Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
There might be better prices, but does it still work with free shipping on smaller amounts?
That is exactly the point.
Amazon isn't the only one with free shipping or even free two day shipping. The key to Prime is there is no limit to the free shipping in terms of price or size. Whether it be a $3 cellphone battery or a 20lb case of dietary supplement juice, there is no constraint on the shopper. If they want it, they can order it. And the price is generally cheaper and the experience faster and smoother. Search. Pick. Click. Done! No round trip out of the house.
(Asimov's Solarians would approve.)

And yes, as many point out from time to time, not everything in the Amazon online mall qualifies for Prime and Prime isn't always the cheapest listed price. What it almost always offers is the most convenience.

Things like subscriptions for consumables, the physical one-click DASH buttons...

I forget where I saw it amidst the flood of retail reports over the past few weeks but one number that stuck with me was the percentage of visitors to the website that end up buying something on a given visit: 54% or so.
That number is outrageous: most online sites would kill for 10% and Amazon gets half its visitors to buy?

Wish I could remember where I saw that to check and see if it includes Kindle reader visits. Those digital visits may be a good part of that number.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-02-2016 at 08:05 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

And yes, as many point out from time to time, not everything in the Amazon online mall qualifies for Prime and Prime isn't always the cheapest listed price. What it almost always offers is the most convenience.
True. Occasionally I'll be frustrated that an item is not on Prime, or that it's an "add-on" that requires a larger order, but just as often, I'll pay an extra buck or two for the Prime option of an item versus a cheaper non-Prime option, not just because of the probably-faster shipping, but because I trust Amazon's fulfillment process and because I trust that if there is a problem, the return will be hassle-free.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #33
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
True. Occasionally I'll be frustrated that an item is not on Prime, or that it's an "add-on" that requires a larger order, but just as often, I'll pay an extra buck or two for the Prime option of an item versus a cheaper non-Prime option, not just because of the probably-faster shipping, but because I trust Amazon's fulfillment process and because I trust that if there is a problem, the return will be hassle-free.
This is how I do it, too. I had a bad experience years ago buying a book that never arrived from a third party, and now the only time I will buy from a third party seller on Amazon is if it's something that I really need that I can't get either from a local B&M or fulfilled by Amazon. Even before I had Prime I usually only bought if it was fulfilled by Amazon, just for the peace of mind.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Amazon isn't the only one with free shipping or even free two day shipping. The key to Prime is there is no limit to the free shipping in terms of price or size. Whether it be a $3 cellphone battery or a 20lb case of dietary supplement juice, there is no constraint on the shopper. If they want it, they can order it. And the price is generally cheaper and the experience faster and smoother. Search. Pick. Click. Done! No round trip out of the house.

Things like subscriptions for consumables, the physical one-click DASH buttons...

I forget where I saw it amidst the flood of retail reports over the past few weeks but one number that stuck with me was the percentage of visitors to the website that end up buying something on a given visit: 54% or so.
That number is outrageous: most online sites would kill for 10% and Amazon gets half its visitors to buy?

Wish I could remember where I saw that to check and see if it includes Kindle reader visits. Those digital visits may be a good part of that number.
Yes. That is all visits. This is why Amazon has always offered free ebooks.
You know long as I'm here I might as well grab the dog food.
Amazon doesn't distinguish customers by what they buy. Just total number of orders. And the CSR's don't look at the amount spent either.
Note just for a little info, I spent 65 on digital orders, 50 on gift cards and 874 on physical stuff.
No clue on freebies. Though now I am curious.

Update in 2015, I had 1215 digital orders. Of those only 65 were paid orders. 32 were free apps and 7 were apps purchased with coins.
Other interesting trivia. In the last 6 months of 2015, there were only 207 orders of which 26 were paid orders. The majority of orders came between Jan 1 and April 11.

Conclusion: you guys are good for my overall purchases but harder on my wallet.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 01-02-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #35
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

After some years of experience with Amazon, I have the confidence to generally go ahead and buy the item, assuming it does what I want. No shopping about from store to store unless the item isn't right and that seldom happens.

One thing though, on a few occasions, I couldn't find a product I wanted in the Amazon index, and I then looked on google and the product popped up on Amazon. So Amazon could improve their search routines, so maybe the "naysayers" are a little bit right and Amazon isn't absolutely perfect all the time.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #36
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I am the complete opposite it seems from everyone else in this thread. I find the whole online shopping experience risky, unpleasant at times and always more work.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:05 AM   #37
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I use their free trial once a year for some free shipping and fast delivery.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I am the complete opposite it seems from everyone else in this thread. I find the whole online shopping experience risky, unpleasant at times and always more work.
I don't know about "everyone else," but you're definitely the complete opposite of me. I find the online shopping experience an absolute godsend. Risky: rarely. And more work: never. That should be tempered, of course, with the knowledge that buying stuff in person is probably going to involve a two-hour round trip (and all the gas-expense, wear-and-tear, and general inconvenience such a trip entails) to somewhere that even sells the things I want to buy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't know about "everyone else," but you're definitely the complete opposite of me. I find the online shopping experience an absolute godsend. Risky: rarely. And more work: never. That should be tempered, of course, with the knowledge that buying stuff in person is probably going to involve a two-hour round trip (and all the gas-expense, wear-and-tear, and general inconvenience such a trip entails) to somewhere that even sells the things I want to buy.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the news said that shopping at Target was more risky than shopping online.
I forget whether it was 2 or 3 years in a row that they got "hacked".
Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #41
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
I find the online shopping experience an absolute godsend.
+1,000. Especially for grocery shopping. The luxury of someone else prowling the aisles looking for what I ordered, standing in line to pay, shlepping the food to my door, etc. is a real godsend as far as I'm concerned!
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #42
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm glad it works out for you

It probably would for me if I ordered simple items like shampoo from Amazon. But I only order things I can't source locally. Most of it sight unseen, no returns. Risky.

My credit card was "compromised" three times last year. Not from the tea farmer in China but Target, Home Depot (online) and TJMaxx. I no longer store my credit card info anywhere online. More work. Major inconvenience contacting your auto debits. Cash, please.

Since I don't have a front porch, the boxes are exposed to the elements; rain, snow, thieves. Risk. My poor Assam tea

Speaking of boxes, my city requires us to break down the cardboard boxes, tie them with cotton string and bring them to the recycling center. Gas, wear & tear, inconvenience. For myself, that's too much hassle to save 30 cents on paper plates.

Each week I grocery shop for my mother anyway so I just pick up what I need too. Fortunately, I have many retail stores within 20 minute drive and being retired have the time to shop at my own convenience. For the items I can't find, I go online.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It probably would for me if I ordered simple items like shampoo from Amazon. But I only order things I can't source locally. Most of it sight unseen, no returns. Risky.
I don't order day-to-day consumables online. Just luxury-type items I want. I'm sure others' mileage may vary. But what do you mean by "no returns"? I agree it's "risky" if you mean you're ordering things online that you can't return. I've rarely returned anything, but I'm certainly not going to order things where returns are impossible.

Quote:
My credit card was "compromised" three times last year. Not from the tea farmer in China but Target, Home Depot (online) and TJMaxx. I no longer store my credit card info anywhere online. More work. Major inconvenience contacting your auto debits. Cash, please.
Don't blame you, there. That would suck. But I've only ever really ordered things online from one company in the last ten years or so (guess which one! ) and knock on wood ... no problems yet.

Quote:
Speaking of boxes, my city requires us to break down the cardboard boxes, tie them with cotton string and bring them to the recycling center. Gas, wear & tear, inconvenience. For myself, that's too much hassle to save 30 cents on paper plates.
In all fairness, I don't think you're going to be making one trip to the recycling center for every order placed online, so the comparison isn't really all that valid.

I live at least an hour away from everything except groceries, gas, and my place of employment. All those things I can hit with a rock. Everything else I buy online--and thank the stars that I can.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #44
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
I don't order day-to-day consumables online. Just luxury-type items I want. I'm sure others' mileage may vary. But what do you mean by "no returns"? I agree it's "risky" if you mean you're ordering things online that you can't return. I've rarely returned anything, but I'm certainly not going to order things where returns are impossible.

Don't blame you, there. That would suck. But I've only ever really ordered things online from one company in the last ten years or so (guess which one! ) and knock on wood ... no problems yet.

In all fairness, I don't think you're going to be making one trip to the recycling center for every order placed online, so the comparison isn't really all that valid.

I live at least an hour away from everything except groceries, gas, and my place of employment. All those things I can hit with a rock. Everything else I buy online--and thank the stars that I can.
Many items are ordered from overseas. China, India, UK, Japan, Canada and returns can be problematic to say the least. I bought a Kobo sight unseen from Chapters in Canada where I was told they can't accept a mailed return but I was willing to risk $100. The ruined tea was a loss. The defective ink cartridges from China were a loss as it cost more to ship back than they were worth. This was my fault as I didn't notice the location on eBay. Fortunately, the cover I ordered for my Kobo fit well. It also came from China but for $13 willing to gamble.

It just seems my online shopping is fraught with danger

Admittedly, I was a credit card junkie. That 2% cash back was addicting. But, man, when something goes wrong ... what a hassle The worst part is waiting on hold and then supplying all my personal info for "verification" over and over again. Of course, there was always someone I forgot to notify and my payment "bounces."

The boxes aren't that big of a deal. I put them in the closet until I remember to move them out. But it now prevents me from ordering daily staples. My last such order arrived in 12 boxes of various sizes, added to what I had piled up, amounted to clutter. I've watched enough episodes of Hoarders to recognize the signs. I immediately drove around town (for the recycling yard was closed) looking for a dumpster to dispose of my cardboard all the while thinking, "Did I really need to order deodorant?"
When I hear others placing 10, 20 even 50 orders from Amazon, I have nightmares of being devoured by the cardboard box monster seen in the Amazon commercial.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I generally only order from Amazon and Overstock.
Now on boxes, I tend to flatten them as soon as I get them. Now a 39 inch tv box makes a good wall.
Small boxes are also great for crafts.
The itch is when you have to save a giant box in case a return is needed.
I flattened it and put it behind a cabinet.