Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #61
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Mine was about 3 weeks when I was reading on it steady. Unfortunately, I've moved on to another reader. Pocket Pro's have some great features others don't, but its be surpased by newer technology.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #62
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Newer technology, such as?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #63
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
The pearl screen, wifi, most ereaders nowdays are integrated with a store so no need to use a computer to buy a book. Firmwares have improved in leaps and bounds.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Newer technology, such as?
The screen on the K4NT beats my PEz
My PEz beats the K4 being able to read EPUB (which I fine tune to my liking).
The K4 uses Mobi which limits what you can do in EPUB and still get when you convert to Mobi.

The K4 page turns are FAST (guess 3X), no pause between pages.

WiFi is handy.

Using the K4 collections to manage series is a pain (even with Calibre & Kindle collections)

The PEz is limited to filenaming series management
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #65
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We're talking about the Ez Reader Pro, right?
It has an LED screen, no e-ink as far as I know, and thus page flips are much faster than any e-ink I know.
The screen of the newer kindle just has a better contrast, that doesn't make it better!

Not having a store on the reader really doesn't bother me!
I prefer it that way actually!

Wifi is a great feat, but not when it consumes battery (when turned off).
Old 12-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #66
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It has an LED screen, no e-ink as far as I know, and thus page flips are much faster than any e-ink I know.
The screen of the newer kindle just has a better contrast, that doesn't make it better!

It sounds like you may have the Astak Pocket Pro mixed up with something that has an almost identical name that is sold in Austrailia(sorry for the spelling, on my first cup of coffee), I believe. Someone else mixed up the two a year or so ago. The Astak EZ Reader and Pocket Pro are eink screens and are no longer sold by Astak. You can get them from their original manufacturer in ?Thialand.

Check out the Mobileread WIKI matrix for readers to be sure.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #67
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

The Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5) is E-Ink (viziplex). I got mine in the first shipment. It is USB connect or SD card (sneakernet load optional )
Not having WiFi is not a bother, the computer is available if one of the 2500 books on the card just won't do
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #68
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Thank you for clearing that up! It seems to be wrongly posted on this website:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...5EZPRO&cat=CON

It would explain why this device has 800x600 pixels.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #69
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up! It seems to be wrongly posted on this website:

It would explain why this device has 800x600 pixels.

The website you listed is the Astak 5" Pocket Pro, which we somestimes call PEZ. It is eink not LED. Apparantly, the geeks.com got hold of some backlog and are now selling them at a great price. The PEZ was $200 when it first came out.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #70
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I'm sorry,
wrong link!

This is the other device (they look so much alike, color aside):
It was $49.99 before, but they raised the price!

Ever since pixelqi's screens have been integrated in e-ink devices (like the jetbook), I am no longer interested in e-ink!

The jetbook lasts 24+ hours on a single charge, more than enough for me, and the screen is faster too!

The only thing I would have wanted is a higher resolution than the standard 640x480 resolution (not good for pdf's), and perhaps color/backlight.
Otherwise I'm very satisfied with Pixel Qi's screen!

I presume the screen of the
The jetbook color will be one of my next devices!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #71
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Nope, that is still the Pocket Pro (or BeBook Mini, or Hanlin V5). They have the spec sheet wrong. It is e-ink.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm sorry,
wrong link!

This is the other device (they look so much alike, color aside):
It was $49.99 before, but they raised the price!

Ever since pixelqi's screens have been integrated in e-ink devices (like the jetbook), I am no longer interested in e-ink!
pixelqi never made screens for readers. So you do have it incorrect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #73
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
pixelqi never made screens for readers. So you do have it incorrect.
I thought so, but they originally created a small batch of 5" screens at the very beginning, before they started experimenting with backlit LCD's that made color.

The screen is obviously PixelQI technology, an extremely thin LCD substrate over a white background and a non-glossy, non fingerprint absorbant screen like e-ink devices.

It's very hard to believe any other company would have created this, unless PixelQi has no license on this technology, or allow just any manufacturer to copy their material.

I know they made small batches about 1 year ago for 5" screens, for what they called 'mobile devices', even though their current screens are only 9 or 10".

It would not surprise me that ectaco had signed up for a few batches for their jetbook, or perhaps just bought one engineering sample (they where quite expensive, in the $400 range) and reverse engineered it, and manufactured their own.

Seeing that they sell the ectaco mini for less than $75 street price, I probably think they manufacture their own screens, though based on a pixel Qi screen!

*Edit: I just read that "Toshiba was the original developer of the low power grayscale LCD screen that this unit utilizes.", still, it is so good, that I have a hard time believing Pixelqi's can be any better (save for a small increase in contrast ratio)

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-10-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #74
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
If this thread is still followed,
How much battery life does the astak ez reader pro have? (week, month...?)
It is quite good, as good as the original V3. Depending on usage it is good for a month. You never need to turn off the device however locking the keyboard is a good idea to prevent accident page changes while you aren't using the device but are carrying it around. It consumes very little power when the page is not being turned.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote