Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 04:44 AM   #31
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Hi Joe,

That's what I am seeing also. For me, leaving WIFI on is a real killer on the battery. If I turn it off then I get decent battery from the new Oasis.

I leave WIFI on on my Voyage all the time also and that runs for weeks so there is something different on the Oasis here.

I'd be interested if you would see if you see the same imprivement with WIFI off instead as a test.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #32
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Hi Joe,

That's what I am seeing also. For me, leaving WIFI on is a real killer on the battery. If I turn it off then I get decent battery from the new Oasis.

I leave WIFI on on my Voyage all the time also and that runs for weeks so there is something different on the Oasis here.

I'd be interested if you would see if you see the same imprivement with WIFI off instead as a test.
I get about a week to 10 days on my Voyage, and I'm seeing about 5 days on my new Oasis so far. This is with wifi on, and light at about 11.

I'm trying something new, though...I read on another forum a suggestion to do a full reboot (hold the power button until it reboots on it's own) and then charge for 12 hours. I did this yesterday, and I can tell you that I only lost 10% charge yesterday, compared to the 15-20% that I had been averaging. I've been keeping records since a couple of days after I got it, and I've never had a day where it used less than 15%.

I'm going to continue to monitor, and will see how it goes.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One interesting thing I have discovered is that if you leave the Kindle on the search results screen, and it goes to sleep, it never goes into "deep sleep" mode, and drains the battery very quickly. Battery percent fell overnight from about 70% to 45% that way. So don't do that .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #34
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
harry, after books have been loaded, does it immediately begin to index? i loaded about 80 books last night and it seems that the indexing process is not continuous. i left it connecting to a charger all night with airplane mode on and there was still about 70 to be indexed this morning. my books aren't particularly large. only after i started using it again did i notice that the number is dropping again. but only 4 more have been indexed after about 4 hours. surely it does not take an hour to index a book. and i've also turned off airplane mode. does this matter?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
harry, after books have been loaded, does it immediately begin to index? i loaded about 80 books last night and it seems that the indexing process is not continuous. i left it connecting to a charger all night with airplane mode on and there was still about 70 to be indexed this morning. my books aren't particularly large. only after i started using it again did i notice that the number is dropping again. but only 4 more have been indexed after about 4 hours. surely it does not take an hour to index a book. and i've also turned off airplane mode. does this matter?
See my "Experiences with a large library" thread elsewhere in this forum.

My experience suggests that, even when connected to a power supply, indexing stops roughly 20 minutes after the Kindle goes to sleep. As long as you refresh the screen (or do something) every 15 minutes or so, it indexes quickly, but just leave it and it'll stop.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-22-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #36
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So my "Experiences with a large library" thread elsewhere in this forum.

My experience suggests that, even when connected to a power supply, indexing stops roughly 20 minutes after the Kindle goes to sleep. As long as you refresh the screen (or do something) every 15 minutes or so, it indexes quickly, but just leave it and it'll stop.
thanks.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #37
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Robmonster,
I actually already started a no WiFi Test by putting the unit in Airport mode. So far I have used the Oasis for 200 minutes and I have about 65% battery left. That extrapolates to about 7.4 hours, about the same as my Test with WiFi on.
There must be something else draining the battery.
Cheers, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #38
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shari,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will give that a try. I just need to find a 12hr period when I don’t plan on doing any reading!
Cheers, Joe
Old 11-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #39
jmmcg9
Zealot

I did the restart/12hour charge. So far I have read 115 minutes and have 74% charge left. This is with WiFi turned on. At this rate I will get about 7.4 hours.
The only other test I would like to try is to set the brightness to the level Amazon quotes and see what I get.
Bottom line: my new Oasis battery life is not impressive. While I never formally tested any of my previous Kindles, I would bet the farm that they were much better. I always take my Kindle with me when I travel. I have never carried a charger. That will change.
Based on my reports, do you think I have a lemon? Should I return it or is this kind of battery life typical?
Cheers, Joe
Old 11-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #40
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
I did the restart/12hour charge. So far I have read 115 minutes and have 74% charge left. This is with WiFi turned on. At this rate I will get about 7.4 hours.
The only other test I would like to try is to set the brightness to the level Amazon quotes and see what I get.
Bottom line: my new Oasis battery life is not impressive. While I never formally tested any of my previous Kindles, I would bet the farm that they were much better. I always take my Kindle with me when I travel. I have never carried a charger. That will change.
Based on my reports, do you think I have a lemon? Should I return it or is this kind of battery life typical?
Cheers, Joe
Its really hard to tell. What do you have the light set at? I haven't tested mine with wifi on all the time. The reason for that is that because we have a lot of interference in our buildings, lots of flats and I think it keeps trying to find a good connection. So I have been having wifi off most of the time. I notice the light uses a lot of battery. I keep it at 10 now, but I tried it first at 13-14 during day to see and it did use more battery than keeping at 10.

I didn't have great battery starting out. After about 3 full charges and doing the restart, charge overnight, it is now so much better.
Just in the ballpark, I use about 3-5% of battery in an hour of non stop reading. I use bold at #3, which might use more, I don't know, I use light at 10 or 11, I do not use auto light anymore. I use font at #4. If I do nothing but read, those numbers are what I use. Any time I turn wifi on, download stuff, use goodreads, wiki, etc, it will use a bit more.

Right now I plug it in to charge every other day. If one reads a lot, its pretty normal. It does not last as long as my old Oasis(with cover), but not that far off.

On paper, 7.4 hours per charge does sound pretty low. But its hard to know all the variables that are in your specific situation. Only you know that. If you think its not normal at all, I'd ask for a replacement. Then at least you know for sure.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #41
jmmcg9
Zealot

Atunah, thanks for thee feedback. Your numbers project >20hrs.
I am going to do one more test, using the exact same settings you described. Light settings are the one thing I have not tested.
Cheers, Joe
Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #42
jmmcg9
Zealot

Atunah,
Wow, font size 4 is pretty small....
I think I was on 7 with Bold 1.
Onward in the name of Science!
Old 11-26-2017, 03:00 AM   #43
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There is little doubt in my mind that this Kindle has the poorest battery life of any e-ink Kindle I have had - while being in every other respect the very best e-ink Kindle I have ever had.

I am getting about 3 days battery life, and that is with WiFi turned off (if I need to turn it on to download a book I turn it off again straight away), light setting on 11-13 depending on the ambient conditions and, while I read a lot, I'm not reading any more than I was with previous Kindles. I charged it fully overnight on Thursday. It took ages to go down to 99% which looked very good. By the end of Friday it was down to 73%, by the end of Saturday down to 35%. During Saturday I had the WiFi on for perhaps 3-4 minutes (at home next to my router with a stable connection).

I've decided the best thing is to stop obsessing about the battery so I've switched off the % indicator by going back to regular size for menu fonts. The device is, after all, for reading and, as I say, in every other respect this is the best Kindle I have ever used.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've just recharged my KO2. I'd read for a total of about 12h over a period of 5 days, and the battery was at 18%. That's with WiFi turned off, and using auto brightness settings. I read three books in that time period, and being able to do that on a battery charge is good enough for me.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #45
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just recharged my KO2. I'd read for a total of about 12h over a period of 5 days, and the battery was at 18%. That's with WiFi turned off, and using auto brightness settings. I read three books in that time period, and being able to do that on a battery charge is good enough for me.
Thanks for that data point. A total of 12h would equal a little over 3 weeks going by Amazon's half hour a day measure.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2