Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
Hicham
Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G+WIFI)
Best ereader for college students!

Hi guys,

Could you recommend an ebook ereader for college students? Dont guide me to Kindle please, since it is a real pain to read my textbooks right now with kindle 3. Now I want to buy another ebook ereader since I have more than 100 pdf ebooks which kindle 3 can't support just fine.
Well I am looking for these features:

1- An ereader which is real good for note taking since I take lots of notes during my readings for master degree of European Linguistics.
2- An ereader which support NATIVELY pdf files.
3- An ereader which has wifi.
4- An ereader that has a very good battery life.

So do you think you can help me here? Pls guide me which one to pick up as this time I dont want to make the same mistake I did before when I didnt check lots before getting the Kindle.

Thanks very much and have a good rest of the day.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Look at the upcoming Onyx Boox M90. It supports every file format you'll ever need, has great PDF support, touchscreen and Wifi. But I'm not sure how its battery life is going to be. Gotta wait for 15th of May for official launch.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Asus EEE EA-800 (aka Asus EEE Note) is definately something you should check out too.
It's not an eInk Reader in the pure sense (no eInk screen but a black-white LCD screen) but it does seem like a device that is specifically targeted at students, great for note takeing, also good as an eBook reader (8" screen), it has Wifi support and a browser.
If you are going to do a LOT of note taking than it could be the device for you.
Things you can do with it :
Note taking
eReader
Camera
Voice and Sticky Memo
Photo album
Music Player
Dictionary
Web Browser
Two Games and a Calculator

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mob...e-note-ea800/1

Last edited by kleykenb; 04-30-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Hicham
Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Asus EEE EA-800 (aka Asus EEE Note) is definately something you should check out too.
It's not an eInk Reader in the pure sense (no eInk screen but a black-white LCD screen) but it does seem like a device that is specifically targeted at students, great for note takeing, also good as an eBook reader (8" screen), it has Wifi support and a browser.
If you are going to do a LOT of note taking than it could be the device for you.
Things you can do with it :
Note taking
eReader
Camera
Voice and Sticky Memo
Photo album
Music Player
Dictionary
Web Browser
Two Games and a Calculator

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mob...e-note-ea800/1
it looks interesting, thanks!
Old 04-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Hicham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
Look at the upcoming Onyx Boox M90. It supports every file format you'll ever need, has great PDF support, touchscreen and Wifi. But I'm not sure how its battery life is going to be. Gotta wait for 15th of May for official launch.
how much it costs?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicham View Post
how much it costs?
Onyx's website says €379.00 ($562.36).
Old 05-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
The Onyx Boox M90 is preselling for $399 US at http://www.onyxboox.com/index.php?cP...ar0jkq46pbce86, and I think Dulin's Books is going to carry it as well.

My recommendation would be an enTourage eDGe. You might be able to find an inexpensive one on ebay or at Amazon Warehouse. The eDGe has 2 screens: A 9.7" e-ink screen and a 10.1" Android LCD screen. You can research it in MobileRead Forums at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218 and at enTourage eDGe forums at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.

Two things -- the company might be in trouble, and the eDGe has many unique features, making it more difficult to learn than some devices. If you can handle those 2 caveats, you sound like an ideal candidate for an eDGe.

Whatever you choose, I hope it serves you well!!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
Hicham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
The Onyx Boox M90 is preselling for $399 US at http://www.onyxboox.com/index.php?cP...ar0jkq46pbce86, and I think Dulin's Books is going to carry it as well.

My recommendation would be an enTourage eDGe. You might be able to find an inexpensive one on ebay or at Amazon Warehouse. The eDGe has 2 screens: A 9.7" e-ink screen and a 10.1" Android LCD screen. You can research it in MobileRead Forums at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218 and at enTourage eDGe forums at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.

Two things -- the company might be in trouble, and the eDGe has many unique features, making it more difficult to learn than some devices. If you can handle those 2 caveats, you sound like an ideal candidate for an eDGe.

Whatever you choose, I hope it serves you well!!
thats lost for a student like me ):
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The Entourage Pocket Edge looks good for students, and is only about $200.

http://www.amazon.com/POCKET-EDGE-7-...4256533&sr=1-1
Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well hickman if you wait a little while new models will be coming out shortly which will address your requirement number four using new technology which has reduced the drain on batteries.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Please continue this OP's discussion here.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread