Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Paperwhite Dictionary Logic

I made the Easton Bible Dictionary my default on the Paperwhite. However, I notice that the word definitions go first to that one but, if not listed there, it goes next to the New Oxford American Dictionary.

On the Kindle Kbd WiFi only one dictionary was used.

This is definitely a new improvement in dictionary usage allowing the use of TWO dictionaries.

If one designates the Bible Encyclopedia as the default dictionary, one first gets a definition from that book and then the New Oxford American Dictionary AND has in that book direct links to referenced passages of Scripture.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-06-2012 at 08:59 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Itsukki
Itsukki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
I have a KT and my primary language is Spanish but recently I have been reading books in English so I’m using an English-Spanish dictionary and I have noticed that since a time ago, I don’t know how long, if the word is not in that dictionary it will look in the default English dictionary. At least that’s what I think since it gives me a definition and no a translation. Before it just said no definition found…
Itsukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
That is what the Touch has been doing for a long time (don't know if it has been there since the start, or introduced with 5.1.0). And as the PW is simply version 5.2.0, it makes sense that it behaves the same.

BTW, you can further tweak the behavior on the Touch using a patch which will allow you to see all the definitions instead of only one.

(will eventually be available for the PW as well, but don't hold your breath)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I made the Easton Bible Dictionary my default on the Paperwhite. However, I notice that the word definitions go first to that one but, if not listed there, it goes next to the New Oxford American Dictionary.

On the Kindle Kbd WiFi only one dictionary was used.

This is definitely a new improvement in dictionary usage allowing the use of TWO dictionaries.

If one designates the Bible Encyclopedia as the default dictionary, one first gets a definition from that book and then the New Oxford American Dictionary AND has in that book direct links to referenced passages of Scripture.
That's how it works on Kindle Touch as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote