Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #436
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arogl View Post
Is it possible to add a check for ASIN like there is for ISBN?

I have a number of books that have ASIN but if there is a ISBN version, this plugin uses that version rather than the ASIN?
Attached is a beta that does this. I had a memory of this request being made before, and when I searched I found this post. In that @botmtl posted a version of the plugin that also queried using the ASIN. I have taken some of the ideas from that and reimplemented them.

So, the changes in this beta are:
  • New: Add search by ASIN or other Amazon id if it exists.
  • New: Use auto_complete API for ISBN and ASIN search. Based on code from MR user botmtl.

The plugin already uses the Goodreads ID or ISBN if they exist. Now, it also looks at the various Amazon ids. These id can be "asin", "amazon" or start with "amazon_" if they are country specific. The plugin tests each of these ids using an API call to Goodreads until one works and returns a book. If none of the IDs match a book, or there are no IDs, then the search is done using the title and author.

These ID based searches are done using the Goodreads auto_complete API. On the site, this is use when typing in the search field. There, if you type a valid Goodreads, ISBN or ASIN, the book for that id will be display in the drop-down.

As usual, please test and tell me how it goes. I have done some testing here, but the more that is done, the better.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-24-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Removed beta as it has been released.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #437
arogl
arogl began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, the changes in this beta are:
  • New: Use auto_complete API for ISBN and ASIN search. Based on code from MR user botmtl.

As usual, please test and tell me how it goes. I have done some testing here, but the more that is done, the better.

Tested on a couple of hundred books, working great.

Thanks again for your hard work.
arogl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #438
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite

I'm tech challenged, so please be patient.
My Goodreads plugin [or all my metadata searches?] stopped working.

This is the error log when I try to use 'download metadata; [this is just an example, it's happened with all my books recently. I tried re-setting most of the metadata search to default but still not getting any metadata. also, I'm using Calibre 2.0, also I tried updating my plugins]

Quote:
Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Blakney Francis'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Bless Her Heart'}
Using plugins: Fantastic Fiction, Goodreads, FictionDB, Google, Amazon.com, ISBNDB
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 11.1949999332
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Bless+Her+Heart+Blakney+Francis
no isbn
response: <Element html at 0x4cd3bd0>
Found match: 0 Bless Her Heart [u'Blakney Francis']
_parse_search_results: 1 first_result[i]: <td width="100%" valign="top">
<a class="bookTitle" itemprop="url" href="/book/show/17725053-bless-her-heart?from_search=true">
<span itemprop="name">Bless Her Heart</span>
</a> <br>
<span class="by">by</span>
<span itemprop="author" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Person">
<div class="authorName__container">
<a class="authorName" itemprop="url" href="https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7027857.Blakney_Francis?from_search=true"><span itemprop="name">Blakney Francis</span></a> <span class="greyText">(Goodreads Author)</span>
</div>
</span>

<br>
<div>
<span class="greyText smallText uitext">
<span class="minirating"><span class="stars staticStars"><span size="12x12" class="staticStar p10"></span><span size="12x12" class="staticStar p10"></span><span size="12x12" class="staticStar p10"></span><span size="12x12" class="staticStar p6"></span><span size="12x12" class="staticStar p0"></span></span> 3.85 avg rating — 55 ratings</span>

published

<a class="greyText" rel="nofollow" href="/work/editions/24793210-bless-her-heart">2 editions</a>
</span>
</div>

</td>

Plugin Goodreads failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify. py", line 44, in run
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 158, in identify
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 232, in _parse_search_results
IndexError: list index out of range
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #439
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Blue2u: That is a known error reported last week. There is a beta with a fix for this in a couple of posts above. I will arrange for a release in the next few days.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #440
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
@Blue2u: That is a known error reported last week. There is a beta with a fix for this in a couple of posts above. I will arrange for a release in the next few days.
Okay, thank you so much davidfor for replying. I'll watch for update.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #441
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Hello I have noticed along with another user that the plugin does not bring the same rating of the Goodreads page of the books. Could you explain what I use in caliber 3.33.1 recently updated version.
Thank you
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #442
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Hello I have noticed along with another user that the plugin does not bring the same rating of the Goodreads page of the books. Could you explain what I use in caliber 3.33.1 recently updated version.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. But, if you are getting inconsistent results for different books, I need some examples of the problem to see what is happening.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #443
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.2.0 - ASIN support

I have updated the plugin today. This adds finding the book using the Amazon ids:

This is the same as the recent beta, but with the version bumped.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #444
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can this field be synchronized?

https://ibb.co/hMiRtA
Old 10-28-2018, 01:56 AM   #445
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can this field be synchronized?

https://ibb.co/hMiRtA
Do you mean, can the rating be downloaded by the plugin, then yes and no. The metadata download can be configured to store the rating. And each metadata source that can fetch the rating can be configured so you only get it from the places that you want. Do this via the preferences.

But, the default rating in calibre is in stars from 1 to 5. The number fetched from the page is converted an integer. There is another version of the Goodreads metadata source that can get the full rating and store it.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #446
dunhill
Guru

Quote:
Do you mean, can the rating be downloaded by the plugin, then yes and no. The metadata download can be configured to store the rating. And each metadata source that can fetch the rating can be configured so you only get it from the places that you want. Do this via the preferences.

But, the default rating in calibre is in stars from 1 to 5. The number fetched from the page is converted an integer. There is another version of the Goodreads metadata source that can get the full rating and store it.
Thanks davidfor

For that reason I saw differences in the qualifications, also the qualification with decimals is varying according to the votes of the users.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #447
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For that reason I saw differences in the qualifications, also the qualification with decimals is varying according to the votes of the users.
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here. I don't know what "qualifications" you are referring to. And for the number of people rating, the only affect I can think of is that the more times it has been rated, the less likely the rating will be an integer. It shouldn't have an affect on whether the rating is retrieved by the plugin or not. Overall, I can't tell if you are saying there is a problem, or telling me you now understand what is happening and hence it isn't a problem.

A recommendation for anyone reporting problems with any of the metadata source plugins is to give an actual example. Include the link to the book that you are having problems with and explain clearly what the problem is. Or what change in behaviour is wanted. And the more details the better. The most useful piece of information is usually the thing where the problem reporter thought, "They won't need to know that."
Old 10-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #448
dunhill
Guru

Quote:
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here. I don't know what "qualifications" you are referring to. And for the number of people rating, the only affect I can think of is that the more times it has been rated, the less likely the rating will be an integer. It shouldn't have an affect on whether the rating is retrieved by the plugin or not. Overall, I can't tell if you are saying there is a problem, or telling me you now understand what is happening and hence it isn't a problem.

A recommendation for anyone reporting problems with any of the metadata source plugins is to give an actual example. Include the link to the book that you are having problems with and explain clearly what the problem is. Or what change in behaviour is wanted. And the more details the better. The most useful piece of information is usually the thing where the problem reporter thought, "They won't need to know that."
davidfor.
Thanks for your answers, the plugin works well I am looking for different configurations online.
I am learning to use it and I did not understand its operation.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #449
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.3.0

I have just released version 1.3.0 of the plugin. The changes in this release are:
  • New: Add get_book_url for pasting URL and getting an identifier
  • Change: Generate HTTPS URL for identifier.

The first item is for a change I made to the metadata editor that has been released in calibre version 3.34. When you press the button next to the identifiers field, if there is a URL in the clipboard, then it will attempt to get an identifier from the URL. That function needs support from the metadata source plugins.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:08 AM   #450
Tamsus
Tamsus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi

Some languages - particularly Lithuanian - use "Sentence case" for book titles. I.e. first letter of the book title is Uppercase, rest of the words are in lower case (if words are not referring to names or places). If title consists of two sentences then again Uppercase letter at the beginning of next sentence.

But problem is that all titles downloaded by Goodreads plugin are converted to Title case. This should be optional. Please see example of Lithuanian book in Goodreads:
"Mirtis šampano taurėje"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ampano-taur-je

And how it is downloaded

Last edited by Tamsus; 11-20-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Tamsus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreads, metadata