Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #151
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I want the Dewey Decimal system!!
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #152
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, Iphone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
You can hold it in your left hand and 'swipe' rather than tap the left hand side of the page (right to left for forward advance and the reverse for backward). I'm not sure if this is a documented feature or not... I discovered it by accident and it works well by simply swiping my left thumb accross the page. Hope this helps!
wow didn't know that!
ics1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #153
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Didn't anyone read the pre-installed Quick Tour guide? Swiping is clearly mentioned on page 4...
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #154
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Didn't anyone read the pre-installed Quick Tour guide? Swiping is clearly mentioned on page 4...
Real Kobo users don't RTFM!
Erm, me included....
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #155
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Long thread. Did a search and didn't spot it, so my number one request (after fixing the spontaneously powering up problem!) would be to add word wrap for plain-text files (should be simple).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #156
QueenPepper
QueenPepper began at the beginning.

Others have said this, but I'd like to join the chorus: some form of collections / tagging / folders -- something to make navigating a large collection of ebooks easier would make the Kobo go from being very good to being great.

I love the 1.9.5 and 1.9.6 updates, by the way -- you guys are doing a great job!
QueenPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #157
tych0
tych0 began at the beginning.

Features

- Yes, a way of navigating folders would be awesome, specially considering you can put a 32GB MicroSD card in there!

- How about a way to manually rescan the library? I've had a few instances where my KT didn't update after I had dragged a PDF/epub onto it, and no amount of restarting/plugging/unplugging worked. I had to keep adding documents until it finally caught on...

Thanks, keep up the good work

PS: The geek side of me would love a section dedicated to applets (sudoku, draw, etc) and a public API, but I understand that's beyond the scope of an e-reader.
tych0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #158
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Not sure if this is a bug or if anyone else has noticed this...

When you use the in-book dictionary on side-loaded (maybe naitive Kobo epubs) it counts you leaving the book so your reading stats end up incorrect. For instance before having the dictionary in 1.9.6 I read at an average of 20-25 minutes a session.

Once i started using the dictionary when reading it's like 7min which is totally incorrect. I haven't been reading A Dance with Dragons in 7min intervals...
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #159
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
A french dictionnary Though I read mostly in english (<3 A Dance With Dragons <3), it would be nice if possible.

The possibility of ordering by collection would be cool as well.

An option to go directly to the dictionnary when pressing a word for 2 secs for Non-Kobo Epub.

Edit: bolded text

Last edited by Mercador; 07-22-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #160
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
I posted this in the general Kobo Future Firmware Feature Request thread but that was silly, so I'll post it here:

The browser should have a landscape mode.

Also, the touch is awesome. I can post on mobileread with it.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #161
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
An option to go directly to the dictionnary when pressing a word for 2 secs.
In version 1.9.6 of the firmware, pressing a word in a non-Kobo EPUB will bring up the dictionary and pressing a word in a Kobo EPUB will bring up a menu where there are choices for dictionary, highlighting and Facebook.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #162
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
You can hold it in your left hand and 'swipe' rather than tap the left hand side of the page (right to left for forward advance and the reverse for backward). I'm not sure if this is a documented feature or not... I discovered it by accident and it works well by simply swiping my left thumb accross the page. Hope this helps!
I do actually do this, but I find it (for me at least) only works sometimes because your thumb has to be closer to the right side of the screen in order to work all the time. If your hand isn't big enough or your thumb doesn't start over to the right enough, you end up accidentally left tapping instead of swiping from right to left.

Last edited by anonymoose; 07-22-2011 at 04:01 PM.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #163
deeby
deeby began at the beginning.

I'd like to be notified when a software update is available, and what changes it includes. By email. Or Twitter. The website says to see if there's an update, connect the kobo through wifi and, well, update it.

But I rarely turn on the wifi.
deeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #164
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
In version 1.9.6 of the firmware, pressing a word in a non-Kobo EPUB will bring up the dictionary and pressing a word in a Kobo EPUB will bring up a menu where there are choices for dictionary, highlighting and Facebook.
Thanks, didn't notice, I updated my request.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #165
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
A french dictionnary Though I read mostly in english (<3 A Dance With Dragons <3), it would be nice if possible.

The possibility of ordering by collection would be cool as well.

An option to go directly to the dictionnary when pressing a word for 2 secs for Non-Kobo Epub.

Edit: bolded text
Hi Mercador,

We have the Song of Ice and Fire series collection in one big 'book'. Not really collection just yet, but that's the one I bought

For your other request, do you mean an English > French dictionary or French > French dictionary?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote