Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
stuckinoh08
stuckinoh08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
ePub to Mobi...formatting goes out the window?

Alright, I have attached a zip containing 2 different files. The ePub is the input file and the mobi is the output. If you preview the ePub everything looks fine, but when you open the mobi...well, it looks like a bomb went off. I need to know if anyone knows how to a.) fix this so that it doesn't do it in future conversions, and b.) explain to me why it's doing it in the first place.

Please note that this conversion was done with all the "default" settings intact.

Thanks!

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 09-05-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: attached file removed by MobileRead moderators
stuckinoh08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know why your mobi looks so bad, but when I downloaded & converted the ePub, the results were perfect. Better give it another try
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
First off, you *really* shouldn't be posting copyrighted material here. The file will be deleted.

I did get a copy and coverted the epub to mobi with command line. While it isn't as messed up as yours, there is definitely a huge paragraph indent. Other than that it looks just fine.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Do not post copyrighted books to MobileRead, unless there is permission from the copyright holder. - MODERATOR
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
First off, you *really* shouldn't be posting copyrighted material here. The file will be deleted.

I did get a copy and coverted the epub to mobi with command line. While it isn't as messed up as yours, there is definitely a huge paragraph indent. Other than that it looks just fine.
For the record, I didn't realize this was copyrighted material until I converted it to mobi -- not my cup of tea anyway -- deleted it immediately as I didn't want illegal books on my Kindle or Nook.

BUT, with a standard Calibre ver. 0.8.67 conversion in default mode (with 'use cover from source file' checked) the paragraph indents and rest of the text appeared perfectly normal when viewing it with Kindle for PC. Perhaps you guys get too exotic with command-line and other non-vanilla conversions...
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
stuckinoh08
stuckinoh08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First of all, please allow me to appologize for the posting infraction. In no way am I attempting to violate copyright laws. It just so happened that Ihave all these old epub files from my old sony reader that Iwould like to put on my kindle. Thank you all for your time and effort. I hope that with a few tweaks, I'll be able to get them all moved over.
stuckinoh08 is offline   Reply With Quote