Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
DHahn
DHahn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
TWO OPF files or something like Media Queries in the OPF file for KF8 and MOBI?

So, I have a fixed layout book that looks great on the Kindle Fire, and just fine on the older Kindles. I used media queries in the css (lots of display:none !important and other silliness going on)… but it works.

However, these lines of code in the OPF are breaking the Kindle book, and when removed they ruin the fixed layout version:

Code:

<meta name="fixed-layout" content="true"/>
<meta name="original-resolution" content="600x1024"/>
<meta name="orientation-lock" content="portrait"/>
<meta name="RegionMagnification" content="true"/>
Is it possible to

1) Use something like a media query so that Legacy Kindle readers ignore these four lines of code
2) Create two OPF files, one for the Fire, and one for MOBI

Incidentally, the cover looks pretty bad on the MOBI version, because the Kinidle Fire uses a different aspect ratio. Either of these solutions (or perhaps there's something I haven't thought of yet) would allow me to call two covers in this metadata as well, which would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance… I have looked around, can't find anything regarding this particular issue.
DHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Since Kindlegen creates the mobi and KF8 parts separately, you could theoretically try to generate the non-KF8 mobi without the metadata and merge it with the KF8 part.
For more information on this highly experimental method see the Generating mobi and KF8 parts of Kindle file from separate sources thread.
However, there's no guarantee that the combined file will be accepted by KDP.
Also there's a distinct possibility that fixed layout mobis will be made available only to Kindle Fire users and Kindle apps with KF8 support. I.e. the non-KF8 mobi part might be discarded anyway.

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-08-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Also there's a distinct possibility that fixed layout mobis will be made available only to Kindle Fire users and and Kindle apps with KF8 support. I.e. the non-KF8 mobi part might be discarded anyway.
I suspect this may be the case.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
mrlasers
mrlasers began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
However, there's no guarantee that the combined file will be accepted by KDP.
Also there's a distinct possibility that fixed layout mobis will be made available only to Kindle Fire users and Kindle apps with KF8 support. I.e. the non-KF8 mobi part might be discarded anyway.
When published on Amazon fixed-layout books can currently only be downloaded to Kindle Fire and Kindle for Android. Even Kindle for PC/Mac isn't an option, though it does support fixed-layout books as of the most recent revision.

If you're just producing books for your personal enjoyment, or at least distribution through outlets other than Amazon, the "master mobi" files created by KindleGen will load properly on devices and apps supporting either Kindle Format 8 or the older MobiPocket format. However, if you're intending to sell the books through Amazon there's really no point in even worrying about the legacy readers since customers won't be able to download the books to those devices.
mrlasers is offline   Reply With Quote