
Nope, PRS-350 trumps all new reader is all aspects. For epub, there is simply no better reader than the 5 inch Sony on the market. Why would anyone need a reader larger than a 5 inch for epub? I have collected over half a dozen PRS-350 over the years, most of them in most are in new conditions with excellent battery life. I have sony lighted cover, which is better than front light because it also lights up my footpath which front light can not do. And the traditional light is so much better, just any thinkpad users, which do they prefer, thinklight or backlight?

Also, sony PRS-350 has metal body and FIVE physical buttons, which I can map with PRS+, giving me 10 shortcuts/functions. The new readers are horrible with their button less designs.

Anyways, I really want to improve PRS+, which language is it coded in? There are many bugs, although there are workarounds, but I want to remove them.

Last edited by kuromusha; 08-07-2017 at 06:13 AM.
kuromusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #4172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
Nope, PRS-350 trumps all new reader is all aspects. For epub, there is simply no better reader than the 5 inch Sony on the market. Why would anyone need a reader larger than a 5 inch for epub? I have collected over half a dozen PRS-350 over the years, most of them in most are in new conditions with excellent battery life. I have sony lighted cover, which is better than front light because it also lights up my footpath which front light can not do. And the traditional light is so much better, just any thinkpad users, which do they prefer, thinklight or backlight?
I find the size of the 350 to be too small. I have a 650 and yes, the aluminum body is nice, but it also adds to the weight. I have a Kobo Aura H2O and I rather like the 6.8" screen. As for the lighted cover, I much prefer the front light. It's a lot more even and I can adjust the level of the light other than low or high. One thing I rather like that PRS+ cannot do is hyphenation. I prefer hyphens to gaps. Also, I like the Carta screen as it does give better contrast than Pearl. And the resolution makes the text sharper and clearer.

Quote:
Also, sony PRS-350 has metal body and FIVE physical buttons, which I can map with PRS+, giving me 10 shortcuts/functions. The new readers are horrible with their button less designs.
That can make it easier to jump to some place instead of multiple taps.

Quote:
Anyways, I really want to improve PRS+, which language is it coded in? There are many bugs, although there are workarounds, but I want to remove them.
If you go to the the first post in this thread, the link to the project is there. You can get the source. It's in javascript.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #4173
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the return you' get from fixing up PRS+ is almost non-existent. Most people who used PRS+ have moved on as their Sony batteries died. Plus, with Readers such as Kobo, there's no need for PRS+. So not only do you no longer need PRS+, but you get a Reader that's faster, more reliable, handles hi-res images much much better, has a significantly better higher res screen with more contrast, font light, newer version RMDSK, and maybe a larger screen.
Depends on what you want Jon.
My 650 is still in daily use as the reader I use on my lunch at work (Kobo Aura HD at home).
My 350 is still my travel reader of choice (over my Kobo Mini)

So I probably read on a Kobo slightly more than a Sony, but not by much.

Reliability has never been an issue with any of my Sony Readers (My 505 still works ).
And browsing folders is still preferable to me than managing collections.

Saying that though, can't say I've seen a lot of bugs in PRS+.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #4174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I prefer the H2O over a 650 with PRS. It just works better and looks better for a more enjoyable read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #4175
kuromusha
Enthusiast
kuromusha began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-T2, PRS-T3, Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post

Saying that though, can't say I've seen a lot of bugs in PRS+.
oh geesh, where do I begin. Some bugs I have found

1. When are you reading upside down after rotating 180 degrees, then you go to the home screen, the home screen is completely screwed up with bottom sections missing.

2. When you are reading upside down, the images in stand by returns to normal position, not upside down.

3. When you have "close popup by page tap" turn on and "keep selection after dictionary" turn on, the reader will NOT keep selection after you close the popup by page tap. (but will if you close the popup by clicking on the X)

4. When you have the dictionary popup active, and you swipe to turn a page, it will turn pages infinitely until you tap again to stop it.

5. If you assign "size" to one of the key bindings, it will give you "zoom page" instead of "size".

6. When you read in portrait mode, the text size will be a lot larger than the size in portrait, and the book will not flow properly, absolutely unusable for epub.

7. When you assign turn 180 degree (not sure about turn 90 or 270 degrees) to a key, and you press that key. The screen will not rotate until you initiate another action.

8. When turn 180 degrees, the keyboard is f**ked up, only showing 60% of it.

There are some more bugs that I can't recall right now and I'm sure there are a lot more that I have not discovered.

Last edited by kuromusha; 08-07-2017 at 11:42 PM.
kuromusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:05 AM   #4176
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
oh geesh, where do I begin. Some bugs I have found

1. When are you reading upside down after rotating 180 degrees, then you go to the home screen, the home screen is completely screwed up with bottom sections missing.

2. When you are reading upside down, the images in stand by returns to normal position, not upside down.

3. When you have "close popup by page tap" turn on and "keep selection after dictionary" turn on, the reader will NOT keep selection after you close the popup by page tap. (but will if you close the popup by clicking on the X)

4. When you have the dictionary popup active, and you swipe to turn a page, it will turn pages infinitely until you tap again to stop it.

5. If you assign "size" to one of the key bindings, it will give you "zoom page" instead of "size".

6. When you read in portrait mode, the text size will be a lot larger than the size in portrait, and the book will not flow properly, absolutely unusable for epub.

7. When you assign turn 180 degree (not sure about turn 90 or 270 degrees) to a key, and you press that key. The screen will not rotate until you initiate another action.

8. When turn 180 degrees, the keyboard is f**ked up, only showing 60% of it.

There are some more bugs that I can't recall right now and I'm sure there are a lot more that I have not discovered.
That's probably it then, I don't rotate my reader
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote