Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #76
exapted
exapted began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I am considering 9"-10" e-ink ebook readers, and the PocketBook 901 seems ideal. Light, big clear plastic non-glare screen, seemingly good interface. The following are some features I would like to see, although I don't promise to actually wait until September (I really want a device now). These are the features I think a lightning fast ereader should have:
(1) A way to create table of contents from within a document, which can then be used to jump around the document. Good default chapter names (numbers would be good).
(2) This is related to 1. A way to scroll down lines in the book and create links to other pages. This way, a user could turn a non-linking TOC into a set of links.
(3) Regarding 1 and 2 above: It should be possible to navigate using the created TOC without having to view any specific page with links. In other words there should be some kind of native TOC interface, and that interface should be optionally activated when creating a TOC from the document's non-linking TOC. And if there are pre-existing internal links in a document, it should be possible to view these links in either the native TOC interface or similar. Perhaps the native TOC interface should be the default link navigation menu, and possibly there could be another link navigation menu or extra links could appear below the TOC.
(4) Regarding 1 and 2 above: What would be ideal, in the case that the user is creating links / TOC, would be to allow the user to either enter a page number or to start from some arbitrary page number and scroll through pages until the right one is found, select it, then get back to the page from which the link is being created, or to the TOC creation interface where the TOC item is being created.
(5) A mode to page through a document very fast, maybe viewing multiple pages at a time, then jump into a page as needed. It should be possible to jump between these two modes easily. It should be possible to hold a button and continuously page through a document either backwards or forwards as desired.
(6) A way to set pan and zoom settings for specific pages, and specific sets of page numbers. So I should be able to go to a page, pan and zoom to the ideal setting, then either set that page to that zoom and pan setting indefinitely, and optionally set all odd numbered pages in a certain range to that setting (actually a set of ranges would be very important). Then I should be able to go to the next page and do a similar thing for even numbered pages, except with a different pan setting. And, I should be able to input a list of the specific page numbers that such a setting should be applied to. So for example, maybe I have a book where the first page of each chapter is centered, and then the remaining pages of each chapter are set either towards the left or the right, in alternating fashion. Maybe some lines or other stuff appear along the margins, preventing any auto-cropping feature to zoom into each page in an ideal fashion. With the features I mentioned, one could go to the first page of the first chapter, zoom and pan to the ideal setting, then list the page number for the first page of every single chapter (see number 4 above for how this could work better), then go to the second page of that chapter and zoom and pan, and list the sets of pages that this setting should be applied to (alternating, starting with that setting, and continuing for some range, and multiple ranges should be allowed, and some interface similar to number 4 above could make this easier), etc. So in 3 big steps I could set up my viewing of the document in my example such that it is ideal.
(7) Smart crop. This one might be kind of difficult, and require some kind of image processing and/or machine learning techniques to get it right. But it could obviate the need for the user to use the features as described in 6. It would crop each page according to just the main text, and leave out any lines, page numbers, semi-extraneous text in the margins, etc.
(8) Regarding 6 and 7, it should be possible to temporarily reverse the zoom and pan level without setting it indefinitely, and the indefinitely set zoom and pan settings should by default apply even when in landscape mode (viewing only part of a page). So it should be possible to zoom in further, without losing the zoom and pan settings you set before. And when you switch to landscape mode, the zoom and pan settings you have for that page should define the boundaries of the page from which the sections of the page are rendered.

These are just ideas, and even if none of them are included the PocketBook 901 would be my top choice for PDF textbook and research paper reading.

Last edited by exapted; 05-15-2010 at 06:19 AM.
exapted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #77
krjrs
krjrs began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
an option for djvu viewer (and pdf?) available in custom config: for two or more column view - the left/right shift step should be +1 column. an example. having A4 djvu'ed paper/magazine, with two or three column text, when you zoom into 2 or 3 column view - switch left/right should be between columns and not between fragment of a column. besides, when switching left/right column, a top of the page could be loaded (custom view option). then you can read easy column by a column. or is there alternative/better djvu viewer than the defauld one?
krjrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #78
krjrs
krjrs began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
another thing, rather a gadged, but it can be useful in some cases.

document playlist/queue (after one docu is finished, another one is loaded automatically according to the playlist, like with music). good for sets of short documents or for modular architecture (like step-by-step guided scripts).
krjrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #79
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I'd really like the ability to display dictionaries entries full screen, even during word lookup while reading. I'm creating reference material that it would be nice to be able to lookup without having to leave a book. I was going to create epubs but will probably create dictionaries too.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #80
darkforce
Enthusiast
darkforce began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Just an idea.
If the last page can be set as power-off logo, make it seamless reading wiht setting all of these to 'last opened page':
- startup logo
- power-off logo
- At startup, open
darkforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #81
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Just an idea....

Instead of page turn, allow the possiblity of page scroll .... perhaps at a pre-defined speed.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #82
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
I have ordered my first ebook reader Pocketbook 301+ and am eagerly waiting for it.

My next ebook reader would be surely a 9-10" reader and PB901 is a potential option already in consideration.

I mainly plan to use my 10" reader for reading pdfs. What I need is an excellent pdf support. I have lots of my technical books and drawings. As I have to carry binder full of drawings and documents while going to my site, instead I would want to load all these pdfs in the reader and use. As the drawings will be in various sizes from A3 to A1, the reader should have the capability to zoom to easily readable size (without distorting the quality) and then pan to move all around the drawing. I am not sure whether existing pocketbook has this feature even to read such big sizes. Though I do not want to use 6" screen for this purpose as it seems too small. 10" size is a good readable size similar to a netbook.

Another nice to have would be a detachable lid for the 10" screen similar to the existing PB360 model.

Hope pocketbook team would not disappoint me, as I may not get 5 votes similar to my requirement
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #83
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
A real dictionary! Not a translation dictionary, but one to look up words in that is more current than 1913. I'd pay for this.

-Marcy
add my vote to this.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #84
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
add my vote to this.

and another .... (OED or similar)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #85
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Look here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...%2Flingvo.html

these are easy to convert to the Pocketbook format
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #86
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Having used the 302 for a few days - here are my votes for the most important things I would like to see

- a better cover. The current one blocks the power socket. Also cannot use the side buttons. Makes them kind of pointless. Also - make it open horizontally.

- make the 302 use metadata! It amazes me that it does not even show it to you.

- make cover art more visible. I can only see it on epub files.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #87
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
One feature which will make the life easier for the customer is to have a very good detailed user manual specific for the product. I hope everyone will agree to this.

In present user manual, many details are missing / content not applicable for the specific product.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #88
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
One feature which will make the life easier for the customer is to have a very good detailed user manual specific for the product. I hope everyone will agree to this.

In present user manual, many details are missing / content not applicable for the specific product.
Definitely agree. This is an area that needs more attention IMHO.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #89
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
I know this isn't a software feature, but it's worth a shot: a more robust case. Some of us are more clumsy than others =).
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #90
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyak View Post
I know this isn't a software feature, but it's worth a shot: a more robust case. Some of us are more clumsy than others =).
Hey, spideyak, look at this thread in the Deutsch sub-forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79946 (you can put it through Google Translate - or something - to read it...).

This guy, rasch, has created the most awesome-looking carbon fiber cover for the PB301. From what I can tell, he is working to make them commercially, maybe even through/with Pocketbook (?).

I don't know why no other manufacturer of cases has thought of this idea, but you may want to haunt that thread to see how rasch's efforts turn out.

If I had a PB301 - I'd want it... Heck, I'd want something like it for ANY of the e-readers!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote