Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Just got a new Paperwhite

I've had a Kindle 2 for a long time and after I spilled soup on it I even went through about $50 buying new parts and hacking it so that I could keep it registered. But I stopped using the protective cover because it kept making the Kindle reboot whenever I picked it up. Tried using nail polish and other stuff on the slots and taped over connections on the inside, but nothing worked. So when I knocked it off a shelf it had no protection and fell right on it's little head and its eyes crossed and it went permanently catatonic and brain dead.

So I bought a PW and a cheap cover by Fintie. Seems to work, although I don't know how you navigate except with collections only one level deep, but that was a problem with the K2 as well. And I had to quit using MoonReader+ on my Android tablet because the PW doesn't use my drop box as a cloud. Maybe there'll be a hack for that, eventually.

The back light or whatever it is does seem a bit "cloudy" or "shadowy" if I'm reading in the dark, but there's probably a setting for that. The other thing I'd like to do is to keep it from going to sleep after 30 seconds away. Can't find that in the settings page.

I got the cheapest Fintie I could get, just $10, on the theory that these devices only last a couple of years anyway so spending an arm and a leg on fine leather is a waste. If they kept the size and physical slotting a standard I could see spending money on a nice one, but they're not gonna do that.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post

The back light or whatever it is does seem a bit "cloudy" or "shadowy" if I'm reading in the dark, but there's probably a setting for that. The other thing I'd like to do is to keep it from going to sleep after 30 seconds away. Can't find that in the settings page.

Have you tried adjusting the lighting? I find it is sort of cloudy if I have it at a 3 setting in the dark, and it's clearer if it's at a higher setting.

The Kindle should not be going to sleep after 30 seconds. It should sleep at ~10 minutes of inactivity. There is no setting to change the sleep interval.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also got my Paperwhite today
My screen is less than perfect though. I have pink and green blotches. Time will tell if I can live with it. Mine is from the 503 series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	550.3 KB
ID:	99977  

Last edited by Joy736; 01-24-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One more picture from me in a dark room. Please be honest: would any of you return a paperwhite with this screen-quality?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	614.2 KB
ID:	99985  

Last edited by Joy736; 01-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
My screen is less than perfect though. I have pink and green blotches. Time will tell if I can live with it. Mine is from the 503 series.
What is the 503 series?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
freewheeling
Nameless Being

No hyphenation or ragged-right justification??

I just discovered that the PapeWhite doesn't have a hyphenation algorithm and not only defaults to full justification, but has no ragged right option! Now that, in a modern eReader, is simply inexcusable.

Can any of this be changed via jailbreak and hacks? I wasn't anticipating jailbreaking this device, but it looks like there's no other way to make it a decent eReader (assuming there is a hack to fix this).
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Joy736
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
What is the 503 series?
It's a batch number. People here were mentioning batchnumbers to compare screens from the same batch.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
One more picture from me in a dark room. Please be honest: would any of you return a paperwhite with this screen-quality?
Hmm.. well, since you asked, I personally would return it. I find the blue blotch in the upper middle quite distracting. Of course, it really just depends on how much it bothers you. I have a friend with a rather blotchy PW and it doesn't seem to bother her at all, so everyone's sensitivity level is different. Good luck with whatever you decide.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Is it the picture or is the black more of a grey?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Joy, it wouldn't bother me. I think it looks nice.

Yes free, there is a hack for margins and for hyphens. See the Dev Corner forum.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Joy, it wouldn't bother me. I think it looks nice.

Yes free, there is a hack for margins and for hyphens. See the Dev Corner forum.
The green wouldn't bother me if it's only at low lighting. All eInk are greenish you just don't notice it all the time. The pink at the corner though would drive me nuts.

Keep in mind that the lower the setting the more mottle it will start to look. This is normal and it varies by Device, font and how well the eInk looks without a light comes in to play. All the light does is illuminate the eInk display so the lower the light the more of true eInk screen underneath you will see. You shouldn't see any pink or bright green though.

Depending on the font I use this can sometimes be really annoying seeing eInk is known to change by temperature. When I first got my K4B it was gorgeous. It was also still summer temps here as winter moved in every time I tried to read the screen would look greenish/ tan till it warmed up after an hour. I use to take it out of the case and hold it in my hands to try and make it warm up faster. Now I have the PW unless I am reading on a low setting in the dark I don't notice this as much and changing fonts can help sometimes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I would, and have. The color blotches are too extreme. Where did you buy it? I get redirected to co.uk when I try nl. Hope the international aspect won't prevent you from an exchange with a new device.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The green wouldn't bother me if it's only at low lighting. All eInk are greenish you just don't notice it all the time. The pink at the corner though would drive me nuts. .
For some reason, the blue/green blotches seem to bother me the most. Although the pink blotch in the upper left hand corner is pretty bad, I have to agree. And this is from a 503 batch. I really just don't believe they have solved this issue. I'll see what mine looks like tomorrow, but I'm not overly hopeful. I know a couple people with the latest 603's are happy, but I'm still not convinced really.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
I would definitely return it. My 2nd PW was like yours and it was so distracting to read. You buy an e-reader for the best reading experience and if the color patches detract from that then exchange it.

My 3rd one is fine and it's a joy to read on!
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
Joy736
Addict

Thanks everyone for responding. Now I know I'm not overly sensitive and the screen really doesn't look as good as it schould. I didn't buy it at Amazon, but at a Dutch website: www.easereader.nl . I should be able to return it to them, I think. Maybe even Amazon will exange it, now that they have the international model. I'm going to think about it over the weekend.