Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
and a you can watch a 5 year old tv just as you watch a new cutting edge spec tv. they do the same thing but the cost will be different

this already is a phone- a 4g LTE phone
He's not really comparing ipod touch to this (at least not initially), but cost difference between MID and similar Smartphone, using iPod touch cost vs iPhone cost as comparison. With those, you have two like devices, that were designed at the same time and designed to do many of the same things, using many of the same components, but the end cost to the consumer (when you factor in how much subsidizing is) is hundreds of dollars different.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
My problem with devices that require a data plan is that they always want you to have a huge voice plan (e.g. 500 minutes). I pay $15/month for my cell phone, because that is the cheapest I could find. The minutes roll over if you renew in time. I have about $300 worth of credit on that phone. I only talk about 3-4 minutes a week, if that much. I don't want to pay $35 or more for the voice part of combined voice/data plans.

If I could just buy $5.00 worth of talk time, and have a $20.00 or so data plan, I'd get one of those types of devices in a heartbeat.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
He's not really comparing ipod touch to this (at least not initially), but cost difference between MID and similar Smartphone, using iPod touch cost vs iPhone cost as comparison. With those, you have two like devices, that were designed at the same time and designed to do many of the same things, using many of the same components, but the end cost to the consumer (when you factor in how much subsidizing is) is hundreds of dollars different.
Thanks

And quite a bit different:
  • 32GB iPhone 4 = $749
  • 32GB iPod touch 4 = $299
No way is there an extra $450 worth of parts and R&D in the iPhone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes the BOM for 16gb iPhone 4 is less than $200 http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/New...o-iSuppli.aspx

add another $20 for the added memory for the 32gb model. But the pricing is really about margin. They purposely take a much bigger margin on the higher memory version because of the "perceived value" it generates. The ipod touch is seen as "smaller" in terms of functionality so they take a smaller margin on it to sell more
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
yes the BOM for 16gb iPhone 4 is less than $200 http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/New...o-iSuppli.aspx

add another $20 for the added memory for the 32gb model. But the pricing is really about margin. They purposely take a much bigger margin on the higher memory version because of the "perceived value" it generates. The ipod touch is seen as "smaller" in terms of functionality so they take a smaller margin on it to sell more
Even if you are talking just the 16gig version, that is $649 unsubsidized. $229 for the 16gig iPod Touch of the same generation. I don't see the ipod as having $420 less of value.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not that much. Just look at the iPod touch.
Fine! Samsung has also gotten tired of your whining.

Here you go Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 3.6 $230

They just announced it today I don't know if it will ever be available. I quit believing them a while ago.

Also SONY has announced the Walkman but again I'll believe it when I see it.
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 09-01-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: updated name
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks

And quite a bit different:
  • 32GB iPhone 4 = $749
  • 32GB iPod touch 4 = $299
No way is there an extra $450 worth of parts and R&D in the iPhone.
I think the iPod touch is sold only enough to cover cost(not R&D). Also, and I think this is what your hinting at, I guess there is a markup to make the 2yr contracts discount look attractive.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Fine! Samsung has also gotten tired of your whining.

Here you go Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 3.6 $230

They just announced it today I don't know if it will ever be available. I quit believing them a while ago.
only in the UK for the time being. which probably means only ever available there
Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Samsung: all your size are belong to us.

Maybe they'll get into ereaders. I want a 7" eink not named (ie priced like) Sony.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard

they did get into eink readers. they stopped.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #26
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
they did get into eink readers. they stopped.
I thought they just don't market them outside Asia.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #27
Dulin's Books
Wizard

i thought they were out completely but you are probably right.

meanwhile- the Note is definitely using Wacom digitizer pen http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20...note-hands-on/
Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Glad phones are moving past the 5" screen size. So when the time comes to replace my Dell Streak I don't have to go back to something smaller. I always thought that you could easily squeeze a 5.5" screen from a device with the same outside dimensions. The Streak is humming along just nicely and I suspect it will be fine for another 2 years or so. And by that time, perhaps foldable or rollable displays may have arrived. But if I were in the market for a phone right now, this is what I would get.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #29
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I think many leisure electronics users are image-conscious, and a 5.3" display cell phone is just plain embarrassing. It will fail in the U.S., that's for sure. Maybe it will do well elsewhere.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #30
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I think many leisure electronics users are image-conscious, and a 5.3" display cell phone is just plain embarrassing. It will fail in the U.S., that's for sure. Maybe it will do well elsewhere.
There is only a tiny demographic with an inherant bias towards a tiny phone size.
Middle aged and senior citizens, of course grew up with huge landlines - no view that phones should be small in numbers of any significance whatsoever in that demographic. Nerds, geeks, and gamers...want the coolest toys. Women are split. Most will opt for small except those who wear clothing with no room for a device in their painted on fashions - I see those with large phones for texting. Those who are tweens now are already into video calling and as they come of age they carry a desire for a device to video chat on.

There is no dominant phone size.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote