Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
goth1k
goth1k began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60 with FoxFirmware 2.1
Need a recommendation

Hi guys,

Looooooong time no posts...

Anyhoo, I would like to read a biography of Abraham Lincoln, but with there being so many out there, was wondering if you guys could recommend a really good one to me.

Thanks in advance
goth1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by goth1k View Post
Hi guys,

Looooooong time no posts...

Anyhoo, I would like to read a biography of Abraham Lincoln, but with there being so many out there, was wondering if you guys could recommend a really good one to me.

Thanks in advance
Hi,

You may like to try out Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. It is a book written by Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, published by Simon & Schuster. I had read it a few years ago. It focuses on Lincoln's mostly successful attempts to reconcile conflicting personalities and political factions on the path to abolition and victory in the American Civil War. This book is available on amazon, in Kindle format.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
goth1k
goth1k began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60 with FoxFirmware 2.1
Thanks drjd, I'll check that one out.

I've also seen one titled Abraham Lincoln: A Biography by Benjamin P Thomas. Is this a good read and well written?

Thanks
goth1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
Historiann
Connoisseur
Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Stephen B. Oates, With Malice Toward None is supposed to be good. Oates is a well-known historian. I haven't read it, though, so my recommendation is based on hearsay. I enjoyed Gore Vidal's Lincoln--fiction based on historical fact.
Historiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by goth1k View Post
Thanks drjd, I'll check that one out.

I've also seen one titled Abraham Lincoln: A Biography by Benjamin P Thomas. Is this a good read and well written?

Thanks
I have not read this book, therefore I may not be able to opine on this. Perhaps someone else could help you.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert