Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
LcLk
Aperture Test Subject
LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Faulty Reader?

Hello All( and a happy new year),

I got my first Eink reader for christmas, a brand new Kobo Touch but am rather unhappy after 2 weeks of usage.

I have searched around a bit but couldn't find any answers so would like to hear from other Kobo Touch users about my experience.

Firstly loading my first few purchases and free ebooks onto the kobo took three tries before they were all present (All ~10 books were showing up in the devices library but some wouldn't actually load, the reading bar would be present but no text would show.) On each try I deleted the sql file to reset the library before syncing.

When they were finally all there I used it for two weeks.
In this period the device froze three times, having to power it off and back on again each time.

The touch screen stopped working 7 times, having to restart the device to remedy the problem. The button still worked and so did sleep mode but I was unable to change pages or navigate the home screen.

Also after the first charge to 100%, after two days of use it was at 42%, acting sluggish and after restarting it informed me battery was low and needed charging ...

SO I'm puzzled.
most users seem happy with their Kobo Touch, is mine faulty, should I return it?
Any fixes?

Thank you
LcLk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Sounds like either the Touch itself is faulty, or you have a corrupt file on there somewhere.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcLk View Post
The touch screen stopped working 7 times, having to restart the device to remedy the problem. The button still worked and so did sleep mode but I was unable to change pages or navigate the home screen.
I have seen that quite a few times. Buttons work, but screen touches don't. Have to use the power button to turn it off completely, then back on.

The bugs with Kobo actually seem to be getting worse instead of better. It's getting hard to see my next purchase being a Kobo device.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
LcLk
Aperture Test Subject
LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LcLk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for the replies.
I have been experiencing less problems with the Touch but maybe because I have been using it less often.
I did buy an extended guarantee so if the problems persist I will get a replacement and hope to get a working one, seeing as many people on this forum seem happy with the KT.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
madchen
madchen began at the beginning.

I had exactly the same problems with my Touch freezing when I first got it. It happens much less now, I think because I don't navigate around so quickly. I was handling it a bit like an iPhone at first which was overkill.

For the past 4 months or so I've had problem with my battery draining very quickly (from 2 days to a week). When I first got the Touch I was getting 2 and a half weeks out of it between charges. I've removed most files, thinking there was a faulty one, but the battery can still drain quickly. Not every time, it will go for 2 weeks, then the next time only a couple of days. I only use the reader for an hour at night max.

Should I try removing all books then do a soft or factory reset? Will this reset the firmware back to what it was when I bought it (I don't want to do it if this is the case)?
madchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcLk View Post
.. seeing as many people on this forum seem happy with the KT.

Thanks
i'm not quite sure about this...you'd rather see many complaints about kobo being unreliable and such...maybe there are happy owners out there, but it seems like general problems with kobo...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
LcLk
Aperture Test Subject

Good news everyone,
I had bought my Kobo touch with extended Instant Replacement Warrenty(3 years) and managed to convince the shop assistant that my device was faulty. Sadly no more Kobo units were available and discontinued. So instead I got a Kindle 5 Non-touch(Even got the price difference back in cash )

After using the Kindle for 2 days, it does seem to be smoother and more reliable(This will need some more testing though) considering the Kobo Touch froze three times while trying to set it up. It is more responsive(probably due to physical buttons rather than IR touch screen) but takes some getting used to the navigation system and on-screen keyboard. Using Calibre I had no problem converting my library.
It sure was the best fix available to me.

madchen- I'm not sure what could fix this as I sure couldn't. One thing which improved things was setting the device to power off after 30minutes of no use(not sleep, but fully shut down), as I often found the KT to freeze after long periods of sleep.

Tacty- i agree that at this stage the Kobo Touch doesn't seem like a quality product anymore.Maybe I should have gone with one of the newer models but they weren't available in my area. I for one won't be buying from them anymore(especially since i realised they own Play.com who refuse to ship all of the cool stuff to Ireland )
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Bear in mind the nature of forums. People tend to talk about problems, not when it just works. There are quite a few satisfied Touch owners out there, even in these parts. I'm one of them.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Bear in mind the nature of forums. People tend to talk about problems, not when it just works. There are quite a few satisfied Touch owners out there, even in these parts. I'm one of them.
an ultimate question...how long do you have one and how many freezing during that period?
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
an ultimate question...how long do you have one and how many freezing during that period?
I've had one for almost 14 months and it has NEVER frozen.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
19 months, zero.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
frankenhooker
frankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

I've had a Kobo Touch for nine months and my unit hasn't frozen once. I've had two problems, one was my own fault as I attempted to sideload firmware and I didn't know what I was doing. I thought the unit was 'bricked' but someone on here helped me restore the device. While it was out of action I bought another unit which I've since given to my Mum, this device hasn't frozen either.

The second problem was the device returning to the wrong page, the margin work-around has solved this.

I'm very happy with my device and my Mum has no complaints.
frankenhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I had mine freeze up on me a few firmwares back. It was a particularly large epub I borrowed from my library... six Dresden Files books in one epub. Other then that, I can't recall it freezing. Had my Kobo Touch for just over a year now.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I've had my Touch for ten months and have had zero freezes.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

After 6 months, the only time my Touch froze was when I tried to sideload unreleased firmware.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote