Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
"print replica": is there a way to convert it?

I just bought a kindle book that looked ok on "look inside" and kindle for PC, but awful as azw4 on calibre (which I realized after converting to epub, and seeing how awful the epub was), something like a PDF converted savagely to epub for both azw4 and epub.
I tend to react first think afterwards, so I started with an outraged comment on Amazon, then asked for a return / refund, then tried to understand.
I then saw it was a "print replica" format, which I had never seen before. I saw it was a special format which doesn't even seem to be readable on the usual kindle ereaders but only the Fire tablets or android devices.
I'm sorry now I posted my comment before knowing that, I would just have said beware of the format, check that it is ok for you, but I don't see how I can modify it.
The kindle price is $28 but the epub price is outrageous : 82€ on ebook.de or ebooks.com, absent elsewhere, which is the hardcover price more or less, not even the paperback price ($35), so I would really like to be able to convert it, since I refuse to buy it at hardcover prices. Anybody has any idea how to do it?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Print Replica is a PDF in an Amazon wrapper.

You can get to the PDF if you use the KindleUnpack plugin to extract the PDF from the wrapper.

But converting from that PDF to anything else is liable to be messy. But perhaps a PDF instead of an Amazon wrapped PDF will be sufficient for your needs?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Print Replica is a PDF in an Amazon wrapper.

You can get to the PDF if you use the KindleUnpack plugin to extract the PDF from the wrapper.

But converting from that PDF to anything else is liable to be messy. But perhaps a PDF instead of an Amazon wrapped PDF will be sufficient for your needs?
Thank you very much. I just saved the pdf as an html file and converted it to epub, and it's already much better, though some Greek characters are missing (but then, I don't read Greek, so it's just an annoyance for the eyes). I'll have to see how it works with a minimum of work, otherwise I could just crop the PDF and read on the One, but my eyes don't tolerate that for long.

And I just realized that the expensive "epub" versions were in fact PDFs too, so I'll have to deal anyway - or buy the paperback, but I find it more and more difficult to read paperbacks.

EDIT: well, the PDF is readable, but unpleasant, and the epub will need little work more, it is already ok, I just have to jump pages and make a decent TOC. Also on the Kobo, there are no more missing characters (those ? in a black rhomb). I don't know why they were there on the Calibre reader, because I parametered it with appropriate fonts (Calibri, Caudex, Dejavu Serif, Linux Biolinum, Noto Sans and Noto Serif, Palatino and Tinos among my fonts work with ancient Greek).

Last edited by anacreon; 04-21-2018 at 01:01 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Thank you very much. I just saved the pdf as an html file and converted it to epub, and it's already much better, though some Greek characters are missing (but then, I don't read Greek, so it's just an annoyance for the eyes). I'll have to see how it works with a minimum of work, otherwise I could just crop the PDF and read on the One, but my eyes don't tolerate that for long.

And I just realized that the expensive "epub" versions were in fact PDFs too, so I'll have to deal anyway - or buy the paperback, but I find it more and more difficult to read paperbacks.

EDIT: well, the PDF is readable, but unpleasant, and the epub will need little work more, it is already ok, I just have to jump pages and make a decent TOC. Also on the Kobo, there are no more missing characters (those ? in a black rhomb). I don't know why they were there on the Calibre reader, because I parametered it with appropriate fonts (Calibri, Caudex, Dejavu Serif, Linux Biolinum, Noto Sans and Noto Serif, Palatino and Tinos among my fonts work with ancient Greek).
If you must work with a PDF then take a look at k2pdfopt, which can preprocess the PDF file in seveal ways to make it more fit for reading on your kindle. I use this myself for a magazine I get in PDF format.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved post to its own thread
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote