Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Mandrel
Mandrel began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
iPad 3 page size problem

Hi everyone, after days of scouring the inter looking for help I finally realised it is probably better to ask at the source.

I have been struggling with the problem of the epub's I have downloaded having pages split part way down by iBooks. This sometimes results in the last line or 2 being on the next page and sometimes just a blank additional page. Is there anything I can do about this so complete pages are displayed or is it just the way it is. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and appologies if this has been asked before.

I suffer the same issue on both my ipad 3 and my iPhone 4g.
Mandrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not a big user of iBooks, but I am a user of ePubs. If I correctly understand what you are describing, then that is not normal in any reading app. That is, books should flow seamlessly between pages without any extra lines added/deleted or blank pages.

Where are you getting the ePubs that are flowing incorrectly? Off the top of my head I would say these ePubs probably were not formatted correctly.
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Mandrel

Hi, Jack, thank you fro your response, some of the books came from this site some from others. I have tried using Calibre but with little or no effect. Is there any way to format these for the iPad?

Craig
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Does this happen only once or twice per book?
If so it could be a result of a limitation of the ePub format that each file that makes up the book is not allowed to be more than a certain size.
If the book has been converted to ePub in an unsympathetic way, that could result in a file-change midway through a sentence.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
I had a similar issue some time back and digging into the epub found CSS code causing the issue. Early versions of Calibre would generate epubs with the 'page-break-before: always' code in it. This would cause iBooks to generate a blank page when it switched html files in the epub. If the epub tries to cram all the text into as few a files as possible and uses that CSS code, then you can see something like what you describe. The only real solution I have found was to edit the epub and clean up the formatting myself. Newer Calibre conversions don't include that code but if you try to reconvert an existing epub it will still have that code in it.

Not sure if that will help you any.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Mandrel

Thanks for the info, I had thought it was a page break issue. Can you give me any advice or guidance on how to clean this up or is it too big a job for someone with limited CSS knowledge.