Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #61
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is well known that adults read these books and they might be interested in authors notes and intro stuff. It is nice to put it there for the people who want it. People who don't care can skip it. It is not like it will add weight to the e-books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #62
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It is well known that adults read these books and they might be interested in authors notes and intro stuff. It is nice to put it there for the people who want it. People who don't care can skip it. It is not like it will add weight to the e-books.
True, but if the author doesn't see them as books that are read by adults there is no reason to cater to them.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #63
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I know a ton of people waiting on pins and needles for the official versions to come out. So they can buy them. These same people already have the HB edition and a few have pirated copies of ebooks as well.

Shoot, I know one girl who has multiple copies of each HB edition - due to different covers, etc across the pond.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #64
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm glad we are getting the US versions. The US version of the paper editions are better laid out. I'm hoping we do get all those nice fonts as well.
I know the guy who typeset the US books. I mean I don't really know him, but I worked with him very briefly. From what I understand, even though he usually works remotely, for this job he had to go to the publisher's office, get patted down before starting work, work in little room with no internet, and then get patted down again when he left for the day. So that he couldn't leak any text before the books got released.

But no, I don't think we will get the fonts from the print edition, because I have never seen an epub with the fonts from the print edition.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Shoot, I know one girl who has multiple copies of each HB edition - due to different covers, etc across the pond.
Almost did that (I have the US HB but was really tempted to get both "adult" and "children" editions of the UK HB). Alas the lack of shelf space prevented me from doing so.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #66
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
True, but if the author doesn't see them as books that are read by adults there is no reason to cater to them.
Who says the author doesn't see them as books that are read by adults?

I do think that if there was going to be a special intro or notes or anything, we would have heard about it with the announcement.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #67
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I know there were lots of differences in the first book between the UK and US versions, but it was my understanding that things were left alone for the rest, maybe other than spelling. I know jumpers appeared in book 2, and there wasn't a huge cry that they were wearing a type of dress (one US interpretation of the word).
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #68
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Who says the author doesn't see them as books that are read by adults?
I remembered reading somewhere on the forum that at least one of the reasons why the books weren't out in digital format was because most children don't have ereaders. I can't find the thread now, but I did find this article from when she initially refused ebooks.

Quote:
"There's just not a market for books that don't have appeal to adults, because they're the ones with the devices at this time," says Linda Leonard, associate director of new media marketing for Random House Children's Books. "It is kind of frustrating. Kids are tech savvy, but we can't reach them."
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #69
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
But no, I don't think we will get the fonts from the print edition, because I have never seen an epub with the fonts from the print edition.

eP
ePub supports embedded fonts.
You have to have the right to distribute the font to do so but it is an integral part of the spec so if Rowling wants to it can be done.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Embe..._in_Epub_Files

It might even justify a premium price for the ebooks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #70
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I know there were lots of differences in the first book between the UK and US versions, but it was my understanding that things were left alone for the rest, maybe other than spelling. I know jumpers appeared in book 2, and there wasn't a huge cry that they were wearing a type of dress (one US interpretation of the word).
There was much less changed in the latter books, but there were still quite a few. Here's a link to the list of changes in the first six books. Most of it seems to be spelling differences and changing UK syntax to US syntax.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #71
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I read the British versions a while ago, and the most confusing thing I remember seeing was "dust bins" (or just "bins") instead of trash/garbage can. That one always got me. Some of it was worded a bit strangely to my American ear, but it was all quite understandable.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #72
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I do think that if there was going to be a special intro or notes or anything, we would have heard about it with the announcement.
I doubt there'll be anything special, but it'll probably have a "welcome to the official ebook edition; wow it's been X years since these were first printed and isn't it amazing how popular they still are" introduction, by the author or some bookish celebrity or both.

It's possible they'll include extras, like detailed author notes on each book, or outtakes from some of the other books (the monsters or quidditch book), but I'd expect those to be announced. They may contain coupon-codes for Pottermore or something like that.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

eP
Look at 11/22/63 and you'll see it has a whole host of embedded fonts. I'm guessing they are the same ones used in the hardcover.

If we don't get the fonts, I can put them in. It's just a matter of knowing where they go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Fonts

I've yet to change the fonts in any of my ebooks. Whatever they pick is good enough for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #75
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Actually, it's the other way round for me: I'd like books displayed in the fonts of my choosing, thank you very much...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote