Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Books in .ZIP files

I have a batch of books stored in a series of .ZIP files with a structure like this:

Library
__Author's Name 1.zip
____Author's Name 1
______Book Title 1
______Book Title 2
______etc...
__Author's Name 2.zip
__etc...

In each of the 'Book Title x' folders the actual book file (.MOBI), the cover .JPG and the metadata .OPF file are found.

Is there a way to add these books in .MOBI format (or better .AZW3) to a Calibre Library automatically?

I attempted adding them using the Add books from directories, including sub-directories (Multiple books per...), but actual .ZIP files were added, each containing only the first book for each author.

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 09-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I attempted adding them using the Add books from directories, including sub-directories (Multiple books per...), but actual .ZIP files were added, each containing only the first book for each author.
It is true calibre only handles 1 book inside a zip. Unzip the directories to a temp location and add them using the Add books from directories, including sub-directories (one book per...) option.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
The problem is ZIP files under Windows are both a file type and a folder at the same time. Remember, the ZIP format is one of the ebook file formats that calibre will accept.

So from calibre's perspective, you've directed it to add the ZIP as an ebook file, not to look into it as a folder. As far as I know there is no way to tell calibre otherwise. (And, honestly, it would interfere with adding ZIP format ebooks - and possibly CBZs and EPUBs since they're ZIPs as well with a dummy extension.)

You would have to decompress/unpack the ZIP files. Once done, you could direct calibre to add the resulting folder and all subfolders normally. Calibre will, by default, create a file structure almost exactly like what you're using (it will remove the "Author Name x.zip" level, moving up the "Author Name" folder accordingly).

Of course, the standard warning applies once you're done: you shouldn't be manipulating the files in calibre's library structure manually or through other software - it will eventually lead to errors and possible data loss.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 09-27-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Hmm... The Doctor(OHh in this case) has beaten me again! Your timing, Doctor, is impeccable. Do you miss Gallifrey?
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to both.

You've confirmed what I already suspected. It will take a long time to unpack all of the books.

I makes me wonder why the original owner would have created that structure in the first place. A Calibre-compatible structure strikes me a far more useful.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The folder structure is very much compatible with calibre, and suitable to use when adding books. In other operating systems, like Linux, it is possible to mount an archive like this and then navigate and use it (almost) like normal files and folders. So it is possible that the person who prepared this archive also used Linux. I assume that it is possible to do the same with OS-X.

However it would have been more convenient if the whole library was in one big zip file.

If unzipped the folder structure is also convenient when using Windows.

Last edited by Adoby; 09-27-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
The folder structure is very much compatible with calibre, and suitable to use when adding books. In other operating systems, like Linux, it is possible to mount an archive like this and then navigate and use it (almost) like normal files and folders. So it is possible that the person who prepared this archive also used Linux. I assume that it is possible to do the same with OS-X.

However it would have been more convenient if the whole library was in one big zip file.

If unzipped the folder structure is also convenient when using Windows.
Ahh...

I've exposed my Windows origins.

I did not know Linux could handle that structure. I don't know much at all about Linux. Certainly, in Windows, I have to go through each .ZIP file in turn, and unpack it - not a pleasant thought.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ahh...

I've exposed my Windows origins.

I did not know Linux could handle that structure. I don't know much at all about Linux. Certainly, in Windows, I have to go through each .ZIP file in turn, and unpack it - not a pleasant thought.
Download WinRAR free trial - and you can select all the zips and unarchive the lot in one fell swoop - see attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2013-09-27 , 19_29_21.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	112258  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks to both.

You've confirmed what I already suspected. It will take a long time to unpack all of the books.

I makes me wonder why the original owner would have created that structure in the first place. A Calibre-compatible structure strikes me a far more useful.
Should not take long.

I use Winrar, but I believe Windows supports a similar mode.

Select multiple Zips: right-click: Extract
Each Zip will be extracted into a regular folder of the same name, at the location of the zip
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Thanks again to everyone.

I have done as you suggested, using a Swiss Army Knife of a package called Directory Opus which I already own. I did not realise these tools natively support iteration.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Glad that you were able to find a handy means to get around the problem.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote