Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
BTW what does agency model mean?
Higher prices, lower availability, no sales.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Actually, once the site issues have been sorted, the availability will be fine. Higher prices in some cases, lower prices in others, but if we do find eBooks with higher prices, please don't buy them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

I'll change my opinion as and when the situation changes, sure. Right now...

(The publishers have had MONTHS to make sure this goes smoothly. Any mis-steps can be laid squarely at their door)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #19
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Quote:

(The publishers have had MONTHS to make sure this goes smoothly. Any mis-steps can be laid squarely at their door)
So, I just went out to eReader.com to search for the book they pulled off the listings yesterday morning (one of THOSE publishers) and it still ain't there. Wasn't this supposed to be sorted out today? with whatever prices the publishers agreed to use?

How to win customers - make them really angry, wait an unspecified period of time, then make them angrier. The little voice in my ear is mumbling "they didn't like ebooks anyway...they just want us to GO AWAY."
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that we cannot purchase from these publishers on the last day before the new pricing. So really, they've stolen a day from us.
Well... as my mom always used to say...

You snooze you lose.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #21
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
So, I just went out to eReader.com to search for the book they pulled off the listings yesterday morning (one of THOSE publishers) and it still ain't there. Wasn't this supposed to be sorted out today? with whatever prices the publishers agreed to use?
I think the process will take a couple of days at least. I know Amazon has stated that they will need till the 3rd of April before they can start reflecting books based on the new agency model. In their case they should have loads of staff working on getting things sorted.

With Fictionwise I'm not sure how quickly they can get their systems updated. For them it might take even longer.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
I meant the idea, not the result
(In case I'm unclear I'm not a native english speaker and the words 'agency model' put together are meaningless to me)
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
I meant the idea, not the result
(In case I'm unclear I'm not a native english speaker and the words 'agency model' put together are meaningless to me)
A group of the five largest publishers have got together and announced that they will only sell ebooks to retail outlets willing to stick to a set of minimum prices. This is being referred to as the agency pricing model, and is partly designed to stop sellers like Amazon from discounting bestsellers heavily at the time of their hardcover release to attract buyers to their stores.

All the ebooks from these publishers have been pulled from sale over the last couple of days while they get the new pricing structure in place.

Retailers are also scrambling madly to renegotiate their contracts with these publishers.

Until all the new prices are in place it's unclear what the final effect on the various stores and their prices is going to be.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #24
DawnFalcon
Banned

Chlorine - Ah, okay :P

The "previous" model is the "retail model". The retailers pay a percentage (50-55%, usually) of the publisher's cover price of the ebook. How they then price the book is entirely up to the retailer. They can run discounts, rebates, membership clubs etc.

The "agency model" works differently. The publisher sets the price. This may not be varied, period. The retailer gets 30% of this set price when they sell the book. Also, a lot of retailers are putting in clauses that require no other retailer gets a better deal, thus enforcing identical pricing.

This is supposedly "necessary" because Amazon were choosing to sell a minority of books - mostly high profile best-sellers - as loss-leaders (losing money on every sale) at $9.99 to draw in customers.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 04-02-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
A group of the five largest publishers have got together and announced that they will only sell ebooks to retail outlets willing to stick to a set of minimum prices. This is being referred to as the agency pricing model, and is partly designed to stop sellers like Amazon from discounting bestsellers heavily at the time of their hardcover release to attract buyers to their stores.

All the ebooks from these publishers have been pulled from sale over the last couple of days while they get the new pricing structure in place.

Retailers are also scrambling madly to renegotiate their contracts with these publishers.

Until all the new prices are in place it's unclear what the final effect on the various stores and their prices is going to be.

Graham
IOW, price fixing. I note in passing that an ebook I willingly pre-paid for through FW is now missing from my bookshelf and I have been 'refunded' the money. How 'nice' of them. Needless to say, given the publisher attitude that brought this about, I feel no compunction against darknetting it. I had already *PAID* for it but FW had to yank it so that the publisher could charge more??? Nope. Ain't gonna put up with that.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #26
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
IOW, price fixing. I note in passing that an ebook I willingly pre-paid for through FW is now missing from my bookshelf and I have been 'refunded' the money. How 'nice' of them. Needless to say, given the publisher attitude that brought this about, I feel no compunction against darknetting it. I had already *PAID* for it but FW had to yank it so that the publisher could charge more??? Nope. Ain't gonna put up with that.

Derek
I got an email from fictionwise today telling me that some of my pre-ordered ebooks are no longer available.

I don't know what books are referenced.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #27
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
I got an email from fictionwise today telling me that some of my pre-ordered ebooks are no longer available.

Yeah. I noticed they failed to state that on mine as well. However, I only had ONE ebook on pre-order, so it was rather easy to figure it out in my case.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #28
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Thanks for the explanation, Graham, DawnFalcon.
So fixed price means no more fictionwise sales for these books I guess. OTOH I could already not benefit of most sales because geographical restrictions prevented me from paying with credit card.
I do hope the books come back though, I _want_ to read my book!

Ironically, this book in paperback seems to be currently discounted at amazon :/

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Casting...0316991&sr=8-3

(I think I'll end up buying it in paper if it's not back on sale as an ebook on monday or something).
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
IOW, price fixing. I note in passing that an ebook I willingly pre-paid for through FW is now missing from my bookshelf and I have been 'refunded' the money.
At least you have info or a refund, I've none of them and an e-book at my bookshelf I can't download.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #30
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
At least you have info or a refund, I've none of them and an e-book at my bookshelf I can't download.
Give them a few days to work things out...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote