Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #61
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My battery life is horrible. I fully charged it less than a week ago and its 50% drained just in standby mode. I have not even used it. I bought 1 or 2 books and thats it. Just standby mode or what ever you call it. I am going to try keeping the wifi off to see if it improves. In my opinion light level 10 is too low. I keep mine at 15 to 18 which is probably the problem. It seems the screen is darker than the 1t gen oasis

Last edited by HLS; 12-07-2017 at 02:59 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
My battery life is horrible. I fully charged it less than a week ago and its 50% drained just in standby mode. I have not even used it. I bought 1 or 2 books and thats it. Just standby mode or what ever you call it. I am going to try keeping the wifi off to see if it improves.
Keep it in aeroplane mode and it won’t shift off 100% charge on standby. If you leave WiFi on, it’s talking to Amazon and draining the battery.

Quote:
In my opinion light level 10 is too low. I keep mine at 15 to 18 which is probably the problem. It seems the screen is darker than the 1t gen oasis
Have you tried making the font a little bolder? That should allow you to use a lower light level. I find personally that with the boldness on “2” I can very comfortably read with the front light off in a moderately well-lit room.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #63
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Mine still goes down a bit even if in standby. Like overnight. But its not more than a couple of percentages, or maybe 3, depending. Wifi off.

But since I read a lot each day, I charge every other day anyway, or at most 2.5 days. I don't like going all the way down so technically I could probably go 3 days.

I been keeping wifi off, but I might turn it on just to see the difference. Although I keep my light low, 8-10 and have even turned it off in a bright room, one should be able to turn it up to whatever is comfortable. I do keep my bold at #3 and bookerly, which seems overall the darkest font on the serif ones. I can't read with san serif. But if someones eyes need 18 and it shouldn't totally empty a device in a day.

I gave my old PW1 to my husband and he has the light really high on it when it does read on it. Like 20 or so . But he reads mostly with tablets so is used to have that light beam coming at him. One night, lights already out, he showed me something on his phone and it was like looking into the sun. OMG
I knew then that our eyes are way different from another.

I assume the restart and charge all night has been attempted? Check for indexing?
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #64
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Keep it in aeroplane mode and it won’t shift off 100% charge on standby. If you leave WiFi on, it’s talking to Amazon and draining the battery.

Have you tried making the font a little bolder? That should allow you to use a lower light level. I find personally that with the boldness on “2” I can very comfortably read with the front light off in a moderately well-lit room.
I have found the same. Just was on a recent business trip and had boldness set to 2 and put into airplane mode to conserve battery. Found myself turning off the backlight and thought it was quite easy to see in well lit rooms. Did several hours of reading prior to the trip and then used it for over 5 hours during the trip. Battery was still about 3/4 full.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #65
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

good ideas thanks. We should be able to get good battery life regardless given how much we spent on this

Last edited by HLS; 12-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #66
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I'm wondering if a faulty orientation sensor might be responsible for excessive battery drain?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #67
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm wondering if a faulty orientation sensor might be responsible for excessive battery drain?
I would think that would be pretty noticeable, though, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it cause the screen to keep flipping back and forth constantly? (or not flip at all)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #68
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I would think that would be pretty noticeable, though, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it cause the screen to keep flipping back and forth constantly? (or not flip at all)

Shari
Not necessarily, I didn't mean excessive flipping or failing to flip, just drawing excessive power while it is sensing orientation because of some fault. or it could be waking up the CPU repeatedly to tell it to flip the page to its current state.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #69
HLS
Wizard

Its been better useing airplaine mode I still wish you can buy a battery cover like the origional. hell fo rthe price it should have a cover
Old 12-11-2017, 04:53 AM   #70
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Its been better useing airplaine mode I still wish you can buy a battery cover like the origional. hell fo rthe price it should have a cover
I thought the cover was awesome too. But maybe that was a trade off with the IP8? The battery though...I am better the next 7" Kindle has a larger battery. Though as others have said, the quick charge is *great*.

My only peeve is that I need to change the UI settings to see a percentage. I need it on the smallest setting in order to easily read longer titles but am never certain when exactly I am charging it. Doesn't matter because devices seem to 'weigh' certain percentages differently (like my MacBook reports 100% before it is, checking the mah manually through System Report). Just triggers the suspicious part of my mind that tells me that there is something I am not supposed to see
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #71
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have two Paperwhites. Both are WiFi onlly. When I'm reading one--red cover-- the other--brown cover--is charged and waiting its turn. When a Paperwhite tells me it's time to charge, I charge when I get home. Then I set that PW aside. I use Airplane Mode whenever I'm on an airplane and I haven't been on an airplane for over nine years.

My Paperwhites will sit up to three days with a full charge and don't seem to lose any of the charge.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
good ideas thanks. We should be able to get good battery life regardless given how much we spent on this
On ALL Readers, WiFi drains the battery. It's not meant to be on all the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #73
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Mine still goes down a bit even if in standby. Like overnight. But its not more than a couple of percentages, or maybe 3, depending. Wifi off.
same here, overnight dropped 3%, wifi/bluetooth off.

with wifi/bluetooth off and light set as 18 out of 24(firmware 5.9.2), font baskerville size set to 8 and bold as 5, turning page less than 10 in total in one hour, dropped 4% per hour.
when turning page frequently as a few seconds per page, battery dropped much faster, 1% dropped in 5 min.

battery capacity:
Kindle 1, 2, DX: 1,530 mAh
Kindle Keyboard: 1,750 mAh
Kindle 4, 5, 7: 890 mAh
Kindle Touch: 1,420 mAh
Kindle Paperwhite (1st & 2nd gen): 1,470 mAh
Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite (3rd gen): 1,320 mAh
Kindle Oasis: 245 mAh (no cover), 1,535 mAh (with cover)
Kindle Oasis 2: 1,000 mAh

Last edited by vostro; 12-11-2017 at 04:19 PM.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #74
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On ALL Readers, WiFi drains the battery. It's not meant to be on all the time.
Perhaps, but certainly in my case leaving Wifi on on the Oasis drains the battery FAR quicker than leaving Wifi on on the Voyage
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #75
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I agree. I have always left Wifi on for all my devices. I am actively managing Wifi on and off as needed for the KAO2. The battery drain is annoying.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2