Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Nook Not Recognizing SD Card?

I want to take my nook on vacation and am trying to put some books on an SD card via Calibre.

I've inserted the SD card into the nook, and I can access it from the computer. I loaded my books via Calibre and all the book files are at the root level of the SD card.

I cannot seem to get the nook to acknowledge the SD card, though. When I go to "My Documents", I just get the B&N user guides; checking for new content takes about a second (if that) and yields no new results.

For reference this is about 300 epub files we're talking about and I'm running 1.7 firmware. I'm about to reset to factory defaults and hope that will jar it into recognition, but this is annoying. And I've rebooted several times to no avail.

All help is appreciated, thank you!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I want to take my nook on vacation and am trying to put some books on an SD card via Calibre.

I've inserted the SD card into the nook, and I can access it from the computer. I loaded my books via Calibre and all the book files are at the root level of the SD card.

I cannot seem to get the nook to acknowledge the SD card, though. When I go to "My Documents", I just get the B&N user guides; checking for new content takes about a second (if that) and yields no new results.

For reference this is about 300 epub files we're talking about and I'm running 1.7 firmware. I'm about to reset to factory defaults and hope that will jar it into recognition, but this is annoying. And I've rebooted several times to no avail.

All help is appreciated, thank you!
I would turn your Nook off and then back on. If that doesn't work reinstall the 1.7 update.

Last edited by rdfry; 07-19-2011 at 10:31 AM.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, I've already rebooted several times.

When I returned the device to factory resets, the firmware wasn't set back (so much for factory reset), so I can't easily uninstall and reinstall the firmware that was pushed.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
As I said, I've already rebooted several times.

When I returned the device to factory resets, the firmware wasn't set back (so much for factory reset), so I can't easily uninstall and reinstall the firmware that was pushed.
a factory reset doesn't reset your firmware version, if it did then it would reset it all the back to v1.0. No device, phone etc does that when you do a factory reset.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
What size is that card?
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
When I updated to 1.7, my Classic Nook didn't want to recognize the SD card either (mine is a Sandisk, 8 GB). I tried rebooting several times with limited results -- the Nook would show some of the books on the card, but not all of them. My problem turned out to be a corrupted file, and once I found it and deleted it, the Nook recognizes the card and all of the files on it just fine. I have around 1500 books on my SD card, by the way.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

I gave up on the SD card and went on vacation with the books on the internal storage. It was an 8 hour ride down on Thursday and the same 8 hour ride back on Friday. I read my nook the whole time and didn't take the charger with me because I thought the battery life would give me a good week or so.

When we left the house on Thursday, the battery was 100%. Reading only text novels -- no pictures -- the battery was at 13% when I got home the next day. I barely made it -- it was draining like crazy. What gives? The WiFi was off the entire time, and I don't keep the LCD screen on while reading. Is my nook battery a dud? I'm really shocked.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
[QUOTE=anamardoll;1670917]I gave up on the SD card and went on vacation with the books on the internal storage. It was an 8 hour ride down on Thursday and the same 8 hour ride back on Friday. I read my nook the whole time and didn't take the charger with me because I thought the battery life would give me a good week or so.

When we left the house on Thursday, the battery was 100%. Reading only text novels -- no pictures -- the battery was at 13% when I got home the next day. I barely made it -- it was draining like crazy. What gives? The WiFi was off the entire time, and I don't keep the LCD screen on while reading. Is my nook battery a dud? I'm really shocked.[/QUOTE

The original Nook gets about 10 hours of actual reading time between charges.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
skyblue23
Enthusiast
skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.skyblue23 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Nook
I just updated to the 1.7 firmware and was also having issues. It finally recognized my SD card when I rebooted, but I did notice that the battery was draining overnight.

I recharged the Nook, but then noticed that the battery charge went down to around 25% overnight. I recharged again and the same thing happened. I took the battery out, put it back in and that seemed to help. But I think it's still draining faster than on the 1.5 firmware (never updated to 1.6). I always leave the Wi-Fi off and haven't changed any of the display/device settings, so the only difference would be the firmware.
skyblue23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
dsa1817
dsa1817 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
When I updated to 1.7, my Classic Nook didn't want to recognize the SD card either (mine is a Sandisk, 8 GB). I tried rebooting several times with limited results -- the Nook would show some of the books on the card, but not all of them. My problem turned out to be a corrupted file, and once I found it and deleted it, the Nook recognizes the card and all of the files on it just fine. I have around 1500 books on my SD card, by the way.
How did you find that one corrupted file out of 1500? I have the same problem, about 1500 books on a new FAT32 formatted micro SD card, but my nook classic doesn't see any of them. Reset 3 times, re-formatted and re-copied, no joy. No issues with battery life, though.
dsa1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa1817 View Post
How did you find that one corrupted file out of 1500? I have the same problem, about 1500 books on a new FAT32 formatted micro SD card, but my nook classic doesn't see any of them. Reset 3 times, re-formatted and re-copied, no joy. No issues with battery life, though.
If I remember correctly, I read on one of the message boards that a bad pdf file could cause the problem. I can't remember where I found this information, however. I might have found it through a Google search, since my method for solving computer/device problems is to put the problem into the search box and see what comes up. At any rate, I connected the Nook to my Mac so that I could see the files on the SD card in the Mac's Finder. I did a search for "*.pdf" (without the quotes). One of the files that came up was a book that I had converted to epub -- both the pdf and the epub were on the Nook. I deleted the pdf, and my problem was gone. I think there was also an "Unknown" folder among the list of author folders, and I figured out what author "Unknown" was supposed to be and corrected the information in Calibre and then sent it to the Nook again.

I hope some of this is helpful, and I am sorry that I can't be more specific. Good luck!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote