Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
majutsu
majutsu began at the beginning.

Device: None
Several questions from a Newb

Please excuse me, if this seems stupid or asked before:

1. When did generation 2 come out? Is generation 3 coming out soon?

2. I heard someone who wants to wait for generation 3 until someone comes out with a reader with 10 inches display. I too, am looking for the largest possible, something to match an 8.5x11 inch pieces of paper. Is iliad planning something close?

3. How long do your battery life last in the real world?

4. My father loves reading the New York times, how is reading a Newspaper with this? He is also getting long-sighted with age, would this be readable for him without glasses?

5. AFAIK, iliad has the largest display so far but even this is only half the area of an 8.5x11 if my calculations are correct. I want to read big science and math textbooks on this -- will this be legible, or will I have to constantly zoom in and scroll?

6. Can this switch between textbooks seemlessly? Like if I'm reading two books on the same subject? Or does it take a while on both?

Thanks for answer ahead of time.

Last edited by majutsu; 11-22-2007 at 11:26 AM.
majutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

1) 2nd came out about a month or two ago, nothing has been mentioned about a third generation

2) Iliad is the name of the device, Irex is the name of the company and no official announcements are made about a larger screen.

3) I've heard everything between 5 and 15 but really, I use it pretty much and charge it as much as my cell phone, about twice a week

5) I read technical books with it but you won't like it. If you plan on reading text from the net then you can format it the way you want on the iliad but reading pdf files from books that are scanned, is somewhat harder ... but doable

6) it takes longer then I like. could take 30s-1min...
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Regarding the newspaper for your father, I would recommend the new Amazon Kindle.

Battery life for me (v1) has been about 10+ hours.

As far as reading "big science and math textbooks" - well that depends on the format.

You will have no problem at all if they are in mobipocket, text, HTML, or RTF formats.

If they are PDF, then it will depend on the formatting of the PDF document. Many PDF documents will be OK-ish.

But PDF documents with smaller text, and large margins will be difficult to read. There are tools (cropping, zooming, and continuos-landscape mode) that help you read these PDF documents, but it is not ideal.

I too would like a 10" version. But I haven't heard any reliable news of such a product becoming available anytime soon.

As already posted, switching from one document to another probably takes 30-60 seconds.

So far there isn't a more versatile eReader than the iLiad out there (if you need to do more than read consumer books).
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
cfusco
cfusco began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad V2
Battery life for my new Iliad V.2, after 4 complete charges has been exactly 15 hours. When I switched it off it was still functioning, though the battery icon was showing no charge left. I used it for reading for about 3 hours, with some file transferring from my desktop via usb interface and some little use of the wacom pen. The rest of the time I left it sitting Idle.
cfusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I read journal articles on mine, but I'm looking forward to software enhancements that will handle scrolling/panning multi-column pages better. My battery lasts 9+ hours with frequent note-taking. I think Hanlin has been talking about releasing a larger screen model, but problems with producing the e ink screens at that size may be slowing the release.

The main stopper could be the format your math and science textbooks are in. If they are in a digital format they may have DRM that will prevent you viewing them with the applications available on the iLiad. Some proprietary formats can only be viewed using software that is only available for Windows. The iLiad runs linux.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert