Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #136
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Tragical and sad.
Even tough i can only judge by reading how and what she posted, this makes me beliving that she indeed was a person worth knowing, as those of you hawing known her personally say.
My condolences to her people, and a silent wet-eyed salute to her memory
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #137
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message She is Dead.
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

Patricia was our North, our South, our East and West,
Our working week and our Sunday rest,
Our noon, our midnight, our talk, our song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #138
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
we will certainly do this. but i have never heard of this tradition, can you explain it ?
(For those who know more that I, please correct me politely.)

I have always associated the turned-down glass as a remembrance of British Officer tradition, pre World War I. It would be somewhat like the Legionnaire Officer meal toast - "To our brothers in the sand."

The exact source of it to me was from the introduction to the Modern Library introduction to The Short Stories of H. H. Munro (Saki), by Christopher Morley.

"The smiling bitter rubaiyat from which Hector Munro took his pseudonym were effectively symbolic of his own gift. The empty glass we turn down for him is the fragile, hollow-stemmed goblet meant for the driest champagne; it is of the finest crystal."

(H. H. Munro was killed at the Somme - 14 November, 1916)

Last edited by Greg Anos; 09-07-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #139
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
we will certainly do this. but i have never heard of this tradition, can you explain it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post

I have always associated the turned-down glass as a remembrance of British Officer tradition, pre World War I. It would be somewhat like the Legionnaire Officer meal toast - "To our brothers in the sand."

The exact source of it to me was from the introduction to the Modern Library introduction to The Short Stories of H. H. Munro (Saki), by Christopher Morley.

"The smiling bitter rubaiyat from which Hector Munro took his pseudonym were effectively symbolic of his own gift. The empty glass we turn down for him is the fragile, hollow-stemmed goblet meant for the driest champagne; it is of the finest crystal."

my tradition is more current, US Army
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #140
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
All remembrance traditions are good. I mentioned this one because she was Welsh, and had done so many Public Domain e-books. It seemed appropriate...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #141
GinoXB
Connoisseur
GinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aluratek Libre
My heartfelt condolences to her friends and family in real life and here on the forums.

I'm fairly new to the forums and I've noticed quite a bit of her posts on the threads I've read and of the comments she left on the threads where she uploaded her works. I can't say I'll ever have the pleasure of communicating with her here on the forums. I can cherish her works she's left for us here to enjoy.

In such tragic circumstances I always think of the Robert Frost poem Nothing Gold Can Stay.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

I'll always remember this poem from watching The Outsiders in 5th grade. It struck a chord within me at the time that has always stayed in my mind. I hope the empathy does the memory of Patricia justice.
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #142
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Here is the information about Patricia's funeral arrangements, if anyone in the UK would like to attend the service :

Quote:
The Memorial Service for Pat will be held at 12.30 on Thursday 16 September in the Wenalt Chapel, Thornhill Crematorium. Participants are requested not to bring flowers, but donations can be made to any of three charities (Gingerbread, the Stroke Association and Medical Aid for Palestinians), c/o Tovey Bros Funeral Directors, 9/11 Cardiff Road, Newport NP20 2EH. A collection will also be made on the day.
The Memorial Service will be followed by a private burial for close family only.

Please do circulate news about the Memorial Service to anyone you think might be interested.

Pat has also already received a rather unusual form of e-commemoration. She was a keen participant in the Mobile Read Forum, a web-site which circulates free (and legal!) copies of electronic books. Usually the tone of the contributions is either light-hearted and/or geeky, but the section devoted to Pat is rather different.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...39#post1095039
Thornhill Crematorium is in Cardiff, Wales, for those unfamiliar with it. Thanks Sparrow for suggesting I clarify that.

http://www.remembranceonline.co.uk/m...ll-crematorium

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 09-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #143
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thank you Zelda! I am so glad to see our community recognized and included in the celebration of Pat's life and the arrangements for saying good-bye to her.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #144
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I remember thanking her for some of the so many e-books she shared with us.
I immediately thought she was being very generous with us.
Later, after a few conversations, my opinion of Patricia rose higher: I remember thinking she must have been very literate, intelligent and wise. She really stood out.
She will be remembered as a gracious and remarkable woman.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #145
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
The Marine Corps has the same thing with the POW/MIA table at our mess nights -although I can't remember if the glass is inverted or not. Regardless, like Ralph said, it is great way to remember people and to ensure that they are thought of.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #146
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
The Marine Corps has the same thing with the POW/MIA table at our mess nights -although I can't remember if the glass is inverted or not. Regardless, like Ralph said, it is great way to remember people and to ensure that they are thought of.
in the Army we never invert full glasses (in other words, a glass is always poured for the fallen, then as I said before, either poured on the ground, in a fireplace, or somewhere appropriate at the close of the gathering)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #147
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Please turn down a glass for Patrica, and leave an empty one for those of us who cant be there.
Will do; glad you shared the idea.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #148
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I was never lucky enough to meet Patricia in real life, or to discourse with her at length here on MR, but I always appreciated her posts, especially when they approved of something. She earned a lot of respect from me for her fight to save the access to education.

In a room, there are those who make their presence felt by the power of their voice, or their amazing witticisms, or incredible jokes. Then there are those that can sit quietly in a room, and with the odd remark or raised eyebrow gain as much respect or have as strong a presence as those who talk.

I think the same is true on forums; and here on MR Patricia always seemed one of those whose eloquence was her brevity. I like to think that her presence will be felt and remembered with fondness, laughter and the ZCP.

I raise a glass to a gentle spirit who, in her own way, helped build a better richer future for us all.

Last edited by LazyScot; 09-08-2010 at 04:35 PM.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #149
Luxi
Luxi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My sincere condolences to her family and friends... although I don't write in the forums often, I read them every day so I know she was a great person.

Rest in peace Patricia, we won't forget you.
Luxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #150
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
I remember thanking her for some of the so many e-books she shared with us.
I immediately thought she was being very generous with us.
Later, after a few conversations, my opinion of Patricia rose higher: I remember thinking she must have been very literate, intelligent and wise. She really stood out.
She will be remembered as a gracious and remarkable woman.
You have written very much as I felt about Patricia.

She was what was known as a 'gentlewoman' and a lady.

A quiet achiever, yet whose presence was felt by all.

We were so lucky to have had her.

Love, light and blessings.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote