Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
nicolasqueen
Full Fledged Newbie
nicolasqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook Mars
Smile Getting My Kindle Today!

Hello,

I am getting my new Kindle 2 today. UPS says it is Out for Delivery. I am waiting anxiously for it to arrive! What should I know before it gets here?
nicolasqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
jsadd
jsadd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1, I Pod Touch
Congratulations !!!!
i remember waiting for my Kindle 1, I wanted to hug the UPS man when he came.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine.
P.S. You probably won't get much else done for the next few days.
jsadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It should arrive already on and with instructions on the screen, so just follow the directions. First thing you want to do is plug it into the wall and charge it up. There's a plastic sheet over the front of it you'll have to peel off. Then read the manual and enjoy! You can start using the Kindle while it's plugged in if you want until the battery is fully charged. Go to the Settings screen, put in your registration information, and start Kindling!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Kitten320
Kitten320 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle2
Oh happy day!! I passed out five K2's over the mother's day weekend and I've only had mine since the K2 came out. Watching all my family get them was almost as much fun as when I got mine. Kindlemania has hit the family. My advice is read the guide from amazon already on your new K2 and see how it works. It's an easy, quick read but well worth it. Then grab a few books and enjoy!!! I went crazy...stocking it up but I dont regret it a bit. I LOVE my K2 and all the girls in my family now do as well!!
Kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
nicolasqueen
Full Fledged Newbie
nicolasqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook Mars
Great! I have been reading through the pdf from Amazon and getting more anxious by the minute! UPS needs to break a few speeding laws!
nicolasqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
don't plan anything else until next Monday!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
The best thing you can do to prepare for its arrival is find something you want to read - either something free or cheap from the Amazon store, or from any number of places where you can find free lit, like project gutenberg, a creative commons book, or of course the library here at MobileRead.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
You don't need to register it when you get it unless you tagged it as a gift. If you don't, it comes pre-registered to your account. I saw the name on mine change to what I'd set in "Manage Your Kindle" about fifteen seconds after I first woke it. It also automagically downloaded all the books I'd bought before the release date.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasqueen View Post
Great! I have been reading through the pdf from Amazon and getting more anxious by the minute! UPS needs to break a few speeding laws!
I did the same thing shortly before mine arrived, it helped reduce the anxiety. :P I think you'll be very happy with your purchase; it's a really great piece of hardware, and the software updates seem to be at least semi-frequent.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Congrats!! I'm guessing what you should know is that your life will never be the same! Be sure to schedule in family time! Enjoy! Hope you get going soon
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
You don't need to register it when you get it unless you tagged it as a gift. If you don't, it comes pre-registered to your account. I saw the name on mine change to what I'd set in "Manage Your Kindle" about fifteen seconds after I first woke it. It also automagically downloaded all the books I'd bought before the release date.
They don't always come registered even if you order it on your own.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
My "new Kindletoy" advice --

1) If you use your computer to charge the Kindle, "eject" the Kindle after it shows up as a storage device, so you can play with it while it's charging. On Windows, open My Computer, right-click the Kindle icon and choose "eject". (not "safely remove"). On a Mac, I dunno... and if using the AC plug, I don't think this applies at all.

2) Check out alt-shift-M from the Home screen. I must have burned two hours with that...

3) Learn how to turn off the wireless when you don't need it. (Menu button --> item should be at the top, turn on/off wireless.) Wireless takes battery juice and the battery will charge up faster with it off, and the battery lasts a lot longer if it's off and not charging.

Welcome to the club!
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by numindast View Post
My "new Kindletoy" advice --

1) If you use your computer to charge the Kindle, "eject" the Kindle after it shows up as a storage device, so you can play with it while it's charging. On Windows, open My Computer, right-click the Kindle icon and choose "eject". (not "safely remove"). On a Mac, I dunno... and if using the AC plug, I don't think this applies at all.
On a Mac you just drag the icon for the Kindle's disk (looks like a thumb drive) to the trash to "eject" it.

Though the OP probably knows that if zie has a Mac :-)

Regarding what to do while waiting--I found that exercising helped to burn off the anxiety :-) Also you can go to some of the free book sites (Baen Free Library, Manybooks.net, Mobileread) and pick out free un-DRMed Mobipocket e-books to put on your Kindle when it arrives. That can be fun :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote